Medium format process-and-scan services?

mark_erickson

So I've gotten a little spoiled by my DSLR. I'd like to get a

workflow going with my Rolleiflex TLR that's somewhere in the same

realm of convenience. My dream workflow would be to send out exposed

color negative 120 film and have it come back processed with a CDROM

that contains 16-bit TIFF scans of the images. As of Spring 2006 does

anyone offer such a service?

Thanks....

The short answer is more or less yes. Standard 120 print film processing (as opposed to getting a contact sheet made) will incluse a CD if requested for a few $ more. In To., Canada Colourgenics or Henry's can oblige you. I'm not sure what format they use with the discs.

Here are a couple of custom labs where you can start and both have web sites:

East Coast - Dorian Color Lab, Arlington, Massachusetts

West Coast - West Coast Imaging at: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/. They may have

you send your film first to another lab for initial processing and then forward it on to them

but they will do high res scans and maintain a file of your images so you can order quality

prints at any time by email.

There has to be a lot of other places but these are the two that I have used and can

recommend.

In the Cleveland area, the local pro photo store (the Professional Division of Dodd Camera and Video) seems to have a good 120 developing service similar to what you've described. I've only used it for E-6 processing. They develop my 120 roll of E-6 film and return it uncut in a clear protective sleeve with a CD-ROM containing jpg files of each frame. Using their "VIP" card, the cost for everything is only $9.50 per roll before sales tax. A small, medium and large jpg file for each frame is provided. Dodd apparently uses some type of AFGA processor that has a built-in scanner. The film automatically gets scanned immediately after development. That's probably why it can be done so inexpensively. The quality of the scans isn't anything special but the price is too good not to have it done with each order. It's easy enough to have the film scanned again should a higher quality digital image be required. The whole point here is that this type of developing and scanning service for medium format film should be readily available in most major cities in the US. And, although I haven't checked this yet, the AFGA web site might be able to help you locate a lab near you that uses one of their machines.