useful modifier?

Barndoors are really a throwback to the old days of tungsten lighting. Their control of the light is fairly minimal and they don't do anything that can't be done with a black flag.

Honeycomb grids on the other hand control both the spread of the light and it's size, they are expecially useful for controlling/preventing flare when used for backlighting.

I use barndoors only to block light into a diffusing panel or onto a large reflective surface. If a set of barn doors weren't a part of my first strobe kit, I doubt I would have bought them. <p>I use grids on a backdrop, either to create a vignette or a graduated tone on the background. They are good for creating a hard edged shadow within a close ratio lighting scheme. Grids are useful as spots on a face light by a large softbox. Will Crockett likes this technique... placing a grid directly in front of a large softbox, to create a hard center light on a face in a portrait softened by the larger diffused softbox, presenting both types of light from the same direction... t<div>00HGzB-31141184.jpg.040d49e1f34061bba1ddc0dbcc9fbf52.jpg</div>