kodachrome II

Regular asa 25 Kodachrome II was the more popular Super-8 film in 1965, with no filters required for daylight. Kodachrome II was also made for 9.5mm Pathe movie film too. It was also made for 828/Bantum slides. It was also made in 100ft rolls for the Bolex-8 in double eight, and the common regular 8mm small rolls too.<BR><BR>Before Kodachrome II came out in the early 1960's Kodachrome was asa 10. There was also a Kodachrome F variant balanced for CLEAR flashbulbs too' it required a filter for daylight, Photoflood, and pro 3200K bulbs, but NOT clear flashbulbs. In the early 1950's Kodachrome was also in sheet films, with up to an 11x14 sheet size available. There was a lawsuit/stink when the sheet film was dropped.

Kelly,

While Kodachrome II daylight 25 speed film was avaialble in Regular 8 and 16 mm formats, I'm 98% sure that it was never offered in super 8. The super 8 processing machines ran at high speed that created enough agitation to significantly increase contrast. Super 8 was a different film product. Kodachrome 40 type A slide film was different in several respects from Kodachrome 40 type A super 8 film. I believe the same was true of the K-12 products. (If WSL is reading this, he might be able to shed more light.) It is possible that there was a daylight super 8 film that was discontinued before I started at Kodak in 1974, but I can't find any reference to it.

I defer to Ron since he worked at Kodak but I do believe he is correct. Super 8 was conceived as a system and part of that system was the built-in 85A filter that elminated the need to switch back and forth between daylight and tungsten film or to use an external filter. I'm not aware of any Super 8 camera ever made without the filter and I don't recall ever seeking Kodachrome II in anything onther than the ASA 40 Type A when it comes to the 464 50-foot cartridge. Double Super 8 may have been availble in daylight type and daylight 25 was definitely sold in 8mm and 16mm.

There was one super 8 camera that I know of without a W-85 filter. The Kodak XL-320 camera was built to use only Type G Ektachrome 160. There is an interesting story behind this one. Early super 8 cameras had the filter in place unless movie lights were attached to the camera. Attaching the lights flipped the filter out of place. With the advent of existing light movies, people were taking indoor pictures under tungsten lights without a filter. Since movie lights were not attached to the camera, the consumer had to set the filter switch propperly. A survey of customer film showed that many people were making mistakes with the filter setting. To help these customers, some researchers at Kodak advanced the concept of Multiple Illuminant Sensitivity. The concept was that the film would have sensitivity peaks that were a closer match to the human eye so that color differences between daylight and tungsten were not exaggerated. In practice, the concept was only partially successful. If you shot Kodachrome under tungsten and left the filter in place, the results were about CC70 yellow-red. With the new type G film, it was only CC40 yellow-red.

Although the Type G film was a compromise that did not have very good color reproduction, it became popular outselling the type A variety by about 2 to 1. It was popular enough that camera designers made the XL-320 for this film only. They could leave out the filter and the switch that told the exposure system which speed film is being used. In some respects, this was a low end camera, but it still has an f/1.2 lens and a 230 degree shutter that enabled "movies without movie lights."

• 6 months later...
I just ran into some Super 8 KODACHROME II Outdoor/Indoor Type A film. When I started reading the notes on this forum, it confused me thinking that this film may have been mislabeled, but I have two of these suckers that say the same thing so there is KODACHROME II in Super 8 format. Reuben

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ashley, there are only three places in the world that can stil process KodachromeII and Dwaynes is not one of them. Dwaynes is the only place that can process Kodachrome K-14 process. KII Is K-12 process which has not been in existance for 30 or so years. The only way KII can be processed is into a Black and White Negative. There's no other way. Since it seems that these are rather important the proper thing to do is have them processed as a B&W negative and then transfered to a DVD. It's really the only way to save those memories. The color dyes have not been made for these films for 30 or so years.

Martin Baumgarten can do this. You must email him first as he only takes work on a case by case basis. When it comes to all things super 8 he is THE MAN. super8mm@aol.com Also here's a link as to how to process it yourself: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/k12bwnegdev.html

The only other place is Rocky Mountain Film Lab. They will take forever, 6-12 months, but it will be done right.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/kiimovie.htm

The only other place in the world that can do this is S-8 Reversal Lab in the Netherands. Email first to check lab availabilty and times. http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm

Check the boxes/ carts. It probably says "Process K-12" Could also be K-11. Either way above are the only three labs in the world I know of that can process this for you.

Good luck.

James E