Wedding Tomorrow! Need some Advice!

suzanne carey

Hi everyone! Well I have my 3rd wedding tomorrow. Everything went

well with the first and second. I learned with the 2nd that I am

totally sold on shooting RAW, so another memory card will be added

to my bag! :)

This is my question. This is an outside wedding at someone's home.

They have a beautiful yard with nice plants, fountains, benches,

etc. Its right next to a lake. But the only thing is, everywhere we

look, there is something "household" like around. For instance, she

had GREAT flowers in her front yard, but to set up formals there

would show the house. If I turn around the other way, I see nice

greenery and cars if they are parked in front of the house. So any

ideas on "appropriate" background choices for formals? Underneath

where they are gettting married cannot happen either b/c there is a

boat house, a boad, etc. in the background. Is having water has a

background a good idea?

Anywho, any experience with this will be great! I already know some

great shots for bridal shots and some individual pictures. I am more

concerned with the larger group formals.

Thanks again!

Suzanne

One of the best peices of advice I was ever given was "lighting first, background second." Before looking for all the best backdrops, look for where your light is best (especially when out-doors), then work within that light to get the best shots you can. You'd be surprised at how big a difference it makes: A beautful background with crappy lighting on the people is going to look crappy, while beautiful light and a so-so background will look much better. If you can get both together at the same time, well that's when the magic happens :) Good luck and do get some rest!

Well, as opposed to trying to get these "distractions" out of your pictures, is it possible to utilize them in your pictures? Anything that would have meaning to the couple? Does the wedding have any particular theme? Can the boathouse somehow be utilized, or everyone gathered about the get-away car, etc. for example. Let your mind wander, something creative will come to mind. Good Luck tomorrow!!!

<i>One of the best peices of advice I was ever given was "lighting first, background second."</i>

<p>Very sound advice. Afterall that's what photography is all about - painting with light.

<p><i>For instance, she had GREAT flowers in her front yard, but to set up formals there would show the house.</i><br>Unless the house is falling apart so what? Have just enough DOF so the group is in focus but the house is OOF (if possible) and then utilize it in your picture. Find a good angle and shoot away. You should be fine. Don't forget to bring the diffuser in case it's bright sunny day and you can't find a shadow.

First of all, find a shadey spot for the posing. If that is impossible, find a spot with backlighting for the time of day you are shooting. THEN worry about the background.

Try to find something where the background is just plain bushes or shrubs w/o branches and clutter.

One time we worked at the brides house which was literally squeezed in between a major highway and a busy gas station! Out to the side was a place that was shadey with tall weeds behind.. and lawn in front. the backgound looked sort of like a jungle.

When the photos came back it looked like they were taken in a pristine country setting.

Whatever you do, try to avoid bright overhead sun and facing ppl into the sun so they squint.

If the house has a porch, you can use this. It is shadey and the shade is not splotchy.. just don't pose ppl right next to walls or next to the stuff like he gas grill!

It's true you should look at the lighting first, but even then, distracting or detracting backgrounds will bug you later when you look at the photos. Believe me, clients notice too. There are several things you can do. First, if the lighting is good, deliberately work the house into the picture and use an aperture that fuzzes it out a little. Second, use a slightly telephoto or really telephoto lens to cut out as much of the background as possible in conjunction with the large aperture to fuzz out the background. Very narrow spots can be used with this technique. Third, sometimes you can use a background where you hide unsightly objects with the bodies of your subject(s).

Thanks guys! You told me just what I needed to hear! The house is acutally quite pretty so I think it will work just fine! We are using a canoe for the groom's pictures. I asked them to leave it just where it was. It will be nice and shady.

I agree about the ligthing. I talked and talked with the homeowners yesterday about lighting. So I think I have a good idea of lighting around the time I need it.

Thanks again! I will post some pictures to share!

Suzanne