Canon primes bad sample - what are the odds?

roisin_murphy

<p>I'm in Europe, and i just had a friend in the US, buy me two canon

primes: 50mm f/1.4 and 200mm f/2.8 II, as they are half the price

(what i still dont understand). However he's not a photographer, so he

cant check the quality of the images. We ordered them from jr.com

through amazon. So they are primes, not zooms, so i would say, a

slightly smaller chance of buying a bad sample? what would you say the

odds are, that i'm gonna end up with a back-focusing dirty lens? :)</p>

<p>The canon warranty only applies in the US, it's useless in Europe,

and shipping the lenses back and forth to that friend of mine so he

can ship them back to jr.com, would be a major PITA</p>

People at http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CGWK

wrote:</br>

<i>

...I went through two 24-70 lenses to get a keeper. The 50mm 1.4 took

two tries to get a good one. Unbelievable! When it's good, it doesn't

get any better...but when it's bad, it literally is crap.

</br>

...Just bought a week ago 70-200 F.4 It was bad sample, I returned

it.It is hard to beleive, but looks like Canon has real QA problem.

</br>

...The first 24-70 back-focused badly, and the first 50 1.4 had a lot

of dirt behind the front element...not just a speck...but real dirty.

</i>

Hi, Roisin

I am in rural Ireland so I know how hard it is. I wish I had thought of that one, I have ex-girlfriends in U.S. who know about photography, but I recently paid import tax on a camera. Anywho, I reckon if you can trust your friends you can trust Canon, assuming you are buying new, buying used is another story. The only time I was ripped off was from a seller in U.K. he sold me a crusty old Nikon F4s, you don't always get what you pay for.

Cheers.

That a risk you take.

When I was in Germany it used to totally p%ss me off that gear was so cheap in the States

[sorry guys, its OK to be jealous, isn't it?].

I didn't take the risk and bought all my stuff in Germany.

Out of 5 primes and 2 zooms I never got a dud.

I think it is very easy to get scared by all the whingers on the net, but remember this,

hardly anyone who got a good lense is gonna post and say so, whereas a whole sh%tload

of those who don't scream and whinge and moan on the net until someone takes notice of

them.

As many people have pointed out, a lot of those with a 'woe is me, I've got a crap lense'

story don't even seem to be able to test it accurately enough to be sure anyhow.

Not to say that there aren't some problems - remember Puppy Face and his 70-200 f4 -

but there is also a lot of scaremongering going on too.

If the lenses were really that bad do you think there'd still be a huge battle for supremacy

btw canon and nikon? The pros would stay away in droves if the gear wasn't up to snuff.

regards,

The post that you have referred to is a perfect example of internet misinformation. If Canon produced such unreliable products they would not hold the market share that they do as the worlds largest manufacturer of professional 35mm film and digital SLRs and lense's. The working photographers would have long ago ditched them and found a more reliable manufacturer. read the thread you have posted again and visit the site on my second post to that thread you can open preceding pages of the message boards by clicking on 'next at the bottom of the page to check out the various threads on Canon equipment from working photographers rather than ill informed aspersions cast by people with no sound research to back up their allegations. To answer your question any 'L' lens should give you top performance from the box new. Of course you could pay the full price in the country you reside and get the benefit of a full Canon warranty.

Roisin, you are in a very good situation. You have a friend (whom I take it you can trust!) in the US to buy the lens for you. That means you are effectively covered by US consumer law through him. Also get him to ship it marked 'gift', that way you won't have tax to pay.

I suspect that some of the people compalining about the quality of Canon lenses here have a problem working the auto-focus, don't understand camera shake etc.. There are a lot of beginers here spending thousands of pounds/dollars on pro lenses. Often they blame the camera or lens rather than their lack of skill.

Another option is to look for parallel importers. I just bought an imported lens from 7dayshop.com Be careful if you are buying from ourside the UK though, they are based in Guernsay, which is part of the UK but independant of the EU. But maybe there are other such importers out there.

Here's how to solve your problem - just send them back to Canon USA for warranty

service before you take delivery in Europe. Everyone who has done that has been

satisfied. If enough people start doing this the prices in the USA will climb to those

in Europe and all our worries will be over.

