Slik 813 CF vs. Gitzo 1127 or 1227?

darren_cokin

I'm upgrading my tripod. I want it to be lightweight, yet stiff as

hell, without being ridiculously expensive. (I'm learning I'm going

to have to pick my favorite 2 of those desires.)

Yesterday, I received the Slik 713 CF legs I ordered from B&H, along

with a Giotto 1002 ball head.

The ball head is crap. It wobbles very badly on it's panning base.

After reading up on a lot of these forums, I've finally convinced

myself I really need to splurge and get a hi-end head. Leaning

towards the Markins M10. It has a good reputation, is fairly light

weight, and I like that I can get it without any sort of camera

adapter plate, so I can screw my Novoflex quick release straight into

the ball. (I'm pretty happy with the Novoflex quick release thus far.

It locks down very firmly, and you don't need any special anti twist

plates for all your various gear. Just this little low-profile round

screw.)

I'll be sending back the Slik 713 CF legs along with the head.

They're decent and well made, but still a bit flexible. I'm thinking

I'll exchange them for the Slik 813 legs, which are only $30 more, and

0.65 lbs heavier.

But am I likely to be unsatisfied with those too? I wish I could try

them at a local shop, but no one has them. I'd hate to go through the

time and expense of returning legs twice. But, I cringe at the idea

of spending so much for the Gitzo legs! That would bring my total

tripod system into the $800 range. (The $600 range it would be with

the Slik legs is already slightly beyond my comfort zone.)

Really, how much stiffer are they than the Slik's? Slightly stiffer,

or an order of magnitude stiffer?

My largest setup will be a Nikon D100, with the 80-400mm VR lens. If

the Slik 813 is no good, would the Gitzo 1127 be okay, or should I up

that to the 1227?

The Slik 713 has similar specs to the Gitzo 1127, and the Slik 813 has

similar specs to the Gitzo 1227.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Darren

Hi.

I have a Gitzo 1128 (which is similar to the 1127 but has 4 leg sections) and I'm very pleased with it. Previously I had (and I still have) a Manfrotto 055, which is solid as a rock but weights a ton. I decided I wanted a light tripod to complement the 055.

I looked around in this forum (and others) and the 1127/1128 has not very good reputation; everybody will recommend you the 1227 because is bigger and more solid. However I wanted a tripod small enough to fit into my checked luggage (I flight frequently by plane) and 1227 was simply too big. I think the 1127/1128 is as light and small as it can be while still being a real tripod. I can assure you it is stable enough for my equipment; the heaviest thing I have is a nikon F100+grip with a 80-200/2.8+teleconverter, and it is still fine. Just hold a bag under the tripod to make it even more stable.

About the heads, I use a Swiss-Arca B1. It is a bit too big for the Gitzo 1128, but I do not intend to buy another head. If I was you I would buy a Markins, which seems to be as good as the Arca, but far cheaper.

". . . would the Gitzo 1127 be okay, or should I up that to the 1227?"

I can't tell you about the Slik since I don't own one. However, I wouldn't even think about the 1127 with an 80-400 on a D100. Even the 1227 would be a compromise. I would look at the 13xx series as a bare minimum for a stable platform for this setup.

I'm not saying you can't physically mount the setup on an 1127 (heck, I can put my 10D with a 70-200 and 1.4x teleconverter on my Velbon Maxi 343e), but if you're not satisfied with the stability of the Slik 713, then I seriously doubt you'd be satisfied with the 11xx series, or even the 12xx series.

Like you said, when it comes to 'pods: light weight, stiffness, low cost - pick any two.

Of course, YMMV.

I have done a lot of research to find the exact same tripod - you know the cheap, strong though light one...

I settled with the Velbon 530 with an FLM-32FB ballhead.

It should be here soon (It's somewhere in shipping limbo right now) and I can send you my impressions of that combo as soon as I'll get it - if you're interested.

So, I just discovered another interesting option. Gitzo has a new line of basalt fiber tripods. So new, I can't find any decent reviews of them. They have some features the older carbon fiber models don't; the weight hook is spring loaded and retractable, and the legs have an anti-rotation groove (like the center columns), so you can untwist the locks in any order you like.

The G1297 is the one that would interest me. It's load rating is halfway between that of the carbon fiber G1127 & G1227, and it weighs the same as the G1227 (3.4 lbs). Not as tall as either without the center column raised though.

It's only $325 at B&H, a lot less than any of their carbon fiber models.

But is it stiff?

Anyone have experience with these?

Or again, the Slik 813CF? I'm still tempted to try them. They're only $280.

Darren

Take a look at the Feisol CT-3401. About $220 shipped. (I got mine in less than a week.) Very nice. Very pleased. I've had mine (with a Kirk BH-3 ball head) out on a few excursions and it compares very favorably with my friends Gitzo 1228. (His RRS BH-55 ball head is incredibly nice, however. As much as I like my kirk that BH-55 is fantastic.)

As to the Giottos 1002 I have to agree. I bought one of those a while back. It just will not maintain its position during tightening. I like it on my monopod, tho.

The Kirk BH-3, the Markins you mentioned and the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead are all really good choices.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked at the Basalt tripods today. They are quite light, but no where near as stiff as the CF. I had available for comparison the 1127 CF and the 1197 Basalt, which means the main tube sizes were the same, but the CF was 4 section and the Basalt was 3 section. The 4 section CF was a lot more rigid. Where the Basalt models had an advantage is the new twist locks and anti-rotational legs. You can grab and loosen all of the twist locks on a leg and loosen them in one fist, then pull the leg out and tighten each. Very fast, very cool. Collapsing the leg is the same in reverse; loosen each collapse the whole leg, then tight all on one leg with one fist. The salesman (at B&H) said in the next 18 months or so, Gitzo will be using these twist locks and non rotational legs throughout their line, which will be a big improvement.