Shall I consider a Nikon F5

je ne regrette rien

I am taking my pictures with a Nikon F3 with MD4, alternatively with a Nikon FM

and own quite a set of Nikkor AI-AIS lenses. I usually keep the MD4 mounted,

since the vertical grip is very useful to better handle heavy lenses such as the

180mm f/2.8 or even the 85mm f/1.4.

I am considering to moving on to AF. I would stick to 35mm film since I can't

manage the change in habits built up in the last 30 years.

I would aim at a used Nikon F5 and at building up gradually an AF set of lenses and

would greatly appreciate some suggestions on this choice, considering availability

of film, of new or used AF-D lenses, etc.

Thanks

LA Remotti

If you want to use AF and plan to stick with film, I don't see how you could go wrong with the F5. As for availability of film, it'll be around way past the time a DSLR you buy now would last you, IMHO. Having said that, I myself would keep the F3 for film and buy a D200.

-A

Hello

The Nikon F5 is a fine machine but from what I have read it has some flaws in its design. I do not own one but have handled one and having small hands do not find it that comfortable to use (prefer the F4). How about the Nikon F6? all the best of the F5 and improved as well. You can get a grip for that which will give you a vertical grip. The F5 & F6 will work with nearly all the Nikon lens including the new G-Series as well and I think that using AF-D lenses will get the 'colour 3d matrix' meters in the cameras working spot on.

Film will still be around for a long time yet (loads of schools teach wet darkroom before moving to digital darkroom) but if you are set on the F5 then you will have a great machine.

HTH

Nick

It sounds like the F5 fits you extremely well. The F6 is very expensive and its optional vertical grip costs extra. For those who prefer to have the grip all the time, I would much rather have a built-in one that cannot come loose.

Incidentally, I shot film for over 30 years, as well, and at least for me it wasn't all that hard to switch to digital.

I shoot 90% digital these days but using the F5 is kind of like taking out that classic

weekend sports car; there's nothing quite like it. I might shoot 20-30 rolls of film this

year, maybe less next year, but I will never part with the F5.

at todays prices for such a stellar machine do not hesitate to buy one, mint. I added one to my arsenal of Leica gear and couldn't be happier. Gives me a break from full-on manual.

Yesterday shot some vertical portraits w/ 85/1.4 MF. Wow, what a kick. One hell of a machine. Also used the 85/1.8AF with it. Highly recommend taking advantage. I got mine mint for $450 (US). At that price, no second thoughts.

I have owned an F4 for many years and have recently bought a mint F5 for significantly less than the cost of a mint F100. Many high street shops in the UK have difficulty selling F100s, but more-so F5s.

For me the bottom line is: the F4 with an MF23 is a great user camera; the F5 has many technical improvements and is a more sophisticated machine than the F4, but lacks a few 'user interface' features of the F80/100.

My 'complaints' about the F5 are: no illuminated or scrollable focus patches or on-demand gridlines. No matrix metering (in any mode) with non-AF lenses. Slightly less comfortable than my F4.

What I especially like on the F5 is the colour compensated metering - and it manages modern flashguns very nicely indeed. It's built like battleships used to be.

But as a camera, for every day use, my F5 does not wholly replace my F4, or indeed my F80. The F80 is like a feather in comparison and I find its ergonomics slicker than the F5s. The F4 has few frills (especially when used without the MF23 back) but has the greater flexibility when using manual focus lenses.

So my patterns of use are:

Lightweight (one lens) - F80 & 18-35 OR F3 & 28/2.8, etc

Action/outdoors/street & flash - F5 OR F5 & 18-35 + 28-70 and/or a few AF primes (eg 20/4, 35/2, 85/1.8).

Quality imagemaking/macro/creative - F3 or F4 and lots of manual lenses.

Finally, if it had not been a 'steal', I really do not believe I would have bought the F5. I could have lived happily with my F3, F4 and F80. However, after 2 months useage, I couldn't part with it .. or the F4 ... or ....

