Monitor Calibration and Photoshop

Hi,

I calibrate my monitor with Monaco Optix but for some reason, I can't

get the same color in Photoshop that I see on my desktop and Iview. I

tried adjusting the color settings in Photoshop but I always seem to

get a different color saturation within the program -- that is, until

I try to save for the web (the images come out richer/darker).

Can anyone point me to how I can adjust the color settings in

Photoshop so the colors will be consistent with the calibration?

Thanks,

Marvin

What profile are you using for the images?

Photoshop is color managed and it reads the image profile and displays it correctly on the monitor. If your image is Adobe RGB and you view it with software that is not color managed it will appear low in saturation and flat. Non color managed managed software assumes the image is sRBG, this is why save for web appears ok since it is in sRGB profile.

I have the same issue and my monitor has been calibrated with i1 Display 2. All my pictures are sRGB (with & w/o embedded profile) and every software will display them slightly differently. Even the colour of Photoshop CS2 and Bridge is slightly different (and you think they should be identical?). Weird huh?

The question is, are the other software products ICC aware like Photoshop (if so, the previews

should be identical). LOTS of applications are stupid about color. They simply send the

numbers to the display and don't look at the two critical profiles that Photoshop and ICC

aware applications do; your display profile and the document profile.

Thanks for the replies.

Robert -- I think that must be it. I'm always prompted for the color space of the image I'm opening and I always choose the color space of the image (SRGB). I just rememebered that I used to choose whatever Photoshop was set to and that resulted in some color shifting and artifacting in my images. That was when I started always picking SRGB for my jpegs.

Andrew -- I'm not really sure, but as far as I can tell, the images i Iview are consistent with say, the same image loaded as my desktop image if ever I use it as such. It's only with Photoshop that this happens.

So is there a way to still load a jpeg as SRGB but have it look consistent with everything else on my monitor?

The difficulty comes when I try to work on the image in Photoshop -- adjusting curves and levels, etc. When I save it for the web (or anything actually) I get a different result outside photoshop.

Thanks.

I think the issue that Marvin is grappling with is: how does one work in a color managed application (like PS) when the image will ultimately be viewed in a non color managed application (like the typical web viewer)?

One way to handle this is to assign your monitor profile to the image in PS. This will cancel out the color management by PS. Edit and save as you normally would. Then, when you open the image in a non color managed app (like IrfanView) you will see the image as it looked in PS.

-Rob

-->I think the issue that Marvin is grappling with is: how does one work in a color

managed application (like PS) when the image will ultimately be viewed in a non color

managed application (like the typical web viewer)?

Short answer, you can't.

You can in Photoshop have it soft proof how the image will look on YOUR system outside

of Photoshop. But you simply have no idea how it will appear on anyone else's system.

After all, this issue IS the reason we have and need color management!

When I assign my monitor's profile to my working profile instead of using the profile the image came with (either SRGB or Adobe RGB since these are usually photos that come from my camera), it seems to destroy the image (I see pixelation). Then, I have SRGB or Adobe RGB as my working profile and tweak an image as I see it in Photoshop, but when it's time to save the image, it looks slightly different. So I sort of just approximate the amount of adjustments I make. I'm wondering if there's a better way or if I'm really doing something wrong...

Before saving for web convert to srgb. Maybe the SRGB the camera assigns is not exactly the same as generic SRGB.

But normally the working space shopuld be at least Adobe RGB. You shouldn't get the color change if you convert to sRGB in the end.