The places I am most interested in are the Channel Islands NP (yes,

I saw the April thread by Louie Escobar and just tried to resurect

it), Joshua Tree NP (is it going to be too hot to go there in late

June?) and the three commercial wildlife attractions around San

Diego: Sea World, SD Zoo, and SD Zoo Wild Animal Park. What are some

other places I should check out? I have read about good bird

photography at Bolsa Chica (?), but I am afraid that would bore my

kids. But since this is the Nature forum, I will stick to questions

about that rather than other interests like astronomy and museums.

(If anyone would care to email me about those, please do.)

Thanks, Larry

To be honest, this isn't the best time of year for doing nature photography in SoCal. As

you suspect, Joshua Tree will likely be very hot, but morning should be OK. It's been an

exceptionally wet year so plants -- even in the deserts -- are doing well. You might even

find a few residual flowers, especially at higher elevations in JTNP. <P>

Bolsa Chica has many nesting terns that should be very obvious in June, but yes, your

kids will likely be bored, plus there is a lot of renovation work going on there and I'm not

sure what the access is like.<P>

The SD zoo and WAP are nice (if you like zoos) but will be very crowded. The WAP offers

many more opportunities for photographing genuine wild animals -- lots of native birds

frequent the grounds -- but it may be quite hot in June (or not, depending on what the

marine layer of cool air does on a particular day). I have not been to Sea World in many

years but it was extremely commercial and offered very few 'nature' photo

opportunities.<P>

Of the places you mention, the Channel Islands may be the most interesting, but also the

least accessible.

I live in Northern California, but am somewhat familiar with SD/LA area, so few comments:

- Speaking of Bolsa Chica, they have black skimmers nesting there during summer time. Actual nests are away at the island so it would be hard to see them, but during morning and before sunset adult birds fish skimming atop water with their lower mandible dipped in. If you have never seen them, this looks impressive and funny. There are also other birds like terns. Photography wise, June usually is not a very good month since they have fog hanging around lagoon, but you may stop by with bird-watching intent.

- SD Zoo is one of the best I have seen and you can certainly spend plenty of times there. Sea World is also nice as entertainment place; may be not quite as rich in wildlife as the zoo, but kids will like it; do not miss opportunity to feed and pet dolphins.

- If you go to Wild Animal Park and can afford it, I'd suggest buying "safari" trip on the truck. You will see animals much closer, much better and will be able to feed and pet rhinoceroses and giraffes (you can also feed giraffes at the feeding station, but off the truck it is much more of an event). They have two types of trip, one takes 1.5 hours, another 3 hours and takes you over much more areas and animals, but is also more expensive (longer trip used to cost around $150 per person if memory serves). If you can afford it, longer trip is advisable, otherwise consider at least shorter truck trip. Buy it for the last departure during the day, this way you will maximize your time elsewhere as trucks returns already past zoo closing time, and light is also not going to be as harsh. Don't expect it to be very serious photographic opportunity though. Definitely take cameras but be aware that majority people on the truck are not photographers so truck motion will be driven by their needs and you will have only so much leverage; you can cry "photo stop" once in a while, but won't be able to do it all the time. You will be able to take some images of animals, but overall I'd suggest to perceive it as family / entertainment event with animals in the backfround, rather than wildlife photography trip. By the way, trucks are bumpy, so if you carry flash extender with you, tape it to prevent it from falling to truck's bottom or worse overboard, and also tape fresnel to the holder.

Even if you cannot afford on-the-truck trip, simply visiting Wild Animal Park for a day definitely worth it.

- I know less about deserts, but during June it is going to be searing heat there. If you go at all, make sure you carry *plenty* of water and is well aware of safety measures should your car fail.

- While at SD, you can drive through La Jolla. Breeding pelicans will be gone in June for their breeding grounds, but non-breeding birds will be at the cliffs (i.e. I expect them to be, check with local birders). Cliff is across the cave so you can visit cave as well and possibly rent a kayak. I am not sure where they rent kayaks, but there is a lot of people kayaking there all the time so I assume they have rental station close by. If you are into diving or snorkeling, waters there are full with fish (it is marine sanctuary) and you may also be able to swim nearby seals and sea lions. Some of them like to bask down pelican cliffs during daytime and you can approach them fairly close. Remember to bring binoculars though.

