I use a Manfrotto 058 with 029 head for my 6x7. Horizontal shots are

fine but vertical shots , especially long exposures in a wind can be

problematic, ie prone to shake.

Indeed, it possible to move the camera/head in the vertical with

little pressure - seems to be too much give even with everything

tightened.

Any suggestions, please.

Grant.

The best solution is shoot with a Mamiya RZ67 with rotating film back, but I am guessing that you are using a Pentax :-(

If so, check into Custom Bracket MF Rotating Camera/Flash Bracket System for 6x4.5 and 6x7 Cameras. Click: http://www.adorama.com/CBQRS.html?searchinfo=rotating&item_no=15 . You will also want a leveling base between your tripod and the Rotating Bracket. Total price starts adding up fast, perhaps $350 before you are done, but the result ought to be a fast/accurate/rock solid system to switch between landscape and portriat. Good Luck...

<I>Total price starts adding up fast, perhaps $350 before you are done, but the result ought to be a fast/accurate/rock solid system to switch between landscape and portrait. Good Luck...</I><P>Atthat price just getan Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball or a Really Right Stuff BH-55 head and be done with it and have a more elegant and smaller head system to start with.

To build on what has been said, the solution is two-fold - (1) prevent the camera from rotating on the screw which connects it to the QR plate or head, and (2) Keep the weight of the camera centered over the tripod.

The Arca-Swiss-compatible QR system accomplishes both objectives. Plates are custom made for most camera bodies and hold fast without excessive screw tension. L-plates are available from RRS and Kirk which keep the camera centered in both horizontal and vertical positions, and can be left on the camera.

This is predicated on the most expensive component - a suitable ball head with an Arca-style clamp.

Gentlemen, Thank you for all the valuable suggestions. Much appreciated. Sorry, R Scott, should have been more specific: Pentax 6x7.

Edward, that is always a problem for me - keeping the camera centred. On my set-up in vertical/portrait format, the configuration is also inadequate in that there is insufficient rigity. I suspect this is also the case when shooting straight down (to the ground) in both formats.

I'll look at all the options. Looks like it will be expensive but that's the price one has to pay, so to speak.

Grant.

The Really Right Stuff and Arca Swiss ballheads are really superb and make a huge difference

in working in the field. They are much easier to use and hold cameras more solidly than

anything else I have worked with. Of course, the attachment plates make them very quick to

use as well, which can be a huge advantage. As always, price can be a problem....

I use a Benro KB-2 with my Mamiya RZ and it's rock solid. It operates like the Kirk BH-1, has the elliptical ball and standard quick release mechanism of the Acra Swiss with the enamal metal finish of Gitzo tripods. I use it with a RRS quick release plate on the RZ. At around $100 or less on ebay it's the bargin of the century and really performs. I have it paired up with some Benro legs, the three section A227 which is also outstanding (so good I sold by Gitzo legs). Highly recommended if you want maximum support with maximum savings.

Sandeep, Thank you for the info; this has to be a serious contender.

In the UK, the cost is 110 pounds plus; in Hong Kong, half this.

Did you buy from Hong Kong? For an extra c $30, the KJ-1 has the same specs but only one adjustment knob, presumably replicating but simplifying the KB-2's three knobs. Any views on this?

Thanks, once again.

Grant.

I got the 2 knob KB-2 because I live in a cold weather climate and prefer a separate tension knob which can be operated with gloves on, this Benro model is a copy of the Kirk BH-1 layout, but as mentioned has the elliptical ball of the Acra Swiss meaning it gets stronger/tenser the more it is leaned towards the edges. The Benro model you are talking about is a copy of the Acra Swiss/Markins layout with just one major knob which does double duty. The KB-2 has a 54mm diameter ball, the smaller KB-1 has a 44mm diameter. They also make a KB-3 which has a giant 64mm ball diameter, but it weights 980 grams and is more suited for large view cameras I guess.

As for the other comment, if I can keep my very heavy Mamiya RZ67 rock solid, why would I spend $600 more for the Acra Swiss B-1. If I was a millionaire, sure I would not even look at the Benro, but since I'm not I gave it a cautious try with minimal investment and find both their head and legs to be solid, so I'm happy and saved tons of money, selling my Gitzo legs in the process. A viable choice for some.

I purchased mine from a ebay Hong Kong vendor, the legs were $97 and the KB-2 head was $68 plus around $50 shipping (3 days) to North America.

Hi Grant:

I have Pentax 67 too (2 actually) and went through the same process. My advice: listen to the posters telling you buy the best. I suggest you read the following http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

After you read it you will realize it describes my experiences.

I started with a massive Manfrotto ballhead, sturdy but not smooth at all and I needed a torque wrench to tighten it when using a heavy lens. I tried a pan and tilt 3747 too. Those were replaced with 1376M Gitzo ball. It is a very good, smooth head and uses a lever release (I'm not sure why everyone only gives RRS for developing a lever). It is too heavy for some of my uses however and doesn't quite hold up to use with a 300mm +2x on the Pentax. I have a small travel Gitzo and got a Benro KS-1. It is very nicely finished and smooth and I have used with 200mm on the 67. I do not think the Benro will withstand heavy use however, the socket is lined with a plastic and I can't imagine it won't degrade with use. I have an Acratech which is very nice if peculiar It's a good head. I'll proably get a Markins next after I find a problem with the Acratech wnd will report back on that.

Tom