oops, there goes Kodachrome super 8, or maybe not...

Nevermind. I had to read it. They mentioned a petition to save the film. They also said they would consider still making it if you could find someone to develop it. Doesn't Dwaynes in Kansas do Super 8? I can't see Switzerland being the only place. They did say the Switzerland plant will stop development in Dec 2007. So that gives us 2.5 years.

>They mentioned a petition to save the film.<

What is this Mr. Rodgers Neiborhood? Film isn't some big ol oak tree there gonna save with a petition. Someone sign a contract with Kodak for a bulk run of the stuff and yeah they'll make it. Ditto for Dwaynes processing it. Money talks, everything else walks. Thems corporations not charity groups dudes.

I have a hunch that a December 2007 shut-down would be world-wide. Kodak doesn't own Dwaynes, but I have no doubt that there is one or more forms of subsidies to them to keep that K-14 line running. (Gotta be cheaper than keeping Fair Lawn running would have been.) They probably pay them handsomely for processing Kodachrome for Kodak.

I don't think they could keep it going without Kodak's help. (Or without the chemicals!)

With only the K-14 line still running in Switzerland, that must be a money loser as well.

I'm all for saving Super 8 kodachrome, and Kodachrome in general.

The death of S8 Kodachrome was announced two weeks ago. Since then B&H has sold out

ALL of their stock and awaiting more. Does this sound like a dead format to you guys?

And don't give me that BS about "companies only make it for a profit". Well no kidding

Sherlock. But Kodak has been notorious for demanding higher profit margins each year,

like most U.S. companies. If you think it's a film vs digital debate <a href="http://

www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05053104kodakslrdisc.asp">then read this.<a/>

Kodak has dumped their pro digital SLR line to "Concentrate on more profitable sectors".

That means they need to sell more crummy digital P&S boxes to inflate short term

earnings for the almighty shareholders. Looks like Kodak is making a lot of bad market

decisions all the way 'round.

Kodak pulled the 14 MP DSLRs because it wasn't good enough, it's as simple as that. They want to make sensors to other makers and apparently there are better profits involved. Nikon and Canon probably don't net much from their DSLRs either, but they get money from making and selling lenses for them, and those do produce profit.

It's funny. Nikon is pulling out of the point and shoot digital market because they say the profits are low and they want to focus on DSLRs. Kodak thinks there are profits in point and shoots but not in DSLRs. It's all a question of what you can do well. Kodak has trouble making DSLRs because they don't make the whole system including lenses and accessories and as such they get problems with interfacing and have to make compromises which those other companies don't.

I can't really see where Kodak would be competitive in the digital world. Making parts for other camera makers might be it, and software, printing technology, etc.

The thing that caught my eye in the NY Times bit (in the excerpt for un-registered people like I) is: "...discontinue its Kodachrome Super 8 film in favor of a new Ektachrome product."

A _new_ Ektachrome product, eh? That could be A Good Thing.

BTW, for those of you in the U.K.: In my local Jessops, the Kettering branch, last week there were several rolls of Kodachrome Super 8 in the film display. I was surprised. Amazed, even.

Admission, though: I no longer have Super 8 gear. I do have an ancient Bolex standard/regular 8; for which it was possible a few years back to still get black-and-white film, from Tony shapps' WideScreen Centre.

You can still get Regular 8 B&W film from JandC Photo. I bought a local stores last two rolls of Koda Super 8, but they say the chain still has plenty of stock. I did notice the two films I bought expire next month, so in the freezer they went. I may buy some more rolls before the end of 2007 comes up. The new Ektachrome is not a new emulsion. Its been made for years in 16mm. Its too bad they couldn't base it off E100GX film. I believe that one is the closest thing to small grain and the best archival film besides Kodachrome.

http://www.k14movies.com/

The above is Dwaynes website where Kodachrome movie film is developed in North America. Im not sure if Kodak sends movie film to them or just continues to send to Switzerland.

I posted it elsewhere, but for others following this post- here is a response by Dwaynes in Kansas about developing Super 8 Kodachrome in the future:

Thank You for your question.

Yes, we will still be processing Super 8 film as long as the 35mm is still around, even after the Switzerland lab closes.

Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

June Brooks

K14movies.com

So it looks like we can stock up on this stuff and safely not worry about getting it developed.

• 1 month later...
I checked some photo stores that bring in Kodachrome Super 8mm. Some have a few left on shelves, but one store said Kodak's supply of it has run out. So there is basically none left to get other then the stores that may still have some. That was quick. It was only discontinued just recently.