About half-mile to a mile south of pelican cliffs there is "Children's pool" now occupied by seals colony, so you can do some seal-watching there. With some luck, you may also be able to spot sea otters.

About mile or two north of pelican cliffs there is Scripps Institution of Oceanography that has an aquarium.

If you go to San Diego count for the Wild Animal Park, be aware of Cuyamaca State Park. This is south of Julian (nice town) and is very pretty country. There are trails, Cuyamaca lake, lots of deer in the evening, some big trees (oaks, pines) in places, etc. Still not sure of what level of impact the fires of 2 yrs ago had.

Mount Polamar is also nice... where the 200 inch Hale telescope is at. There is a state park there as well, but Cuyamaca is bigger/better. The drive through the back roads from WAL park to Cuyamaca is quite pretty. -Greg-

By late June we'll probably be out of June Gloom (which follows May Gray). As others have noted, the deserts will be getting quite warm, generally unpleasantly so.

I'm not a beach person, really, but one thing about Bolsa Chica is that it's across the street from a state beach (I believe it's part of Huntington State Beach but don't know). If you had other people with you, you could easily combine the beach with Bolsa Chica. I wouldn't consider splitting them off at age 11 to go one way while you go the other. This is a major, popular beach and there would be thousands of people and it's just a non-starter to do that. I don't live close enough to there to give you any current news on rehab/construction of the beach or wetlands - I'd hope it would be done by the start of summer season.....

If I had to prioritize from a picture standpoint, it would be the Wild Animal Park, the Zoo, then Sea World. June 18 through September 5th, the WAP is open later - gates close at 8:00 PM but the park closes at 10:00, things settle down, the air is cooler in the evening, the later daylight hours, etc., make staying late worth some planning. The Zoo also has late hours. The Zoo might be number 1 from a kids standpoint. Sea World is mostly live shows but there is some hands on and self paced viewing. Expect somewhat crowded conditions. I'm not sure I'd spend the money on the Photo Safari's (haven't yet) but you might want to consider the "Roar and Snore" sleepover - they provide meals, tents and next day's admission, and a sleep out in tents near Kilima Point in the WAP right near the big enclosures.

You might want to consider the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. You drive in to a canyon on the east side of Mt. San Jacinto on the north end of Palm Springs (which will be hot!!), drive back up the canyon to about 3000 feet then there is a tramway that takes you up another 5000 feet to about the 8000 foot level and you are in a mountain top pine forest. Now this tram sweeps up though this canyon and you go from desert and palm trees to subarctic life zones. It is not for the faint of heart. You are hundreds of feet in the air as you go up, trundle over the towers, etc. The oinly way out if you change your mind is to walk out, and that's a rugged many hours hike. At the top it's got a view that may allow you to see maybe 100 miles or more depending on weather. It's typically 40 degrees or more cooler up there. There's a restautant, etc., and hiking in the wilderness area if interested. It's several hours hike to get to the peak. It wouldn't be unusual to see deer and coyote up there and a variety of birds. Maybe big horn.

Many years ago I was in Joshua Tree NP in June, I remeber two things there was a LOT of wildlife and by late morning it was HOT. It was so hot in fact my father had to turn on the heat to keep his old Dodge from overheating!

Hi Larry,

I don't know much about the coast, but I enjoyed a past family trip to Carlsbad and Oceanside. It looked like there were plenty of nature photography opportunities to explore with the next trip to Legoland, perhaps at Camp Pendleton as well.

Here in southern Nevada the flowers are still in pretty good shape above about 4,000 ft elevation. They are drying out rapidly with 100F days in this sunny dry season between winter fronts and summer thunderstorms. Bring water and drink frequently, wear hat and sunscreen, light cotton or other cool fabrics.

Joshua Tree may be fine for an AM visit aimed at higher parts of park. Hotels in Indio or perhaps in Twentynine Palms could be a cheap way to make a dawn entrance, either going from Indio to S side of park off 10 and driving up to the higher NW entrance off 62, or just taking 62 towards Twentynine Palms to get to higher part of park.

