Speedotron 812

ryan_tacay

Hello everyone,

I just got a used speedotron 812 pack on ebay mint and was wondering

who here has used this pack and what to expect from it. I noticed

it doesn't have a dial down button so I'm assuming you have to move

lights forward/back to control the output or plug into a different

socket? I couldn't find much info on the pack on google and didn't

want to pass up a good deal so I bit the bullet and just got it.

Its blackline so I guess I can also assume that it takes all heads

like the 102 or the newer 202 - right? Anyways, anyone who can shed

some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Output level on the 812 is controlled by switching bu it is limited in adjustability if you

are used to rheostat cdial down of power.

As with all Speedotron gear, never ever ever plug in or unplug a head without first turning

off the pack and then hitting the test button.

Yes it uses all of the Blackline heads.

I think if you go to www.speedotron.com you may be able to find a PDF of the 812 manual.

Thanks for the input Ellis. We use various speedo packs in the studio I work at so I'm fairly used to the safety precautions of the units. This is my first personally owned pack so I'm just wondering how it stacks up against the newer 805 model which compared to what I paid, is triple in price brand new. I don't know much of an annoyance the lack of a dial-down switch is but I'll work around it I guess. I just have never seen the Symetrical/Asymmetrical switch before on any of the packs I've used and was also wondering how that works. Too bad Speedotron only has their newer .pdf manuals on there - there's nothing on the 812 unfortunately.

I have use this powerpack at school. If you won this items, I see a manual in the picture. Did you get it?

I used it once and I believe I still remember. I have an idea on how the Symetrical/Asymmetrical switch work. But I will let someone answer first. If they haven't figure it out, I will reply back.

by the way, you can call Speedotron. They got good customer services Even if that powerpack is out of warranty, they still can help you with your question. I believe their phone number is 312-787-8405

Hi Jose,

I did get it - the manual looks to come with it but I was just wondering about it. I'd like to hear what you know about the symmetrical/asymmetrical switch - we only have the new packs at work and I've never seen one on them before.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 1 year later...

if you look on the back side of your 812 there is a chart showing how to set up your lights to use the asymetrical setting. A basic run through is that depending on which port you plug the lights into those lights run a differant wattage. You say you bought the pack on Ebay? Once you get it check out the back and it'll make more sence.

I have 3 of these packs, and actually am looking at getting rid of one of them if someone wants one. I'll be putting one on ebay with a couple of 103 lights in the next couple of days.