Need for a Digital Cam to take moving objects clearly

Am currently using an Olympus camera to take shots of my active baby

but without using flash (bad for baby's eyes, they say) the photos

are very blur. Is there a digit camera out there that can take sharp

photos with indoor lighting and of a constantly moving subject? I

don't have the know-how to work a complex one so a aim-and-shoot

camera is more my cup of tea. Pls advise...

Either wait for the F30 (probably late May or early June), or pick up an F10 or F11 now. The F30 will probably be about US$400 initially. The F10s are currently discounted to about US$225, but they're getting harder to find.

Jessica,

Months ago I was berated by "An Expert" member of the Photo.Net forum for my implying or suggesting of using a flash in some low light situations while taking baby photograghs. I did not respond to this person's rude "Expert" tongue lashing, but I did promise myself that the next time I had an appointment with my Ophthalmologist, which was two months ago, I would be sure to ask him about whether taking pictures of infants using a flash would harm the baby's eyes.

His answer was an emphatic "No, a camera flash will not harm an infant's eyes".

Granted, taking a photo of an infant using a flash may startle the infant... but that's it.

So, this "fairy tale" must be finally put to rest.

I use my Canon 50mm f1.8 and available light for such pictures, though... only so the baby will not become startled and maybe ruin the photo session.

//Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for speaking up on that topic. I had given up trying to convince people of nonsense like "flash photography will hurt my baby" but you're right, the absurdity should be stamped out.

I've used flash, usually bounced, with my kids since they were born and haven't seen any detrimental effects.

Direct flash usually causes harsh shadows just behind your subject, which doesn't look very good. I don't know of any point and shoot cameras with bounce flash, so it would still be worthwhile to try to avoid flash. As Rob suggested, you could try to increase the light levels. Another thing you could try is to put a toy or something the baby finds interesting on the floor to catch the baby's interest and take your photos when the baby isn't moving around so much.