Cutting 6x6 Slide Strips to Mount for Viewing and Projection - How to Do It Precisely?

flying_tiger

I have about 20 rolls of 6x6 slides kept in plastic archival pages.

I'd like to cut out some of them and mount them with GEPE 6x6

antinewton glass mount for viewing on light table. So far I've been

using a pair of scissors to cut them but I had a hard time cutting

them straight. How do you cut your 6x6 slides? A GEPE 6x6 cutter

is too expensive. ($193 on special order at B&H).

The reasons I consider to do this are:

(1) To protect the slides from scratching when viewing without

plastic pages;

(2) For future projection when I can afford a MF projector;

(3) Most importantly, I'd like to send out only one slide at a time

to pro labs for enlargement. I don't want to send out a

strip of slides and risk getting them lost during transit.

Some slides are too precious to be lost( i.e., for one shot

of Upper Antelope Canyon, I have 3 slides of the same scene

on one single strip).

BTW, I understand labs prefer strips to a single slide. Can I just

send in a singe slide for enlargement? In sleeve or mounted (with

antinewton glass mount)?

I guess if I send a slide with glass mount, they'll have to remove

the mount in order to scan the slide. Otherwise, I won't get the

maximum scanning quality (with the glass mount on).

What's the preferrable way of sending in one slide for enlargement?

In sleeve, or glass mount, or glassless mount - for best protection

of the slide and maximum scan quality?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks.

I use whatever scissors I can find and I don't really try to get it absolutely straight- it doesn't much matter and in any case the margin between the slides varies a little so they won't be exactly the same size anyway. From what I can see my E6 lab do exactly the same.

I send one or a few slides to labs in old Cokin filter boxes, which seems to protect them well enough. If I'm sending a whole batch I'll sleeve them and put the sleeves in a 10 x 12 paper box. I send them mounted in card mounts. The labs always remove the mounts but at least I can name and title the slides so they marry the right instruction with the right transparency before they do that.

I haven't used glass for transport since I had a slide badly damaged when the glass broke. The most common plastic glassless mounts from Gepe don't hold the slide firmly enough to stop it moving around in my experience and so they are useless for viewing or projecting.

The Gepe cutter would be ideal, with the built-in light table and guillotine cutter. Since I have a light table, I simply use an inexpensive guillotine cutter from Office Max - about 6 inches on a side - and cut the negatives into strips of 3 using the light table under the cutter. I get the negatives uncut and sleeved, and remove the sleeve after cutting (to avoid scratching the film).

You'll have to find out what form your processor can use. You get the best protection with a glass mount (and perhaps Newton's Rings and encapsulated dirt), and the best image quality with unmounted negatives. Many processors want single frames that are cut, sleeved and marked with cropping requirements on the sleeve.

I'm not sure where B&H got their price from but what you need is GEPE Article #8666 (120 film cutter for 6x6) They make others for 6x4.5 and 6x7. This shouldn't cost a $100.00 I have one and it is great. Next, for convenience you should get GEPE Article #8002,Slide mounting device for 6x6. Probably $40.00. This is a "nice" to have, not a "must". With the precision cutter you can cut your 120/220 film while it is still sleeved, and mail the sleeved transparency to the lab. If you mount it, then the lab will remove it.There are GEPE glassless mounts, but I think the lab. will still remove it if you want it scanned. Why not have the lab make the enlargement "photographically" i.e. via an enlarger, then you wont have to worry about scanning.I think the safest method would be to mail the sleeved single transparency.

I highly recommend you invest in the film cutter unless of course, you don't intend to acquire more 6x6 slides.

CHEAP METHOD...Place a piece of acrylic sheet over the light table and cut your sleeved film with razor blade style knife.($5.00 max)using a steel straight edge.

I'm going to have to agree with Dave on this on Binyuan.I also have been using just a sharp pair of scissors for years with absolutely no problems ever.For storing my favorite slides I used to use the plastic Gepe glassless holders and put them in the heavy,clear plastic pages for easy viewing.Scanning requires any mounting to be removed prior to the scan.I have now stopped using the Gepe mounts along with the page holders because of the sheer accumulated bulk over time in regards to storage space.Now I just keep them in the sleeves...

Thank you for your feedbacks.

I've been using "Print Page" archival page to store my 120 format slides and are happy with it. If I need to project in the future, I'll use GEPE glass mount for projection. For now, it seems unnecessary to mount my slides for scanning or storage.

Binyuan

I use some good heavy 12" scissors and maybe some vodka to become brave enough. Glass mounting slides means risking dust trouble, but I do it this way because my projector has no AF.

Using a SHARP Guilotine cutterwhen the slides are still in their sleeves may be a convenient way out. for you. Maybe you'll like to paint the cutters base white or built in some light source.

Talking scissors: A chance migt be to pribe your local blacksmith (car mechanic or whatever) to wield something to hold ahomemade 90? angle rule to your scissors. If you are willing to use plastic covered, you could glue it. I'm talking about Russian "long hole for adjustment" precission here.

Talking scissors: A chance migt be to bribe your local blacksmith (car mechanic or whatever) to wield something to hold ahomemade 90? angle rule to your scissors. If you are willing to use plastic covered, you could glue it. I'm talking about Russian "long hole for adjustment" precission here.

• 2 weeks later...