<p>

C Jacobs Photo.net Patron, may 22, 2005; 08:16 a.m.<br>

<i>

Here's how to solve your problem - just send them back to Canon USA for warranty service before you take delivery in Europe. Everyone who has done that has been satisfied. If enough people start doing this the prices in the USA will climb to those in Europe and all our worries will be over.

</i></p>

<p>can you elaborate on that a little more? even if they are flawless, just send them back to be 100% sure?</p>

"Here's how to solve your problem - just send them back to Canon USA for warranty service before you take delivery in Europe. Everyone who has done that has been satisfied. If enough people start doing this the prices in the USA will climb to those in Europe and all our worries will be over."

Eh?

Ever heard of the old phrase, 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'.

Don't know about the US, but most of the Canon repair centres in the UK are contractors, some of em ain't very clever at all. It's a worry sending a broken lens to them never mind a brand spanker.

Roisin, I don't think you will have any problems. Just make sure your friend packs em well for shipping. And if you are very unlucky, you have a full warranty through your friend.

I bought a 24mmf1.4L when I was in New York last year. I didn't think twice about it, the saving was massive. I have no warranty, and I do have a problem with it (very unlikely) I can pay for the repair and still be quids in.

Come on Canon, drop the UK and Euro prices please. 3 out of 4 of my last purchases have been imports.

Roisin--

I don't think that you will have a problem, but you should know that there is always a chance.

I lived in France for a couple of years, and while I was there I ordered an 100 f/2 (great lens by the way) from B&H photo and video. The lens looked like it was in pristine condition, but on closer examination there was a lot oil on an element on the inside of the lens.

So needless to say I sent the lens back to B&H, who handled the situation admirably. I received a new lens that was in excellent condition. The only problem was that the shipper did not recognize that this was a replacement and so I was charged taxes for a second time (roughly 65 euros). I had to haggle with them to finally get them to realize that this was a replacement, but somehow I never did end up getting my money back (though if I spent more time on it I think I could of).

I think that you can save a lot of money by buying in the U.S. Just make sure to deal with a store that will be able to process your exchange (should you need one) quickly and honestly.

I have dealt with B&H a few times when dealing with international shipments and I only have positive things to say about them. I haven't dealt with amazon so I can't tell you about their customer service for these sorts of situations.

Hope this helps.

--Charlie

I'd also like to add that you should probably buy a USA version lens - one that will be under world wide warrenty from Canon.

That way hopefully, if something isn't right with the lens you could probably send it to Canon in Europe for warrenty service.

I saved a few bucks and ordered the gray market version - which is a great deal if you live in the U.S., but a stupid move if you live anywhere else (with the possible exception of Canada).

Instead of sending the lens to Canon in Europe I was obligated to send it back to New York, which is why I was hit with more taxes.

Needless to say that's one thing I would do differently if I had to place another international ordder.

One more thing to think about.

--Charlie

"I lived in France for a couple of years, and while I was there I ordered an 100 f/2 (great lens by the way) from B&H photo and video. The lens looked like it was in pristine condition, but on closer examination there was a lot oil on an element on the inside of the lens. "

The lens I just bought from 7dayshop.com was an EF100mmf2. When I unpacked it, it had a smear of oil on the barrel which I though was strange. I just wiped it off. I'm hoping it's just from the manufacturing process and didn't get wiped off for some reason before packing. Anyway hopfully going to take my first shots with it this afternoon.

"I'd also like to add that you should probably buy a USA version lens - one that will be under world wide warrenty from Canon. "

There is no world wide warranty. Canon USA lenses are sold with a Canon USA/Canada warranty.

I personally wouldn't trouble a friend on these things. How much money can you save in the

long run? Friendship is worth more than that. I live in Sweden and pay very high prices too.

And the chances of getting a "bad" lens is just as great here. Never had to return any of the

Canon zooms or primes I bought. I think the odds are very small that you'll get a dud. But if

something goes wrong then it certainly would be a major PITA for your friend.

-Anna

When you say that they're half the price, I suppose you mean you're not paying S/H nor taxes when buying the lens in the US (but usually you'd be paying at least one or the other), and that your friend is smuggling the lens for you (you must have quite a good friend, indeed), and even then...

