Ricoh GR Digital - Moriyama - Glorious Grain?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff:

I don't know yet because the first (and still only) time I had to change the battery was after I

did a ROM upgrade, which apparently uses a lot of power. Perhaps Kei canb respond.

You're right this thread was fine intil the usual Leica Forum Bozo's came in.

--Mitch/Lubumbashi

Sorry guys - can't believe this thread is still going :P

Jeff, the battery life really depends. Someone posted that it was for 235 shots and I remember reading the same somewhere. I haven't tested it or anything but I've used it for a day of full on shooting without any probs. If you turn of the LCD in back it'll last longer. There is a function to do this is you are using the external VF.

It's quite small. Not gr-1 small but it's still a small pocketable cam - way smaller than the Hexar AF. The grip/feel of it is great too. RAW does take a while, but I, as well as a friend of mine who uses it quite a bit, find the jpegs to be fine. You can turn off the noise reduction so there's no smearing. I'll check back if there are any more q's.

GRD Batteries: I have shot over 200 pictures in an afternoon on one battery with the viewfinder and the LCD off, but with the camera on most of the time. I think the manual says 250. The battery indicator did go down into the last third, but the camera was still working. I always carry a few AAA batteries as a backup, but they don't last long (<50 shots).

Agree with Mark re battery life. About 200 shots with charged battery and normal 'chimping'. I also use aaa batteries as backup. 4 aaa's store nicely in a film cannister - that is 100 shots. The GRD has been the perfect companion to my M7.

I live in the tropics, so your shots your be less in cooler places.

I bought the Voigtl䥮der 28mm viewfinder in black metal. Found a second hand one cheap.

Usually turn off the lcd, and compose through the ext viewfinder. Saves on battery. Snapshot

mode is fixed focus at 3 meters as far as I remember. No autofocus noise or delay. With my

SD card RAW takes 13 seconds, so I shoot jpg, which is fine.

Toke

<i>"I bought the Voigtl?der 28mm viewfinder in black metal. Found a second hand one cheap. Usually turn off the lcd, and compose through the ext viewfinder. Saves on battery. Snapshot mode is fixed focus at 3 meters as far as I remember. No autofocus noise or delay. With my SD card RAW takes 13 seconds, so I shoot jpg, which is fine. Toke"</i>

<p>

Does the CV finder block the flash?

• 1 month later...
I thought about buying the Ricoh GR Digital, but because of the bad reviews about nosie, was hesitant. I would like an option to be able to turn the noise off. Ricoh Should have addressed the noise issue before putting out the camera to the customer.I do think people are justifying the noise. Yeah, it looks good in some pictures, but what if i dont want it at all? Your stuck with an expensive camera that won't produce noiseless photos. Seems hardly fair considering the price you pay for one of these cameras. I trust DPReview and Steve' Didgicam websites. They have been quite accurate in what is desirable and wanted in a digital camera. I wish Ricoh would come out with an improved version to address the noise issue.

I thought about buying the Ricoh GR Digital, but because of the bad reviews about nosie, was hesitant. I would like an option to be able to turn the noise off. Ricoh Should have addressed the noise issue before putting out the camera to the customer.I do think people are justifying the noise. Yeah, it looks good in some pictures, but what if i dont want it at all? Your stuck with an expensive camera that won't produce noiseless photos. Seems hardly fair considering the price you pay for one of these cameras. I trust DPReview and Steve' Didgicam websites. They have been quite accurate in what is desirable and wanted in a digital camera. I wish Ricoh would come out with an improved version to address the noise issue.

I have just ordered and paid for a GR-Digital Creative set (includes 21mm convertor and 21/28mm finder and filter adaptor)

I am expecting them at the end of the week.

I too read the DPreview and others. However what I am particlarly impressed by is feedback from actual users and posted results from actual users. (On lots of different websites as well as PN) This always counts for more than lab test results or comparisons with A vs B when the person has not gone into the field to use A or B in the way they were intended to be used.

Quality of lens and ergonomics and ease of use (for someone who is used to manual control of parameters) is more important to me.

I have a Panasonic DMC-FX01 for casual 'low involvement' snapping and a D70 for the times I must use a DSLR.

The GR-Digital actually seems like quite good value when you consider it will have a high quality 28mm f/2.4 and a 21mm f/2.4 lens and it takes filters and offers manual control of aperture and shutter speed without using menus.

Testimony from real users suggests that the noise associated with higher ISO speeds is comparable to B&W film grain and the evidence supports that. Evidence also that it makes a good infra-red shooter (with a suitable 37mm filter) This appeals to me also.

Now all I need to do is wait for it to arrive!

• 5 weeks later...

Based upon this thread (and others) I bought the GR-D last week. I bought it for 312? which is appr. the same as I would have to pay for a Fuji F30 (which I bought too)

Anyway when the digital crowd proclaimes a digital product as sh*t this is when I want to check it out. The gr-d I think is a fantastic camera which gives you the opprtunity to disguise that you shoot digital. The noise/grain at 400 and 800 translate into the most beautiful grain you can find, tweaking the image further in CS2 produces beatuful images at all sizes. It's a pleasure to hold and handle, it's production quality is pretty good. It isn't spectacular camera by all means, but nice for an ex-leica M-shooter. I also had the 28 voigtländer finder which performs well with the finder-les GR-d. All in all at it's curent prices of around 350? it is a pleasurable digital camera which i can reckomend to anyone wanting to shoot digital with a diffenrece