There are some scenic roads in mountains S and E of Temecula, south to Julian and Cuyamaca(?) state park on 79, going all the way to I-8, or east from Temecula via Anza to or from Palm Desert on 371 and steep, winding 74 to get up to Idylwild or down to I-10 (a possible late daylight short cut home from Joshua Tree, or an early destination in itself). There were several large fires in these areas 1-2 yrs ago, after my last visit.

Temecula has a nice wine area that can be picturesque.

There's an aerial tram from Palm Springs up to about 7,000 ft mountain top that you may want to research if you plan to head over towards JTNP.

As you gain elevation and get away from the metro areas it's surprising how dark the skies get for your astronomy interest.

Search this forum for wildflower threads to get links to most current CA info. Here's one I'd bookmarked earlier:

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/wildupdates.html

Best, Jay

These kind of questions (S Cal) always bring back lots of memories. Two additional pieces of info...

* temps at Cuyamaca are generally fairly mild, due to elevation

* east of Cuyamaca is the Sunrise Hwy, impressive. Off the hwy is a trail to Garnet Peak (perhaps the rd is more improved than it once was). From the top of Garnet Peak you can look off a several thousand foot dropoff to the desert below.

If someone hasn't mentioned Torrey Pines (south of Del Mar), that's very nice. Lots to do on the coast (cooler)... quieter inland. Enjoy! -Greg-

Seeing your mention of astronomy and museums, Balboa park - San Diego - has a number of very impressive museums, including the Ruben Fleet Space Theater (I think they call it). North of San Diego off the I-15 near Pala, is Mt. Palomar, after a rather windy road through the oaks, there is a pine forest at the top with a small state campground (IIRC) but also the Mt. Palomar observatory. Some landscape possibilities. The San Gabriels north of Los Angeles can offer some mountain landscape vistas and mount Wilson might interest you. Quite a view, at night especially! It's a mountain drive though so it's the kind of thing that can bring on motion sickness and nderves if you aren't used to things like that.

In Los Angeles there a number of outstanding museums in Exposition Park - science, and natural history, etc. The Page Museum at La Brea centers on the tar pits.

Going north up the coast, the mountains behind Santa Barbara offer a couple of lakes, then futher up the coast, from San Luis Obispo, you can go to Morro Bay which offers birding, kayaking, etc., and then not too much further past Cambria, the elephant seals at Piedras Blancas (check on those, they are kind of seasonal) but that area offers a variety of birding opportunities, not unusual to see wild turkey, deer and sometimes the condors.

That's getting a ways north though.

Southern California is a big place and a little more detail on location where you plan to be may help generate suggestions. BTW, they may not accept the excuse but Disneyland is often very, very crowded in the summer.

Thanks to everyone so far. In particular, I'd like to say hi to Jay as I haven't seen your name here lately. You used to live in Chicago, didn't you?

Here is a tentative itinerary:

MONDAY--fly in to LAX, drive to Sea World, stay near SD. TUESDAY--spend whole day at Wild Animal Park, take either the Photo Safari or Deluxe PS. WEDNESDAY--go to SD Zoo and Balboa Park (where and how far is Mt. Palomar?). Drive to Indio to spend night. THURSDAY--get up very early (read: not as hot) and drive through Joshua Tree. That way, we should hit the hotter Colorado Desert early in the morning and the not as hot Mojave in the afternoon. But yes, I know it will be hot and remember once driving through Death Valley in July. I used the 'turn on the heater when overheating' trick that time and a few others.

Here's where I need even more help: the Channel Islands NP. I can either go Friday, if I can get back to Sherman Oaks in time for an evening dinner. Or I can stay in Sherman Oaks and piddle around the city Friday, then drive early Saturday for a full day excursion to the Channel Islands. How crowded will the Channel Islands be on a Saturday in June? Would I be a LOT better off going on Friday? It just makes the schedule tight. My only obligations are an optional Friday evening dinner and a Sunday 4:00 pm wedding.

