The way I back pack with a monorail

terry_spade

My own answer to Sheldon Nalos

Unlike some of you I do more talking and planning than picture taking.

I bought my monorail a Calumet 45NX about three years ago or so. It

was a new kit deal from Calumet with 210mm, 150mm lenses 2 or 3 film

holders a changing tent, dark cloth etc. Before I could even buy a

light meter I blew my engine in my pickup helping my son move to

Oregon. So my money went into auto repairs for awhile. I have more

excuses, I mean reasons for not getting out and taking pictures. But I

will spare you these sad tales.

However I have gone out now and then. I have tried several different

ways of getting the monorail to the various places I wish to

photograph. With mixed results. I won't amuse you with the details. I

live in northern California the real north not the SF bay area. And

there aren't many flat places around here. I have also added more

lenses and gear to my kit. While trying to solve this problem.

A while back on one of these forums, someone asked what sort of things

any of us have built in order to help with our hobbie. Well last

winter I built a handy cart to haul my camera gear around with. When I

say last winter I really mean I started late last fall and just

finished a couple of weeks ago. My job requires a lot of over time in

the winter. I bought an Oxyacetylene welding outfit late last fall

with this project in mind. After all I took a course in welding over

20 years ago. How hard could it be?

I have taken it out on a test run. I am happy with it so far. But time

and rough trails will tell. I am really looking forward to getting out

and taking pictures more often. The front support leg folds back and

is held in place by the same hitch pin that keeps it in place when it

is down supporting the cart.

That's pretty ingeneous Terry. Sounds like something I would do to get an excuse...I mean

reason to not go out and shoot--I make it out maybe 3 or 4 times a year--very sad but

true.

My first camera was a used Toyo 45E I bought in a cardboard box with two horrible lenses

and 6 film holders. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a folding field camera--

just knew this was what I wanted to do. I used my minolta max. 9000 with 210mm lens as

a spot and coat as a dark cloth....now how to carry it? I got one of those large Zone VI

white monorail bags for Christmas the first year--great bag for the monorail but HORRIBLE

to carry around the trails. It did hold all my gear but was more suited to carry stuff from

the car to the studio than hiking. I went to the local Army Navy store and purchased a

light weight pack frame-the kind that has a folding shelf on the back. Strapped the bag

on with room for my tripod--Bogen 3057...what was I thinking? Ah...to be young and

dumb:)

The pack frame was perfect! Held the padded bag with all my gear, water, tripod and had

great packing support. It costs maybe $15 at the time. Although it worked like a champ I

don't regret getting a field camera many years later with real spot meter and get this... an

actual dark cloth with Readyloaders!!! Times are good!:) I do miss all the rock steady

movements of the monorail though.

Terry, its amazing. I'm just in the process of negotiating the purchase of a monorail, and saw this and an earlier posting of a back pack variety of carrying. The outfit I'm interested in is a cambo, which I think is pretty much the same as a calumet.

How does it work on less than well defined trails - or no trails at all. I would guess that you are still tied to well defined trails, with few or no steps.

But, it looks good. Well done. I hope you enjoy it, and that we will see the results on the site soon.

Arthur

I'll bet you wish you could make it again in aluminum. No?

Nice work nonetheless! Big wheels help a lot. Maybe we can collaboate a bit. I am into an electric assisted bicycle right now and have thought about installing the same in a small cart like that. It would assist in the uphill battles. Just a thought.

I like it! I would think it would also be somewhat limited to more level trails. Some of the hikes we have in the Columbia River Gorge are 1000 vertical feet in the first mile or so. It would be quite a chore to haul that uphill and I'd also be scared it would run me over on the walk down.

Maybe if you put on brakes and a third wheel and steering mechanism, you could ride it back down!

Good work, now you have no excuse not to get out and shoot.

It is actually very lite.5/8 inch steel tubing. Goes up and down hills very well. 20 inch wheels. Good clearance. Very good balance even loaded as in the second picture. Turns 360 degrees in place so takes tight trails very well. I can turn it side ways going up or down hills without it tipping over. I pull it behind me going up hill. I keep it in front of me going down hill or in tricky spots. I would have to stay away from anything real steep of course. Inside

dimensions are 36 1/4 inches long x 14 inches wide x 14 1/2 inches deep. Outside dimensions across the wheel base are 24 3/4 inches wide. Over all length from back to end of handle 70 5/8 inches.

I actually saw a picture of a bicycle trailer on the web that I used to model this cart after. Except for the dimensions, the size of tubing used and no bicycle hitch, they look alot alike. But I built it from scratch without plans. To fit my needs.

Hi Terry,

If ever your cart broke down, and you were fed up trying to repair it, please come visit the Netherlands once (where I live):

Your cart looks ***exactly*** like dozens of bicycle drawn carts here in the Netherlands!

There is a whole industry here in the Netherlands for such carts in light weight but strong materials. We use them all the time (I haven't got one) to haul all kinds of goods, including shopping stuff but also kids to school!

All by bike.

I don't know if you've ever visited Amsterdam, but I think you would be flabbergasted by the number of bicycles here, and maybe even almost get run over by a parent driving it's two kids to school using such a cart ...;-)

Just to show you what I mean, a Dutch website including carts:

http://www.fietskar.com/

Just whatch the pictures passing by with different types.

Marco