Thank you to PN and first wedding critique request

flyingdoc

Firstly, a BIG thank to this PN wedding forum.

I was asked my by sister-in-law to be the photographer for her wedding earlier

this year - "because I like your photos". The fact that I am not a pro nor have

ever done a wedding before didn't stop her asking.

I knew the potential disaster this type of set-up could cause, but they were

insistant, couldn't afford a pro and said they had "no real expectations" (but

we all know differently, don't we!).

So after a quick 'googling' around I discovered photo.net. I recall spending

many days trawling through these pages, gathering hints, suggestions and many

many warnings not to do what was I was able to attempt.

I must say, in the end, the day was as stressful and tiring as I had expected

... but the knowledge I had gained from these forums gave me the confidence to

ultimately really enjoy the experience.

I've uploaded a selection from the day onto

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=619660, for your critique.

Thank you to all - for your ideas, inspiring portfolios and sense of humour!<div>00HEAb-31066584.jpg.d26734195a3761c3b33efb058c2e083a.jpg</div>

Nice.

Two critiques.

The one where her Father is walking her down the aisle you have the back of some guys head on the left side of the frame. He has become ths subject in this hot. You have to get IN the aisle for this shot, not stand to one side (and yes, ppl WILL look at you). Cull this photo and do not give it to the bride (I would anyway).

The one in the limo looks over xposed and she is two flat/square to the camera.

Other than that a good first effort.

Press on....

NANCY...

I have a feeling that is the groom's head you are talking about. In that case the picture shows the groom waiting anxiously for the bride to come to him in the photo. The bride might just like that photo.

Regarding the pictures. Overall good effort. A bit too much special photoshop effects for my liking but would look nice in an album though.

great photos!!!!

I think that on some you did over photoshop them. They are great without it! It kinda makes

a classy picture cheesy!

Great Job I know the Bride is going to be soooooooo happy. I'm happy for her!

Keep it up!

(I"m a beginner too so I know what you mean about pouring over these questions, I"ve

learned so much from them. I feel as if I actually know some of these photographers! :o)

Casey:

A perfect example of why PJ wedding photography is really more of a personal story board.

IF that is the Groom's head, then the angle should be different and the Bride and her father closer so as to capture expression. This photo would be good if the B&G were closer and you could see the grooms face. The photo of the bride walking down the aisle is a separate photo when they are this far away and they should then be the subject. In fact, in thsi photo there seems to be an xchange going on between the Father and his daughter that would make a super photo if that were the only subject.

I suspect the photogrpaher ahs taken other photos of this sequence that showed expressions and faces where this one could still be culled?

Hi Paul,

I would say you did quite well. You have a style going on, however, it is a bit much on the PS work (IMHO). There were a few that really grabbed my attention and made me want to see more like them. I imagine your SIL will love them, though you may want to offer the non PS'd versions as alternatives.

One thing I see quite a bit of when first time wedding shooters post here is the lack of angles and differing perspectives. By this I mean simply that all shots were from a standing postion. It's not a BAD thing, just a bit boring after a few. It was refreshing to see you had tried a few 'angles/reflections' as part of what you show.

Best, D.

Very well done and a few posed shots (e.g., the dock) that I have not seen before from other shooters. What a great effort and I can imagine the bride will love these as you made her look fantastic. All else is secondary! ;-)

I think your SIL will be happy with these photos. What examples did you check out before the big day?

Have you seen the PPAs publication, Professional Photographer? The publication is heavy on the Wedding/Portrait side of photography but generally great examples of working pros work as well as articles about the photographers. I read it because I like almost anything related to photography. The website is ppa.com

Paul,

Step away from your computer. That knocking on your door is a group of 12 steppers from NAPP. They're going to help you so go with them, quietly. Don't struggle. Please.

Seriously, you shot some great images and then you over-photoshopped them to death. You've clearly got the talent to shoot wonderful pics. Leave it at that. Don't resort to trickery. It only degrades your excellent work.

On a technical side, some exposure issues, blown highlights, and some bad grain issues, but that may be related to JPEG dumbing down for PN. I'm sure your originals look better. Also, a parking lot doesn't make for a very good background, but you knew that.

Paul

Thank you again.

Firstly, yes, the 'back of the head' was the groom. Actually, the walking down the aisle shot was the hardest for the whole day - focusing issues, composition, 'only one shot' pressure etc etc.

I did take more - this was just a selection - I've now added the other aisle shots I took and am interested in your opinions, again.

As well as a steep wedding learning curve, I've also been on a steep photoshop learning curve. I agree I am have overdone it a bit, but I've still got the originals of course and my SIL does like the PS effects (when I showed her some early work) - so I'll let her decide in the end!

Thomas - I mainly looked at the wealth of examples here on PN - by some of the prolific professionals who share their passion here - truely inspiring work.

In regards to the photos with 'blown highlights' - this was a deliberate post-pro attempt at a cross-processed/high contrast/high key look - not sure if it works - thus this critique request.

Paul, didn't know what NAPP was, so I google'd it - I hope you refer to the photo guys and not the 'leaders in pain managament' site I also found!! LOL

When I've got time in the next day or so, I'll post some before and afters.