Extender for use with 80-200 f2.8L

ken munn

I used a Tamron with mine when I had one. Performance wasn't bad but there was a small loss of sharpness. The rear element is right up against the back of the lens if I remember right, so (as stated above) the Canon TCs don't fit.

<p>As noted above, and in the 70-200 and 80-200 reviews in the static content, the 80-200 is not compatible with any of Canon's TCs. So you'll need to find a third-party TC which doesn't have a protruding front element. Given how good the 80-200 is, you don't want to buy the cheapest TC you can find; that's like buying a Ferrari and putting $10 tires on it.</p>

António Ferreira wrote: "It seems that both the sigma and tamron 1.4 are the best."

The Canon TCs have a protruding front element which is why they don't work on the 80-200/2.8L - the Sigma TCs also have a protruding front element and are not recommended for the 80-200/2.8L.

Either the Kenko Pro DG (~USD$195) or Tamron Pro (~USD$180) are the usual 'quality' TC of choice for the 80-200/2.8L.

Kenko's 1.4x recently received an update (designated "DG") that Kenko says offers better lens coatings to fight flare - the new Kenko is black, while the Tamron is white... The older Kenko Pro was white.

--