I also need to decide which Island to go to. Quang-Tuan Luong, whose work I highly respect, says, "For photography, I'd pick Anacapa. For the experience, I'd pick Santa Cruz." But I need to consider my kids, too. We like hiking, which would make Santa Cruz better, but there seems to be a better visitor's center on Anacapa. Who else has been there and what do you recommend? Also, which ferry company do you recommend?

The thing that sounded the absolute best out of all the suggestions was the Roar and Snore at the SD Zoo WAP. Unfortunately, they only are offering that on Saturday night/Sunday morning that week. I would need to drive to Sherman Oaks, check into a motel, change and get to the wedding by 4:00 pm. I just do not think that would work. But I will check out the last Photo Safari offered to get the best light and relief from heat. The Park at Night programs also sound good.

If I stay in Oceanside or San Clemente (I have relatives in Orange County) and drive to the WAP in Escondido, and to Sea World and the Zoo in SD, will traffic be awful? I really do not want to stay in SD due to the cost and the crowds. Also, my kids may enjoy a swim in the ocean. Any recommendations for a motel in Oceanside or San Clemente?

Should the Zoo and Sea World each get a full day? I have heard about Torrey Pines being nice, but what exactly is it? Again, can I go by Mt. Palomar on the way to Joshua Tree? Any suggestions for a motel in Indio? And speaking of astronomy, is a visit to Mt. Wilson and/or Griffith Planetarium worthwhile while in LA?

OK, I have rambled on long enough. I may come back with even more questions later. I really appreciate your help and need it. Southern California has always been foreign territory to me.

<I>I have heard about Torrey Pines being nice, but what exactly is it? Again, can I go by

Mt. Palomar on the way to Joshua Tree? Any suggestions for a motel in Indio?</i><P>

Torrey Pines is a small but scenic state park on the coast north of La Jolla. It protects

some of the last wild groves of Torrey Pines. As to your location questions, you really

need to look at a map. From San Diego, as you go north on the 15/215 freeway, you hit

Escondido (WAP) after about 20 miles, and then the turnoff to Mt. Palomar after another 20

miles or so. Joshua Tree is FAR away from Orange County or San Diego -- probably two

hours AT LEAST in zero traffic -- and if you drive anywhere near prime time (morning or

evening commuter traffic on weekdays) it will be a lot more than that. As for where to stay

in Indio, my personal preference would be to stay near one of the north entrances of JTNP,

either in Twentynine Palms or in Joshua Tree. Those two towns will be pretty hot -- but

probably 10 degrees cooler than Indio (which is at much lower elevation). Also, they are

much closer to the park itself than

Indio -- from the latter you need to drive (I'm guessing here) 15-25 miles east on the 10

freeway before you get to the JTNP turnoff.<P>

For birds (maybe not for kids although there is a nice little city park next door), a pleasant

morning's walk is in the Big Morongo Reserve, just north of Morongo Valley. THis is a BLM

riparian area with wonderful cottonwoods and willows over a permanent stream -- quite

the refreshing scene in otherwise stark desert terrain, and full of nice birds (vermillion

flycatchers, etc.). It's on the same road (I forget the highway number, sorry -- but its

obvious on a map) that connects the 10

freeway to Twentynine Palms and Joshua Tree, only closer to the 10.

I'd recommend staying in Oceanside or places south if you plan on an early drive to SD. Great place to visit would be the Cabrillo National Monument in Pt. Loma. It won't take a lot of time, great views of SD harbor, kids will enjoy the small museum and lighthouse. Don't miss the tide pools, turn off is just before the park. The drive to the NM is through the national cementary and is awe inspiring and humbling. Do this first thing in the morning, then the SD Zoo and Balboa Park or Sea World, probably not time for all 3 in a day. Then back to the North County for a night and visit the WPA the next day. Just did this excursion in April and was well pleased with the result. End of June is peak tourist season--expect lots of people almost everywhere.

If you are driving back to Sherman Oaks area from San Diego I'd suggest the inland route (I-5 to S-134 to 101 FWY) to avoid the congestion around LAX. It's a bit longer, but usually quicker.

