Schwalberg Strap

julio_m

Can anyone post some detailed dimensions and photos? Length, width, and close up shots of the hardware would be good.

I've only seen photos of this strap attached to cameras on this forum. I used to do some leather working and miss the Tandy Leather retail outlets.

If this thing is a good as everyone says, then it may be worth reproducing. I'd like to check it out and see what the costs would be to buy the blanks, hardware and the relatively simple tools necessary to make these up.

Any help would be appreciated.

As I used to construct mine there'd be two short sections, each a split ring for the camera attachment. One section had a D-ring on the other end. The other section had a harness snap. The center adjustable section had a D-ring on one end, harness snap on the other. I also made some center sections of fixed length that had wider middles, instead of using a shoulder pad. With the center removed you had a wrist strap of sorts. They were easy to wear under a jacket and remove without taking your jacket off.

> SP

thx for this link !

Great. I had seen the camera at PHOTOKINA, but I forgot

completely how wonderful it looked.

The Schwalberg strap was the reason, IMO, why the camera

looked so battered. The metal thingies attached

to it could rub freely all over camera and lenscombo ...

Best

In normal use none of the strap hardware beyond the split rings would ever contact the camera, and they'd just rub inside the rings. That camera looks that way because its owner used it as a camera, a tool, rather than something to protect, polish, and fondle. Sticking a D ring and snap 8 inches from the end of a strap shouldn't have much effect on the camera's paint job.

You are of course right, Al, when the camerastap is around your neck. But when taken off and lugged around otherwise the strap added to the camera-use. And this perfectly alright, because there must have been other advantages to use the strap.

Otherwise Bob Schwalberg wouldn�t have invented it.

Could somebody explain what the B. S.- strap did what other straps couldn�t do ?

Best

Jeff Voorhees......

I tried to email you through PN but your address wouldn't come through. Please email me (if you can). I have access to several of these straps. One is an early original and another is a custom made one. I can take "real" photos of them and mail them to you. I'd love to see these back in production.