CMOS cleaning

sacbee

Hello all,

1. I wanted to know where I can get the required materials like

cleaning swabs, liquid etc. in China, particularly in Shanghai. Also

is there any website who can take my order and deliver it to Shanghai.

2. My CMOS is utterly dirtied. You can observed spots without even

magnifing the image. All my sky/sunset/clouds shots during recent

trip are screwed up. So as a quick solution can I use bulb-blower?

Will it reduce the dust to some extent atleast?

Thanks,

Sachin

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the local shops. For my DSLR I use a <a href=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=387284&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>Spec Grabber</a> and it has been working great.

<p>

The blower (such as those used for lenses) is fine providing there is NO moisture in it (condensation, etc...). Try it on another surface first and make sure nothing but air comes out of it.

Giampi, what's the correct way to use the spec grabber? I ordered acouple some time ago and they did nothng for me. Yes, I washed them prior to cleaning.

NB: your link shows a different type of grabber... Mine came without any pads

Yeah, dust is a bitch, particuraly shooting digital at music festivals.. I read on another forum that nowadays, most camera manufacturers will clean your sensor once a year for free. Question: Is this true? And if so, is it only in Oz, or is it also available in other countries? Anybody know? Probably a major case of BS, but it's a thought..

George Lupton: "If you are really careful use the nozzle of your hoover to suck all the dust out of the chamber and off the sensor - it works great. just dont get it any closer than around 3-4 inches from the sensor. Oh - and be careful."

Yes, if you use this approach, be very, very careful! I wouldn't risk it, personally. (Even with HEPA filters, I'd also be concerned about dust being blown around the room by the vacuum's exhaust.)

They have re-packaged the Spec Grabber with those pads. Mine didn't come with them either.

Simply swab the sensor with the tool going in one direction only (i.e. left to right). I usually need one pass for taking care of most visible dust. Occasionally, I find some stubborn spots and I do another pass.

They now make a larger one called the "PRO". It's the same but, with a larger tip.

Jon - i use this technique fairly regularly with no problems. the fact that the dust is being sucked away from the camera stops any of the hoovers exhaust getting anywhere near the camera. i have never had my camera so dust free. saying that i use my camera in some pretty grim weather - so being cleaned with a hoover is the least of its worries.