Film better not die anytime soon...

gee-bug

Besides Al, Cosina informed you that the Life magazine of easter 1966 posed a question... "Is God dead?"

You were talking about the "God is dead" debate which is based on a statement not a question. That statement is most associated with Nietzsche.

So you got that wrong as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevor, Cosina got it right. As for being High Priest? I'm not claiming anything, but you might want to do a bit of old testament research as to just who the high priests at the temple were. Now I'm going to head out, pick up my date for the evening, and maybe run a little film through my Leica CL. Jane prefers being photographed with film. Hey, if that turns her on who am I to argue? ;-)

I will really enjoy seeing Al calling all these new Leica M digital owners 'bashers' or apostates when they get their 5000 dollar machines later this year. A whole bunch of folk investing substantial amounts of money in Leica's future being trolled by someone who probably hasn't bought a brand new Leica component for over 40 years and prefers to use a Cosina lens!

<I>I guess when they were younger a lot of them just bought magazines to look at the pretty

pictures.</I><P>

Ayup... Everyone, except Al - what a guy. <P>

I'm shcoked the carpal-tunnel that's set in from all the self-backpatting has yet to see it's toll

on your ability to press the shutter. Friggin amazing!

www.citysnaps.net

"Now I'm going to head out, pick up my date for the evening, and maybe run a little film through my Leica CL. Jane prefers being photographed with film. Hey, if that turns her on who am I to argue? ;-)"

Jane?

You gotta stop giving names to your monkey.

Brad, did you slip up when you wrote >>> I'm shcoked <<<? Ya gotta stop snorting so much of that powder.

As for calling Jane a monkey? She says to tell you not to get within throwing distance of her, and she has a good throwing arm.

You guys need to get a life, stop insulting the ladies, and lose your insecurities.

If my memory serves me, I think Al is referring to the revival of the "God is dead" movement in the late 1960's, The book, "the Last Temptation of christ" was about that time also, and, the "Da Vinci Code" is hardly a new concept, but, regarding this continual "Film is dead, pixels are alive" debate, I think there should be a permanent "Film vs Digital Forum," with no moderation, since this topic seems to stimulate the livliest debates, and does keep some of us 'ol farts awake beyond our bedtime, stimulating long unused neurotransmitters.

LOL Mani.

The news story/issue that had the biggest impact on me when I was 6 was the disaster at Aberfan (Wales) where a primary school was engulfed by a coal tip collapse killing most of the children. A lot of the children were about the same age as me.

http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/politics/aberfan/home.htm

At age six I was not really into theological/philosophical media debates on the question of God's existence.

<i>"Anybody want to know about Leicas? Film Cameras in general? Film use? All that crap? Ask Brad.</i><P>

That's some solid advice. If I ask Brad a question, or if I'm reading his comments, I'm fairly confident that his statements are truthful. On the other hand, aside from a few historical notes about out-of-production film types, I've never seen Al demonstrate any knowledge more profound than what's known by most people halfway through their second semester of Intro Photography. I have occasionally seen him make factually-incorrect statements about films with which I have extensive experience. And I've frequently seen him make completely false claims about what other photographers believe, how they work, and what they know. <P>

"God is dead" is a simple matter of arithmetic. We all know Jesus was the son of God, and Jesus died about 2000 years ago, right? So God must have died around the same time, otherwise he'd be over 2000 years old, which is impossible.

Just to put some oil on the waves, or was it kerosine on the fire, ah doesn't matter.

I was at a freinds a fourtnight ago and since he is working at a small and miserable photostudio with which my father once worked for a mail order company we started talking cameras.

When I menitoned I'm close to buying a Zeiss Ikon he asked if it is digital. When I denied that he advised my not to buy expensive film cameras for my hobby use since they may be unusable in the next two to three years.

His reasoning is that they do E6 once a month now, instead of twice a week as until last year, closed R4 and B/W processing and use their Fuji Frontier for digital images only.

They are phasing out their Hassy H1s with Kodak Pro Backs and replacing them with H2Ds with Phase One backs for on location work and in the studio they use Sinars and Linhofs with two scanbacks and several Phase One backs.

No film for comercial photography anymore. The next monday I visited him at work and got a quote for a nice used H1 with 120 and 220 backs and some film fresh out of the freezer thrown in for good measure :-)

<I>soo true..many have forgotten how fast their own digi gizmos depreciate...</I><P>

And some, who get out and actually make photographs, could care less. My 5 year old

sonycam may only be worth $11 now, but it still works great, and have probably snapped

20K-30K images with it over the years. <P>

Depreciation is mice-nuts in the big scheme of things...

www.citysnaps.net