Ricoh GR Digital - Moriyama - Glorious Grain?

In Singapore, on the way to Africa, I bought a Ricoh GR Digital that I haven't yet mastered. Here are a

couple of questions:

1. In January or last December, Nippon Camera published pictures in Shinjuku taken with the Ricoh GR-D

by Moriyama Daido, and had an interview in which he apparently spoke about the siginficance of this

camera. Could anyone who read this summarize what he said?

2. I bought the GR-D because of it's lens quality and also because it's "noise" is supposed to be very much

like film grain. As I like grain, I've been experimenting shooting with the GR-D at ISO800 and ISO1600. For

people who use this camera the question is: do you prefer shooting RAW or JPG? I understand that the

RAW format pictures may give you a stop more in dynamic range, particularly in the highlights; but it

seems to me that the Ricoh engine for JPGs is very goood and I'm hard pressed to get my RAW shots taken

at ISO800 and ISO1600 to look as good as the JPG versions that the GR-D produces. What do other GR-D

users think?

--Mitch/Lubumbashi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mitch

I use the GR-D

The RAW is tooooooooo slow unfortunately, so I use jpg. The "high iso noise" is fantastic (as

in artistic) I use it a lot on 1600 iso. I often use the camera in snapshot focus mode. That way

I don't get the annoying shutterlag, or the autofocus noise. Have fun. Toke

Stu:

>>>why did you go to afrika via singapore? i thought you were based in bangkok<<<

There are currently no fdirect lights from Bangkok to Johannesburg, but Thai will start flying

this route in October. Actually, I was in Sydney and could not get a seat on the Qantas/South

African airways flight to Jo'burg, and had to take Singapore Airlines instead.

--Mitch/Lubumbashi

(1) shooting color and converting to BW

(2) shooting jpgs (don't have the patience to shoot RAW)

(3) haven't made any prints yet but will try some tonight. I've only got an A4 printer but I'm

sure they'd look good at that size.