Would you do a wedding without a flash?

elliot1

I scanned this thread in a hurry, so maybe I missed it:

Assuming the client has some valid reason for not wanting flash, the next thought that popped into my head was - you need an assistant and one or more big reflectors to help you manage the lighting ratios on the beach.

I actually enjoy shooting weddings without flash, but that's usually in the role of a 'second shooter'.

After communicating with the bride (not arguing) with respect to the many excellent suggestions guiven here, I'd pass on the job if she remained adamant. IMO, this is a word-of-mouth business, and your reputation is your equity. She WILL show her wedding images to others, many others, and if the shots do not represent your best work, you are doing yourself a disservice that can cost you a lot more than one job's fee. When the money is waved under your nose, it's hard to say no, but you need to step back, take the long view, and put it in the context of your reputation and growth.

Why not take the couple into a sunset and then indoors and take some pictures with and without flash. If they change their mind and agree that the flash pictures are better, then take the job. If they still insist that they don't want flash and you think the flash pictures are what they need then pass. If you go with something you believe to be wrong the aggravation after the wedding will not be worth it.

Regards.

Everyone, thanks again. You have really opened my eyes to things I did not even consider. I think I will do some sample shots with/for them prior to the wedding and let them decide for themselves. I am more concerned with the photos inside rather than outside. Of course, a lot depends on the timing of the ceremony. If it is earlier rather than later, the effect will be quite nice (I shot an outdoor wedding about a year ago and the colors were spectacular). If it is later, it will be on the dark side...

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your insight.

I agree that you should discuss with the client and find out why she/they do not want flash photography. If you cannot use flash at the reception, potentially you could end up with a lot of high-contrast images with people having ugly shadows on their faces.

Do some test shots with the bride and groom and perhaps others on location and let them see the results beforehand. It might completely change their minds. Even though they might prefer the ugly results, it could make you, the photographer, look bad in the eyes of other people.

Ok... if they looked at your work and they want you to shoot the job then this is how you work. You use a flash when you need it and when you don't you know how to utilize available light. I would never take a job where the bride and groom will tell me how to shoot a job. Your better off not taking the job because you go through and take the job and you don't use a flash then you'll have to put up with thier un happyness because everything is either under exposed or blurry. You'll hurt your business in the long run.

Firstly, are the clients willing to make sure you are supplied with a selection of 1.4 or 1.2 lenses? Second, does the venue for the wedding and/or reception have enough ambient light to shoot available, or will it be dark? If the venue is dark and you are shooting in the evening you will get mostly grainy pictures at best. Also, without enough light, even with fast lenses and iso 1600 you will get nothing but blurry shots during any dancing or fast moving action. It is an artist's dream to be able to shoot with only available light - for some things - but there ARE circumstances beyond your control. If the couple is willing to let you keep putting them into some lighted areas all day long, which seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of their request, then you may have a fighting chance.

My best suggestion is to show them some examples of photographs they might like where flash was used but not obvious. Maybe they'll understand that it doesn't need to be harsh.

The other thing you may be able to effectively use is what Denis Reggie calls "foofing" where you bounce the flash off of a wall or surface to create some ambient light. It's a pleasing effect which he uses with beautiful results.

Good luck with this one!

Lou