james_taylor11

I need to purchase a backpack and I�m trying to decide between the

Mini Trekker and the Compu Trekker. I would like the extra space for

the laptop, but I�m wondering how well the support is for it. If I�m

doing some strenuous hiking is the computer well protected? Anyone

crack a laptop screen using this thing?

Thanks,

James

I just picked up a CompuTrekker a couple of weeks ago, so can comment on my initial observations:

It is a bit bigger than I expected, but has ample room for my 5D with 70-200L lens, which was a main concern. It also nicely fits two or three other lenses, a 580EX flash unit, with lots of extra room for batteries, etc. It looks like it could accomodate a 2nd body pretty easily at the expense of one of the lenses. Creatively configured you might even get a 2nd body with a small lens attached in there somewhere. The laptop compartment is more than big enough for my Powerbook 15", which is a larger than average laptop in terms of width.

The laptop seems fairly well protected, in as much as there are 1/2" or so fairly rigid pads on each side of it. It is allowed to move around a little from side to side, though. All in all I'd definitely take the Powerbook on a trip through the city with it, but I'm not sure I'd wear the thing while mountain biking. Anything in between would be a bit subjective. (Noting that I'm a bit overly protective of my laptop sometimes.)

As it stands, I'm pretty happy with the bag as the camera/lens/laptop/stuff side of a mobile studio setup. I just wish that my monolights, tripod, and muslin backgrounds were lighter.

james, nothing evil has ever happened to my laptop in it, but i haven't hiked any with it either (the laptop that is). but what i do miss about it is a proper waist belt, previous poster is right about it taking plenty of gear, which after a bit of walking only gets heavier. just thought i'd add my opinion, though i don't have much to add regarding your real question....

The laptop pocket is well padded, and just fits a 15" Toshiba Tecra. It is convenient for carrying a laptop by public transportation - air, train or bus. It would probably be OK for hiking, but the extra weight of the laptop might be a bit much. I take the laptop out except from point A to B. The harness is surprisingly comfortable and stable. I've worn it for long periods at trade shows.

The Computrekker is relatively free from fussy straps and buckles. It hold its shape well and has a very convenient and effective tripod pocket. This tidiness makes it much easier to travel with. I prefer it to my Photo Trekker, which is more adjustable (or misadjustable) but floppy and harder to open and close. I also have a Computrekker Plus, which is about the same size as a Photo Trekker.

Thanks for the responses,

I was concerned that when I was wearing the backpack I would be putting undue stress on the laptop (it looks like the laptop rides at the back of the pack). However, from all the responses it looks like this pack will work just fine.

Thanks,

James