Good luck and enjoy Southern California.

Karen Seagle

Torrey Pines has high (several hundred feet) sandstone cliffs that are eroded into unusual and very pretty patterns. There are trails with overlooks to the beach and one trail that goes all the way to the beach. Excellent photographic/viewing opportunities everywhere from the top to the bottom. If at the base of the cliff where the trail meets the beach, take a look at the marine fossils in the rock. The park is one of the nicest coastal areas in S Cal.

The park is so pretty that it became a popular place for some couples to get married... at the overlooks. There used to be a trail called 'Fat Man's Misery' that went through a canyon which bottlenecked to about 18 inches wide, but it was closed down years ago. I still have my old park map that shows Fat Man's :)

I can't help on the Channel Islands but your assessment sounds about right from what I've seen - Anacapa is somewhat more photogenic. I think you might be pushing it to try to do an island Friday and back for an evening engagement. I believe the NPS limits numbers to the islands so while there'd be more Saturday, I don't think it would be unbearable. Friday you could hit a number of museums or the beach - Malibu - but also the Santa Monica Mountains area, Malibu Lagoon, Pt. Mugu, El Matador, El Pescador (Robert H. Meyer Memorial State Beach) etc., offers a variety of beach and "mountain" opportunities. If you drop down to the Los Angles/Long Beach harbor area, you've got Palos Verdes which offers landscapes and beach/island views, at San Pedro there are a number of restaurants at Ports of Call and a nautical museum, and to keep nature in it a variety of sea birds hang out in the area. Gulls (of course) but also pelicans, cormorants, and I've seen Great Blue herons at the old boatyard at 22nd Street landing and black crown night herons hang out as well, especially around the sports fishing docks. Check Ballona Creek, there may be some birding opportunities there.

I live in the Chino Hills area (southwestern San Bernardino county about where LA, Orange, SBDO and Riverside counties come together) so almost always take I-15 south to the WAP. If I had to guess, Pala is something less than 1 hour north of San Diego so the 20 minutes to the WAP and 20 more minutes on freeway north sounds right. I recall the drive up the mountain being longer/slower than I expected - very twisty so I'd allow 1/2 hour after getting off the freeway (I think Pala is the exit).

I'd also agree that Indio is out of the way and staying in or near Joshua Tree/Twenty-Nine Palms is a better idea. Coming up from the San Diego area by any route to get to Joshua Tree during commute type hours will run you into congestion. The two main (essentially only) routes are the I-5 which would slog through southern Orange County until you got to the 91 even coming up the toll roads or 55 or 57. The I-15/91/I-215 routes would get serious congestion in the Corona, Riverside and San Bernardino areas but would be fast than the I-5 option.

Oceanside or even San Clemente to the WAP would not be too bad that's kind of against the main commute flow. Oceanside would be faster although there is some congestion for Camp Pendleton. San Clemente you'd cross Camp Pendleton on the I-5 and don't recall any problems there but usually don't use that route. I can't suggest any motels because just haven't used any in that area. Unfortunately I think you'd find most pretty expensive due to the density of tourist attractions in both directions and nearness to the beaches. I hate to recommend Motel 6 blindly as some are better than others but there is a convenience factor to the reservation process. There are often somewhat cheaper options but tracking them down is tougher.

I agree that the Roar and Snore would be pushing it but not impossible but Sunday would be about the only day I'd consider trying to make that schedule. North on the I-15, quick jaunt to the west on the 91 (but maybe even stay I-15 to the 60 or 10) then west to the 71 (the 91 is a main roue to the Orange County beaches from Inland Empire and almost always crowded - the 71/91 junction area has a lot of construction going on), north there to the I-210, then west to 134 and 101 (basically the same freeway, numbers change) to Sherman Oaks. That bypasses the bulk of the main L.A. basin traffic and is most convenient from the WAP.

I'd also agree that trying the Zoo and Balboa Park is tough in a day, trying to add Sea World would short change something. The Zoo night hours activities (if open then-check schedule but probably is) are also very pleasant and a nice change from the day. BTW, food at any of the venues isn't cheap!