The 50 1.4 (grey market) is 300 USD at B&H wich means 247 EUR, which is 286 EUR with (say) 20% VAT. It goes for 370 EUR in Italy (in my case, no S/H), or for 340 EUR in Germany. The prices for the 200 2.8 are respectively 640 EUR (i.e., 527 EUR, i.e., 630 EUR), 730 EUR and 675 EUR

Once you pay VAT, the difference is some 150 EUR: you know if the hassles are worth to you and to your friend. If you're nor paying VAT you're saving another 100 EUR, with some risk to your friend and essentialy no practical way to send the lens back.

I know I would not smuggle a lens for a friend, and I'm not sure if I'd do it for myself (better not to bring the lens with you if you're exiting the EU, and lower resell value).

When I bought my 50 1.4 (BTW, great lens!) I studied the matter thouroughly, including the cost of S/H and the credit card commission on the exchange (that's another 1-2%) and bought it in Germany (from what used to be NY-camera, I lived in France at that time, and the local prices were completely insane); now I buy from digitalfoto: the lowest prices in Italy and they have a pick up point next to my office (no S/H; I pay when I get the stuff, which is nice, given what happened when NY-camera went bankrupt; 10 minutes to return an item)

Ottavio

"I know I would not smuggle a lens for a friend, and I'm not sure if I'd do it for myself (better not to bring the lens with you if you're exiting the EU, and lower resell value). "

Smuggle? Anybody in the US is allowed to send 'gifts' to friends and family in the uk. Should be the same throught the EU. These gifts are exempt from import taxes. It's worth checking up on the customs rules so you get it right. It's perfectly legal.

If you are in the US, buy your lens, throw away the boxes and paperwork (or post them home) and use the lens. No need to declare it. Also be prepared to pay in cash, that way you can usually avoid any state taxes.

If you are unlucky to have a problem with the lens in the first 12mnths, if it's minor, bite the bullet and pay for the repair, you'll still be quids in. If it's major problem return it to your friend appropriately marked (gift again perhaps?)and he/she can make a warranty claim.

Why pay 100's of Euros or pounds than you have to?

Sure, anyone can send you a gift from the US, but that doesn't mean you're not supposed to pay taxes on the gift. Here in Italy, EU directives are applied as follows:

<ul>

<li>If you're arriving from outside the EU you can import up to 175 EUR exempt of duty.

<li>If you're moving from outside the EU you can import essentialy anything without paying duty (of course, you should be able to prove you're actually moving).

<li>Gifts sent from abroad are exempt of duties up to 45 EUR.

<li>Marriage gifts are exempt up to 1000 EUR.

</ul>

If Roisin's friend walks through custom with the two lenses, without the boxes, and a camera, it's so unlikely anyone would notice whether the lenses stayed or left. IANAL, but that still sounds like smuggling to me, and I would think twice before sending them back to the US for warranty service.

<p>If the lenses are sent by courier, you <em>will</em> pay custom.

<p>If they're sent by postal service, you might not, but I suppose they would notice a value of a 1000$.

<p>BTW, you're still supposed to pay taxes on used stuff: by experience, customs are quite good at assessing commercial value of stuff. I have no idea what happens if you declare a proposterous value (they forfeit the lenses? they fine you to death? they make you spend a couple of days lost in burocratic hell?)

... but this is what I just did the last week:

Ordered a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 lens, a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens and 580 EX flash (and some minor accesories, included a SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash) from B&H. The price for the 50mm was about us$300 + S&H (no taxes being an international order with a ship address in a different state). The price for the same lens in Mexico is about us$800 + 15% vat.

Using two next day air shipments (from B&H to a friend and from the friend to a Postal Mail Box at US' border -because B&H won't ship to the PMB orders over us$600) and traveling from Mexico to pick the package, I still got the Canon lens under the price of buying it in Mexico, without considering the huge save in the other lens, flash, memory and accesories (even after directly deducting the cost of all my purchases during the travel, which alse gave my extra savings buying in the States vs in Mexico).

To enter the merchandise into the country I attached the 50mm to a Rebel G (to keep the profile low, as my 20D could attract attention) and the other stuff in the camera's bag. This is legal, as everybody can carry a camera with accesories.

Will I consider the same procedure in the future? No doubt it! (Perhaps just planning ahead to save on next day shipments and, if possible, doing several orders under us$600 to receive the package directly at the border).

You may have a different opinion, but I believe I saved about us$1,000, would somebody give me that much as a gift?

Ruben