Digital cameras, main concern is for IR photos

jim kerr

Do you want an dSLR or a prosumer body ?

<P>

I shoot digital IR with a Sony F828, which gives me a 28-200 Zeiss lens and excellent infrared ability using the nighshot mode (which moves the internal IR-cut filter out of the lens path) and screw on filters. I've been shooting with mine for about a year and a half now, and really like the package. There are some limitations like the 1/30th shutter speed maximum, but I use the 'motor drive' or a tripod to negate that problem. <P>

I have been reading lately about a company called maxmax that can modify a dSLR into a IR-only shooter for about $300US plus the cost of the camera if you need a SLR. <P>

You can see examples of my 828 infrared at <a href="http://www.abstrakt.org/i/">my website, abstrakt.org</a><P>

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I currently use a Fuji S2 Pro w/ #87 filters. I used to shoot Kodak HIE and Maco 820c IR films. I can tell you that once you go digital IR you'll never go back :)

There is one problem that I have w/ the S2, tho' it might be the uncoated fliters, not sure. If I shoot stopped down a lot I get a really hot spot in the center of the image. I have to shoot pretty wide open for this not to happen. So I lean towards the wider end of lenses so that I still get plenty of DOF.

Just my thoughts... hope that helps.