4x5 Scanner? Also Beseler/Minolta head for 45M?

adam_derstine

As much as I love printing my 4x5 negs, I wouldn't mind being able to

scan them as well. What's a good place to start with a 4x5 scanner?

A friend wants to sell me a Nikon AX-1200 for 100 bucks. It does the

job, but is 12 years old and only interfaces with SCSI.

And now for the interesting bit:

In college the darkroom had what I think was a Beseler 4x5 enlarger

with perhaps a Beseler/Minolta head and a neat control panel with a

calculator to do things like make the transition to a 11x14 from a

5x7. It controlled the height of the stage, etc. Can't find those

things around. Who has seen that? What is it called? Gear lust is

rough.

Thanks for any leads.

Adam

The enlarger head might have been the Beseler-Minolta (or just plain Beseler in its third and final version) 45A color head. It had a control panel that did a lot of different things. I don't remember it actually controlling the height of the enlarger but I vaguely remember that it would automatically calculate a new time if you punched in the new print dimensions (which may mean I didn't use it to control the head height or may mean it isn't the 45A head you're thinking of, in which case you can disregard this response). The 45A was a great head for color, not so great for black and white (very slow since the red lamp didn't function with b&w). The 45A was discontinued about seven or eight years ago when Beseler and Minolta couldn't agree on the terms of a new license. A guy named Daryll Nicholas, who writes for Shutterbug occasionally, was the 45A guru and he was appointed as Beseler's agent for repairs and parts for the 45A. He's totally digital now so I don't know if he still performs that role or not but if you really want to pursue this you probably could contact him through Shutterbug.

<i>In college the darkroom had what I think was a Beseler 4x5 enlarger with perhaps a Beseler/Minolta head and a neat control panel with a calculator to do things like make the transition to a 11x14 from a 5x7. It controlled the height of the stage, etc. Can't find those things around. Who has seen that? What is it called? Gear lust is rough. </i><<p>

<b>Who needs that stuff? You can do the simple math in your head and save lots of money and free yourself of complicated hardware that's more likely to fail than your head is. I hope. </b>

Adam,

I use an Epson 3200 to scan my 4x5 transparencies. It does a pretty reasonable job for

what it is. Keep in mind... it isn't a drum scan! :)

Anyway, there's lots of them out on the used market these days and they're going for a

pretty low price. You can probably pick up a rebuilt for less than $300! Perhaps, someone

who has bought one recently will wade in with actual costs. Or, you can check the

completed listings on ebay and see what they've been selling for. :)

Of course, the newer model Epson 700 or 750 will cost you many more buckaroos! :-)

Cheers

I have the 45A head, but didn't like it and put a dichro head on the 45M

instead. It definitely does not control the carriage height. You calibrate it using

the desired print, readjust the head to the new print size, press a button and it

adjusts the exposure to the new height. It uses flashing strobe lights and I

found it annoying to use.

I don't know much about the Nikon scanner but I use an Epson 4870 for all my 4x5 scans

with great success. Keep in mind, there is a little more to it than just hitting the scan

button to get a good scan but it is definitely possible. I will say that I think unless you are

willing to ship your negs off and pay big buck for a drum scan the scanner is the weak link

in the film to digital process. My prints look great at about 24"--haven't gone any larger

but would suspect they might begin to show the weakness of the scanner much bigger.

From what I have read/seen about the new Epson V700/750 there is some real

improvements to scan quality but they are a bit pricey. You can pick up an Espson 4870

for not much money these days and you will be very happy with the results. My prints up

to 24" do not look any different than printed at 8x10 and they both look as good if not

better than what I got from the wetlab.

Hope this helps.