I'd maybe suggest not trying to fit it all in, a couple of days in the San Diego area and then in the L.A. area without trying to rush through J Tree. The area is big enough that trying to fit it all in will mean lots and lots of driving.

An alternative from the San Diego are to J Tree is the Anza Borrego State Park. It's much closer and it would also be quite hot.

The California State parks website is pretty extensive and has a lot of useful information.

Hi Larry, thanks for the hello! Yes I moved from N IL to S NV.

Given limited time, heat concern, and sprawl along I-10, the idea of Morongo Valley and NW JTNP, all off 62, might be better use of cooler daytime hours. You could play it based on weather and try a Super 8 or Motel 6 in Indio if less hot, and skip the lower park if it's hotter on the week of your visit. Check locally (maybe feedback here) for how much there really is to see in lower SE part of JTNP this June, it's probably long after everything has bloomed.

From job sites in eastern San Bernardino County I drove a few times to see relatives who used to live in Temecula area, driving via Amboy or Desert Center to stop for night in Indio. The 79/371/74 route from Temecula to Palm Desert & Indio is scenic but best completed in daylight, so if you go, allow 1.5 hrs without any stops to get from Temecula to Palm Desert.

Sounds like you can't miss with this trip to coast, mountains and high desert. Have fun.

Best, Jay

Legoland is our nine-year-old son's favorite place on the planet, and it has a terrific

temperate climate (it's near the ocean). We like the Wild Animal Park, SD Zoo, Sea World,

and Balboa Park, in that order -- and La Jolla's beach/scenery. The entire San Diego beach

area has a comfortable year-round climate, certainly better than the L. A. area in general.

Also, what Kelly said....

Brandon's Dad<div>00CPd1-23901084.jpg.35e7936046584d5c4ad3a677f64f8129.jpg</div>

A very common failure mode for a vistor to LA is to blindly think the quickest route is the most direct one; and wrongly think just in miles; not bog factor; which varies alot with the time of day.<BR><BR>There can be major traffic bogs; good times to travel from A to B; and bad times with snail traffic.<BR><BR>Often midwesterners will ask <b>how far</b> is it to Knotts Berry Farm; Hollywood; Malibu Beach; Venice Beach; San Diego Zoo; etc. A local might say it is X hours at 9am; Y hours at 7am; Z hours at noon; horrible at Jpm.

In Sherman Oaks, there's <a href="http://www.laparks.org/shermanoaks_castlepk/index.htm">miniature golf</a>.<br>

<br>

There's also <a href="http://www.laparks.org/grifmet/gp/">Griffith Park</a><br>

<br>

And the <a href="http://www.lazoo.org/">LA Zoo</a> which isn't as good as the San Diego zoo.<br>

<br>

To leave for the channel islands, will you be leaving out of Long Beach? There's also the <a href="http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/default2.html">Long Beach Aquarium</a>.<br>

<br>

Enjoy,<br>

Tom<br>

(who used to live in Sherman Oaks...)

Larry,

I took my family on a Southern CA. excursion last summer at the end of June into early July. You've got lots of good suggestions from the experts, some of whom also helped me when I posted a question here on pnet before my trip. I can hardly believe you don't want to "experience" Hollywood while you're there, but to each his own. And Venice Beach is definitely something to behold.

In addition to LaJolle, the zoo, the animal park (we did the long safari and loved it - hey, I figured I'd only be there once, so I splurged) and Sea World already mentioned, I'd highly recommend a whale watch from Santa Barbara. This time of year you're likely to see Blue Whale, and while they don't breach like the Humpbacks do, they're still an awsome site. In addition to the whales, you'll see plenty of dolphins and seals/sea lions, and anything else that happens to be frolicking about. We even saw a small tornado over one of the Islands. And I enjoyed the boat trip itself as well.

Have a great time, and be safe.

Bill

Camp Pendleton and Oceanside are not meant for tourists. TRUST ME! You need to take a bath after driving through "Oceanslime". And unless you're in the Marines, Camp Pendleton doesn't offer you much. When you go to southern California, you will see how dry it is and understand why they have so many bushfires. I prefere the forests of the northern area of the state.

MR