Lens hoods and step up (or down) rings

Do elimination of lens hoods due to use of a step up ring or step down ring affect picture

quality, assuming the filter in use is a polarizer or neutral density? Since the hood wouldn�t

fit, it seems that light infiltration can adversely effect the outcome. Is this a real concern?

Getting good filters is expensive and I don�t really know which filters I will enjoy using on

which lens so I am looking at rings to lessen the financial burden. I am using a 5D and lenses

so far are only 24-105 and 50mm f/1.4. I hope to obtain a 35L at some point in the future.

A lens hood always helps shield the front element from stray light. <br>``<i>Pros</i>`` use lens hoods all the time. Even when they don't mount filters, they always have a lens hood.<p>And of course you're 100% correct in your assumptions.<p>The one caution is to use a lens hood appropriate for your lens and that usually means an OEM hood. Wide angle hoods and wide to tele lenses are the most problematic.<p>As for filters: a Polarizer, .6 ND and (my personal choice) a HOYA HMC 1b.<br> The 1b is startlingly effective during the hours of 10ish in the morning to 2ish in the afternoon. Why? <br>Kelvin temperatures (in the shade) under a bright blue sky can run to +6600 degrees, throwing off color meters and ordinary film/sensors. The HMC 1b does its UV job <i>and</i> adds a slight warming effect.<div>00GRB2-30015984.thumb.jpg.18e76dd127451d83a4987029a16b698e.jpg</div>

I see professional landscape photographers shooting without hoods all the time. If you look at the picture of Joe Cornish that he use for his biography he is shooting without a hood (using a neutral density grad). I don't use a hood if I am using a neutral density grad. In this case I use a piece of card or my hand to shade the lens. Similarly I think you would find that there are shots of Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell also shooting without hoods. Maybe they are not professional enough for Ed but they will do for me.

I would get a (circular) polarizer for your 24-105 and not worry about any other filters. The 77mm filter will fit on the wide zooms 17-40/4l and 16-35/2.8 and on the 70-200/2.8 IS and 300/4 IS. You could mount it on the 35/1.4 via a step up ring (eliminating the hood).

With a polarizer you can buy a generic rubber hood and screw it into the front of the filter. In addition to allowing you to have a hood, and perhaps more importantly, it lets you rotate the polarizer by rotating the hood.

I am excited about the responses. It helps overcome inertia. And I am glad not to have left a

decision up to the salesman. Otherwise I might have wound up with every conceivable filter in

every conceivable size. Shopping now sounds economical and feasible. Polarizing filter will be

my first. I live and shoot on the shoreline and in addition shoot reflective and glaring subjects

in still life. As time goes by and I find the wanting to blur subjects or isolate them in bright

light, I will go for a neutral density. Alistairs summary of lenses sharing the same ring size in

addition to it working on a 35L when stepped up gives rise to all sorts of fantasy. All it takes

is money.

I actually use a rubber hood on one of my lenses for which the polarizer is a perfect size. The problem of turning the polarizer when it is at the bottom of a 4 inch deep hood is not to be sneezed at. Tamron make a neat gizmo for one of their telephotos than allows you to turn the whole hood and rotate the filter.

Ken Munn: <p><i>Mmmm! Looks like Ed's photo also illustrates the problems of using a lens hood that's too tight!</i><p>Nahh! Looks like that but that's a T-CON 1.7 at about 4X zoom.<br>I posted that shot for the blazing blue sky and blue light, not the T-CON, which I actually hadn't noticed nor paid attention to-damnmit!<br> I also meant to point out the blue tinted cab, the ladies blouse, the blue shadows-etc.

Alistair Windsor:<br><i>I see professional landscape photographers shooting without hoods all the time.</i><p>Which speaks ill of them, not the prudent practice of using a lens hood.<p><i>If you look at the picture of Joe Cornish that he use for his biography he is shooting without a hood (using a neutral density grad).<p> I don't use a hood if I am using a neutral density grad. In this case I use a piece of card or my hand to shade the lens.</i><p>Because you lost your hood, or never had one for the lens in question?<br>Clearly you have bias against hoods, which does not change the fact lens hoods are practical and efficacious.<p>Similarly I think you would find that there are shots of Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell also shooting without hoods.</i><p>But what does that anecdotal evidence prove and are you saying your or my images would be better <i><b>all the time</b></i> without hoods? Or that Adams and Rowell didn't use hoods-ever? Or that hoods simply don't work?<p><i>Maybe they are not professional enough for Ed but they will do for me.</i><p>I made my living for over 30 years shooting fast glass with lens hoods. Nearly every PJ <i>I</i> ever knew from 1966 on wouldn't be caught dead without a lens hood, and I knew and met literally thousands of them. Then again, they/we shot fast (f/2.8) or faster lenses which needed protection.<br>And when I shoot/shot NDs filters, its in a Lee holder with a bellows hood.<p>More evidence?<p> Have you ever seen a Television (broadcast) camera without a lens hood? Professional Movie unit camera? News broadcast camera in the field sans hood? Unlikely. <br>Those big white Canon lenses? Studio shooters? Some class of lenses, in particular ultra-wide angle or fisheyes, have built-in lens hoods. Wonder why?

you can mount a 72-77mm step up ring inside the 35L's hood. it's tricky to get the filter on inside there, or rotate the polarizer, but you can do it. You can't remove the hood while it's on though.

I leave mine on permanently as I have the space in my camera bag (no need to reverse the hood) and I prefer all my lenses to use the same size lenscap (so I don't have to keep track of which one goes where). Most of mine are 77mm, and I leave a 58-77mm ring permanently on my 100mm macro. The 24-105 has a 77mm filter, and coincidentally you can stick a 77mm filter into the hood of the 50mm 1.4 pretty easily.

I was addressing yet another of your absolute statements:

<blockquote>

<I>"Pros" use lens hoods all the time. </I>

</blockquote>

I pointed out numerous examples of "Pros" who didn't use hoods <I>all</I> the time. One example proves your statement is false - it is not anecdotal evidence.<P>

Actually I own the OEM lens hoods for all my 35mm lenses and use them when not prevented by some other consideration.<P>

It is not possible to use a directly mounted hood with a long graduated neutral density filter since they extend centimetres to allow you the freedom to position the transition. The bellows hoods that sit in front of the filters cause vignetting with wide angle lenses - there is really no choice but to shoot without the hood. I also don't use the hood for my macro lens when photographing macro images since it causes problems with lighting. <P>

<blockquote>

<I>Are you saying your or my images would be better all the time without hoods?</I>

</blockquote>

I don't make <b>absolute</b> statements; I leave that to you.

I gave up since I wanted to reverse the hood for may bag. It is possible however. The most annoying thing is screwing on the polarizer since I cannot grip the edge of the filter inside the hood and the front thread rotates.