really low ratings this morning

Well, being as "average" is a 4, and in your own words they "weren't that bad," I'd say the ratings are starting to accurately reflect the offerings!

I mean ok, I guess "not that bad" and "average" are points of view, but really - most SHOULD be "not that bad" (4) if you consider that this site sees the uploading of thousands of photos a day, right?

I just have a question for people: Have you ever had a gallery show and heard some guy in a herringbone jacket with leather elbow pads saying to the woman he's making time with that your stuff sucks?

Who cares

Even more so, who cares what some robot in Thailand "thinks"?

Who cares!

Geez guys, relax! Was just asking a simple question!!

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but I gotta say, I'm feeling a little batterd myself now!

You're mistaking my curiosity for some sort of dependency on ratings!

Get over yourselves.

Have a nice day now, you hear!

:)

Ellen

Hi Ellen, <br><br>

There are times when some programs randomly rate peoples photos and can produce low ratings on some of them...I noticed the problems some days ago myself. Photo.net admin staff corrected the issue as they discover it. <br><br>

Perhaps this will make you feel less batterd. And your work is very good...Looking forward to seeing more of it.<br><br>

-Jay

Thanks Jay, yeah I had suspected bot-action, that's why I asked in the first place.

I don't take much notice of my own ratings (they change daily depending on how they were allocated lol) but am really about open conversation/discussion about mine and others images!

I often find the Site Feedback forum frustrating - so many people ready to jump to the negative!

Cheers, Ellen

Actually, I was just responding as casually as I thought you'd written - no offense intended, Ellen.

See if the pattern persists past 15 images, and check some of the recent threads on the Admin's intention of the averages lowering.

Meanwhile I'll get over myself. Is there a pill for that?

Have a great day now too.

hmmmmmm - perhaps not a bad idea, but then everyone (well, maybe not everyone) would simply insert a link to their portfolio in the comment. This is just personal opinion, but I think the bots are now giving threes and fours rather than ones and twos. If you give enough threes and fours, it has the same effect. One set of threes and a set of fours demotes a photo considerably, if they have the standard ten ratings of, say, an average of six. The last photo I posted for critique went from 3/3 to 6/7, but that's pretty standard these days, and is why the ratings in the default TRP view are lower. And I agree that anonymity for the raters will bring generally lower ratings - but probably not by much. Best Regards.

bot-action = robot-action.

These are ratings generated by a program designed to influence image ratings (as opposed to ratings given by humans based on image quality!).

Some people either act like bots or write bot programs. Photo.net has a system that looks for these and removes them when they are found.

Think of it as "robot wars". It's yet another indication that some people have too much time on their hands and need to get out more.

unbelieveable !!.. here i am, new to the site - signed up even.. and I really want to improve my ability, wanting feedback - positive AND negative and thee are people who try to sway the ratings. This is not a good testimony, not of PN but of a certain element.

I am kind of flabergasted that Bots are used in this enviroment.

I like rateing although I am a novice and most likely suck at rating.

Ellen you gave me a fine comment on one of my photos and I have loved your work, very diverse.

This site has made me think better of how I shoot. caused me to be better. Feedback is important to me and I am sad that the need to be great or to alter the rateing of others is less than I expect from the fine folks that work this site.

AMEN! I think there is not a lot of thought (on some peoples' part) when rating. To me the most important aspects are 1) comments; qualified well thought ideas and suggestions and 2) views. I have some photos that are rated from 2 to 7.

• 10 months later...

hi there, just browsed by....personally my ratings have just bit the big one...and im just going to concentrate on constuctive critiscim that i can learn to a better photographer.

taking pictures is just a natural extension of who we are.

so just enjoy the images and forget the rest...

cheers

evan