The best folding medium format camera?

Hi all, For the past two years I have bought about a dozen folding

cameras most of them being medium format. But out of all the medium

format folding cameras ever made which is the best? any ideas or

opinions? Many thanks.

I'd incline towards the original Fuji 645 but it's just a little outside our period. Failing that, I suppose the late Super Ikontas have to be in the running for sheer sleekness of design and all round 'wantability'. The top model Isolettes (iii and iv) must also be worth considering. (sigh) so many choices, so little time...

Call me contrary, but my favourite folders are the simplest and (sometimes) cheapest. For example, Balda Baldix, Zenobia, Nettar, Isolette II. The more complex, with rangefinders and automatic frame counters, are too often heavy and clumsy to operate. I'd rather use a Rolleiflex.

I would vote for any of the Super Ikontas from the viewpoint of build quality, but the Super B takes the cake as far as ergonomics is concerned. In the TLR genre the Voigtlander 'Superb' is often overlooked because of its relative scarcity. There is less to go wrong with it than with the contemporary Rollei Automats, and the old 3.5 Skopar has unmatched attributes in comparison.

I'm holding on to my Agfa Super Isolette purchased in 2001. The imaging capabilities of the 4 element Solinar lens are excellent. It also has modern unit focusing with a coupled RF and automatic film handling are two reason. It's a shame that Agfa didn't build a Super Record version of the camera for 6x9.
Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

By the way you ask the question, you will get a clue for ultimate but unafordable cameras having top lenses.

Small 'classic' model : Voitglander Bessa (or the even smaller Perkeo) II with Heliar or Apo=Lanthar lens.

A little larger but still easy to carry : Plaubel-Makina with Nikkor F2.8 lens.

Also, with the necessary bellows replacement : the younger Fuji GS645 with EBC 75mm F3.5 .

Regardless of price and if the condition is great, i would pick the Plaubel-Makina because it brings a relatively fast top lens in a small package. Something quite unique in medium format.

I know the best for me is my Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Novar lens, el cheapo.Its a small, not in your face type camera, in fact you could say she is friendly.Set her up before you even put your eye to the viewfinder and take your picture.

She may not be the 'best' for some, but for me she does just fine.

I have several Super Ikontas and personally prefer the C - because of the 6x9 format. I have never cared for the square format.

I'll toss another into the fray: the "Baby" Linhof Technika IV. It uses 120 (or 220) rollfilm,has interchangeable backs so you can pack several film types. You can also shoot sheet film. It has interchangeable lenses, rangefinder or ground glass focussing and many view camera movements. You can hand hold it or stick it on a tripod. It is a folder and so fits your criteria. Negatives - they are not inexpensive and weigh a ton! But - they give SUPERB results.

Ron Gratz

If you are talking about 6x6 folders I think the Mamiya 6 (NOT the current version) is the best. Fold-out mechanism is not very strong. Lens speed is limited to f/3.5 but there are items with Tessar-type coated Olympus Zuiko lens. Automatic frame spacing and an extremly rugged focussing mechanism which moves the film gate and which is coupled to the rangefinder.

6x9 folders: probably the Super-Ikonta 6x9, or good items of the Moskva-5. The french Royer Teleroy is excellent, too, but very hard to find.

All of the cameras suggested here are the best. I have used many of them and the only reason I haven't tried them all is I haven't lived long enough yet. Anyway, Marcus, you'll need to decide what particular qualities you personally want in a folder. Like any camera the benefits of using a folder results in a series of trade offs. Light and compact is the hallmark of the folding design, and for that reason and ergonomics my current favorite is the Kodak Autographic Special Model B with the 90mm B&L Tessar. Another camera which comes in a close second is a modified Six-20 Special which is basically a Kodak Monitor without the double exposure prevention mechanism and German quality bellows. Ergonomically speaking the Six-20 Special is better but the front focussing cell is a drawback compared to the rack and pinion mechanism on the Model B.

Don't start me going. No, really, don't start me going! Oh all right then, you started me going.

Jurgen Kreckel, aka Certo6, reckons the Super Isolette is the best. I would probably just about agree with him. Certainly I think the Super Ikontas would struggle to match it. The build quality is fantastic and the lens is superb. I can't tell the difference between the images from my Super Isolette and my Kowa Super 66 (the poor man's hasselblad).

That having been said, I actually prefer the handling of the Mamiya 6. The Bessa II is a great camera, but it's left handed and I'm a right hander. The thumb wheel focussing of the Mamiya is the most convenient system by far.

If I had to reduce my collection from 12 to just one, I think it's the Super Isolette which would stay with me.

Yes the Voigtlander Bessa II has it and you do not need the RA Apo Lanthar since the Colour Heliar is exactly the same lens. This camera fits in your shirt pocket it will produce 600 mm enlargements with ease.