Backwards compatibility with smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

jeff_scott5

I have a smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited which I use on my *ist DS. I am

wondering if anyone has tried this 'digital' lens on a film camera.

Try as I might, I have not been able to snag one of the old 40mm

pancake lenses off Ebay for my trusty/crusty ME super. I am tempted

to just put the new 'digital' pancake lens on the ME and give it a try

- can't do any harm - right? Anyone else try this yet? Any results?

Never tried it, but I suspect that it'll give you some vingetting, as it's targeting a smaller sensor size than a standard lens.

I say you give it a whirl. I've had 100% success using non-digital lens on my DS.

Not much to be found web searching, except this:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CA04

DA lenses don't have aperture rings, so I'm not sure how it would work on an ME. On a newer autofocus body it might work OK, since you can control aperture with the body and not the ring--but I'm just guessing.

Many people would be interested in your experiences, though, so please post them if you try this.

Jeff,

A while back someone posted here that they did just that. You might want to search for the posting but I seem to recall that, surprisingly, they had no real issues with it on film bodies. I'd do a search to confirn that though.

The lack of any aperture settings on the lens once mounted on the ME Super is a big problem. I tried a few shots this morning and once the film is developed I'll share the experience. The older 40mm pancake lenses fetch a pretty dollar on Ebay and at reputable dealers. It is more for the novelty of having a tiny lens and it makes the ME pocketable. We'll see how this works out.

Thanks for the posts!

Hi -- I'm the one who posted about using the DA 40mm on my *ist film body. It's a great body/lens combo, and I've had no problems at all. There's no vignetting.

<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FL8b">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FL8b</a>

<p>

<a href=" World's smallest 35mm AF SLR

<p>

Some time back, Mark Lindamood posted here about his more extensive tests of the DA 40mm, and found no problems on film bodies.

<p>

The only issue is the lack of an aperture ring. Because of that, I think the DA 40mm would work best with an *ist, ZX-L, or ZX-7, all of which can easily set the aperture on the body.

I have no problem in real world shooting using the DA40 on my Z-1, that said, I would caution that the DA40 do not have any aperture control and unless your film body had this feature, you will not be able to control it.

Close examination of shoots I've made ( on slide mostly ) do show that the very edge indeed had a very slight amount of vignetting ( about 1/4 to 2/3 stop depending on the scene )under some situations, but this is apparent only with wide open shoot.

I've seen no vignetting using the DA 40mm on my MZ-S. IF it's there it's been pretty insignificant. The MZ-S has no on the body aperture setting so the work around is to simply adjust shutter speed in TV mode until you get the aperture you want. The DA 40mm f/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses to use on that camera. Makes for a really compact carry around roughly the size of a Leica M.