Should I sharpen TIFFs for a client?

ajweiss

I did a shoot that will be used in promotional materials. I am supplying CDs with TIFF files

to the client.

With my own photos, I always leave the sharpening at zero from my RAW converter so I

don't resharpen images that were already sharpened.

In this case, should I sharpen these files a little so the client doesn't think they are soft, or

should I try to preserve the best quality by leaving them as they are? They were shot at

high-ISO, a little luminance smoothing will be applied in the conversion. My first thought

is to leave them as-is, but I don't want the quality of my photos to be questioned upon

review by a digicam-weilding manager:

"How much did I pay for these? My point-and-shoot pictures look sharper than this!"

Thank you for any ideas!

Adam

Are they going to be post-processed? If you are confident that they WILL be worked on by

someone who knows what they are doing then you might leave them unsharpened.

Machine prints get sharpened by the lab. I always do some sharpening but keep it subtle.

If I am printing myself I apply sharpening again specifically for the Print (using PhotoKit

Sharpening from Pixel Genius).

jmp

Thank you for the replies!

I delivered the first shots today -- unsharpened. The client is a division of a multinational

publishing company, so I think it is safe to assume their brochures or posters will be made

by someone who knows what they are doing.

I would rather make a good impression with the quality of the finished product than make

a manager feel good -- especially if it could compromise image quality.

I just finished a third shoot for them, and I'll see what they think of the first shots before

delivering this batch.

Adam