Luca,<br>

<br>

I strongly recommend that you keep your F3. It has some

advantages over the F5. The metering is for example below the

viewing screen so metering with the M screen is no problem,

switching to the U screen requires no meter exposure

compensation, etc. On the other hand the F5 is my favorite camera

for manual focus Nikkor lenses so I can easily recommend adding

it to your system. The F5 is a great camera for AF lenses also. Im

kind of undecided as to which camera comes next, the F3 sans the

MD-4, FE2 or FM2n.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

<em>I would stick to 35mm film since I can't manage the change

in habits built up in the last 30 years. --Luca Alessandro

Remotti</em><br>

<br>

Having some experience with a Fuji FinePix E550 digital P&S

and much experience with the Nikon F5 I found the Nikon D2H easy

to use. I found switching from color slide film to digital a

breeze. <br>

<br>

Due to the limitations in dynamic range switching from color and

b&w negative film to digital is more troublesome. With film

dodging and burning can allow compressing 13 stops quite easily

into AAs 10 stops on paper. In the wet dark room you have

Dr. Beers Formula developers, VC papers, you can dodge and

burn and rub in various parts of a print, you can bleach. With

digital there is nothing below 0 and worse nothing above 255. If

its clipped, its gone. Those who know the wet

darkroom well, know whats lost.<br>

<br>

I have over 30 years experience in photography and bought my

first enlarger in less than a year. By 1974 I had a 7.5 x 11.5

foot permanent darkroom with 4x5 and color capacity. I can

recommend adding digital but I caution those who are accustomed

to professional Nikon cameras against buying the economy Nikon

DSLR(s). The viewfinders and auto focus may be deficient by

comparison. YMMV.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

What I like about the F5 is that its built like a tank and its ergonomics are great (my other cameras are Leicas M Classics). Its a camera I can count on, built to the highest pro requirements. I also like its spot metering feature and the heavy-duty integrated motor.

I'm a dedicated film user, preferring Kodachrome, Tri-x, Acros, and the Ilford B/W line. I use all these films in conjunction w/ my Leicas for the past 15 years.

But its nice to get a break from manual cameras occasionally, for the right reasons. Here are the lenses seeing their way onto my F5: 28mm/2.8 AIS, 45mm/2.8 Tessar-P MF, 85mm/1.4 AIS MF, 85mm/1.8 AFD. Great lenses on a great platform.

Thank you all for your "food for thought". In the end it is simply a matter of deciding to put the money into a new system.

I do not intend to sell my old system, I am very happy with it. I started with a Leica IIIg when I was 14, the f/stops didn't match the light meter scale so I just guessed. And then came the wet darkroom. For a long time a 50mm lens was all that I got, on the Leica, and then on the Nikon FM.

When I started expanding my lenses system, I realised that "you take pictures with the equipment you have", since you cannot haul around 2 bodies, 9 lenses, one motordrive, film, screens all the time and secondly in most cases there is no time even to change the lenses.

So I photograph with what I have and most of the time it is the F3, with two or three lenses I choose upfront just guessing which situations I will face.

The F5 could be a nice toy in addition to the F3. I'm tempted to try the AF world, but I will decide, sometime.

Thanks again,

Luca

Eric the F5 really is the 911Carrera is it not? :-)

There are people who say but this Porsche swings out in the back (it still uses film) but those people do not know the feel of the 911 - if the rear passes you in a fast curve - no real problem just so easy to control :-)

I did no try the F6 so I might be wrong saying the F5 is the best film body.

Just befoe reading this post, I was reading Ken Rockwell describe the F100 as "the best

35mm (SLR ?) camera that has ever been made". How would the Nikon experts here, I'm

not one, respond positively to that when considering an F5/F100. Sorry if this is off topic.

And secondly, if it's not an intrusion, putting aside the recording media and concentrating

on the facilities, how do these film cameras compare with the featues of their digital

equivalents.

It strikes me that a used F5/EOS 1n for $450 is every bit a picture making machine as a

new D2x or a Canon 1Ds at 10x the price.

I ask because I have a couple of jobs coming where my all-manual cameras might struggle

and my immediate response is to go digital (again).

Ken is completely and totally wrong IMHO. There is little comparison between the F100/F5, accept for the logo.

The F5 is a full-blown pro camera. The F100 is an honorable mention (I own both). The F100 has a smaller footprint. The F5 has the integrated motordrive. The F100 has a plastic back, the F5 a metal back. The film on F5 can be hand re-wound, the F100 cannot. The VF on the F5 can be interchanged, the F100 cannot.

The F100 has many of the automated features of the F5, but it is nowhere as solid, and I say, as reliable camera. Look at the original prices as some indication: F5 $2000+/-, F100 $800.

