New Orleans Photoessay

feli

This spring (Feb/March) I went down to New Orleans for three weeks to document the

aftermath of Katrina. Six months after the storm struck, the situation unfortunately still

was very bad. In some cases what I witnessed was a lot worse than anything I had seen in

the general media.

While life was relatively normal in the French Quarter and business district, the majority of

the city was heavily damaged and abandoned. Certain areas like the Lower 9th Ward and St

Bernard Parish looked like a war-zone.

You can see my essay here:

www.elanphotos.com

According to my contacts in New Orleans, the situation is changing at a snails pace.

PS: I like to travel light and unobtrusive, so I took two M bodies, 35 and 50 lenses and my

Xpan with the 4/45mm. Believe it or not I was able to cram all of this gear in to my jacket

pockets and a very small waist pack. Filmstock was Tri-X and APX100.

Cheers,

Feli

Feli, Thank you for the excellent photo- essay. It's good to see the individual volunteer

and grass root organizational efforts, one hopes the resiliency and spirit of the former

residents will not be crushed by a ponderous bureaucracy.

Feli, as a resident from NOLA I would like to thank you for coming to see the Aftermath. You have documented it well, and I assure you it looks today as it did when you photographed it 2 months ago.

I too have been documneting the Aftermath and lack of progess. You can see it here

http://www.samuelportera.com/gallery/album06

I wish more would see yours, mine and everyones photographs to see what is not being done here.<div>00GQJY-29992284.jpg.8b4c4bbfc49231780cc4adaf529d7826.jpg</div>

Thanks everyone.

Sam, it looks like we've been to some of the same places. You got some beautiful shots there.

My big regret is not shooting more interiors, when I was down there. I'm keeping my fingers

crossed that you folks will be safe this summer.

feli

Great photo essay! My mom lives in Metairie, but was lucky in that her land stayed above water (not near the levee breaks). Even so, she's in her 80's and I worry about her down there. Especially as my cousin (one of the people she could call on for help) had her house gutted and had to move out of town to find work.

Feli - Glad you took these and posted them. After the fascination with the storm faded, and the extensive coverage dropped off considerably, it became easier for those of us on higher ground to forget what remained, and how much work has yet to be begun, much less completed.<p>

Very sobering.<p>

Sam - I had to shake my head at photos like <a href=http://www.samuelportera.com/gallery/album06/church9thlowres>this one</a> on your site.<p>

My goodness.

>I am sure that many, many Americans are waiting with trepidation for this coming hurricane

season.

Lets put it like this. Upon my return from New Orleans I purchased a weather sealed Canon

EOS 1-v to augment my M cameras. I honestly hope that the new camera ends up gathering

dust on a shelf this summer.