Me Super what goes bad on them?

rob_murray

Was looking thru my brothers ME Super with F1.7 lens this weekend.

Sure is easy to focus and feels just right. I dont care much for the

cheap feeling EOS lenses on Rebel TI I have now and I really like to

manually focus my shots too. Other than light seals/mirror damper what

is likely to break on these?

Thanks

Rob

The shutter on mine went wrong shortly after I bought it but luckily the dealer repaired it for free. I think mine had lain dormant for a while and when you pull the re-wind crank up to release the door catch it feels pretty rough. I had to replace the light seals but other than the shutter have had no problems. With the 50mm lens its so compact and unobtrusive that I use it a lot for street shooting.

Chris

Hi Rob.

Two problems that I've seen/heard of. The timer seems to get broken commonly and I've heard that they tend to underexpose frequently astop to a half-stop which would only be a problem with slide film anyway.

Cheers,

Doug

The film speed adjustment potentiometer tends to make bad contact. This results in serious under exposure.

This is a common problem and the (only) cure is cleaning of the potentiometer surface. Unfortunately the result is probably not permanent. And because the service is rather expensive (here 80 euros) it may not be worth it.

Does anybody have experience of the result?

I also can report potentiometer-trouble (on several ME-S bodies). Sometimes it helps to turn the ASA-device some times to and fro.

I've got a black ME-S which - having a long time not operated the shutter - does not react at all by the first time, with a delay after immediate pre-operation and successively better aver several releases. Very strange. It is not for a weak battery.

Gerd

• 2 weeks later...