When shooting w/ F5, you know you're shooting w/ one of the best cameras ever made.

I just bought an F5 very recent and never regret it as when I bought it, it was very mint like

new condition but aside from all cosmetics, I found myself this is the best pro 35mm film

camera I've had and tried Canon 1V and Minolta maxxum 9). So back in film again for me

for the time being and I believe you will be happy with F5.

Hi Luca,

Yes I had to get used to the extra weight, particularly since last 15 years shooting w/ Leicas. This is not however my kick-around street camera - my Leica(s)fill that function.

My F5 rig is intended for some formal portrait work. As such I don't intend to carry it around all day. Once I lock the spot-metering all I have to concern myself w/ is focusing - the motordrive does the rest. Just concentrate on the subject and shoot away.

Loss of Functionality w/ MF lenses: xEcept for the recent acquisition of a 85mm/1.8 AFD, all the lenses I've ever used have been MF AIS. Here, I drop the multi-sensor metering, the AF of course, and as far as I know that is it. I personally don't care alot about the multi-sensoring perhaps because I don't use many AF lenses. However, the F5 really comes thru w/ the spot-metering ability.

On a PJ operation or wedding I'll use the AFD 85/1.8 for truly fast focusing AND it lighter weight. The second lens would be the light 45mm/2.8 pancake Tessar.

Best - Paul

Hi Luca, I am not a pro shooter, so I am not sure my words are good to your ears or not.

I use F & F3 with a few AiS lenses. For auto equpment I have Canon 1VHS. For my own

desire (not that I really need one) I always wish to own a F5, like to compare with my 1VHS

for handle. Which I finally got one on ebay $500 dollar true mint condition.

The F5 design is a bit not as comfort as 1VHS in my hand. The back AF control is a bit

hard to reach. I never own a Nikon auto lens...after i got my F5, I also bought a 17-35mm

AFS to see how Nikon Auto works. Result I got from the lens is fabulous, F5's auto focus

is not as smart as 1V but work flawless by its function.

But, my most satisfy photos are actually came from my F & F3 believe or not. The size of

F3 just a no brainer pick and go. At the same time F5 is heavy yet well balance in hand.

My suggestion to you: If you don't really need AF (most of time, I don't) & your F3 ain't

break.....you don't buy F5. Buying a F5 will open a door of LUST. Its a package deal. Buy

a F5, then you will want to buy auto lens, then you want to buy the battery pack......etc.

We are talking about you spend $500 for a F5 body, over $2,000 follow right after that.

Are you prepare to that? Beside the desire & lust money is not a issue, F5 is a why not.

Even F100 is great, which i think back control F100 is actaully work better to my hand.

Otherwise, F3 is the best. F3 is the best camera i ever work with. As F5, i am very happy

with it.

Hi William. Thank you very much for your post. It�s exactly what I thought. Maybe the F5 sometimes, but not now. I�m not a pro. My F3 and FM are in good status, I have 10 (more than I can use) AI-AIS lenses from 20mm to 300mm, all primes. Yesterday (Sunday) we visited friends on the countryside. I just got my bag, two cameras, the F3 with B&W film, the FM with colour film, some lenses I thought could be useful. And I took pictures right away.

If I had the F5 this would have meant thinking what to carry around, more lenses, more weight, a larger bag, more fumbling around with lenses and stuff, focusing screens. Leave alone that the F5 is a deal bigger than the F3 with the MD4, and consumes apparently a lot more of batteries.

Rather than an F5, maybe I�ll consider another F3 in good condition to have one for each film type (colour and B&W). This will be a deal less expensive than the $2500 - $3000 which the F5 choice means. And I think we adults some time should better refrain from just getting the toys we want just for the sake of having them.

Thanks again.

Luca

Having shot them all mainly doing sports, I have to say they were all equal to the task.

F6 was the better body, just better all around, but it felt naked without the grip.

F100 didn't seem to meter as well as the F5. Also, it had film rewind issues and I could never trust it.

F5 had those annoying dark focus points and confounding custom settings.

Hands down the best value is the F5 if you can live with the dark focus points. F6 bodies are starting to pop up used and for $1200 is a nice deal.

I would go the F6 route if I did it over again, because of the focus points, LCD navigation, and it's ability with newer generation flashes going forward.

If that doesn't matter, $800 mint from Cametta or better elsewhere used, the F5 is the best value.