Review/Recommendation - Camera Bag - The Great Divider

brambor

I would like to recommend a very practical camera bag from Patagonia.

I was to test it during my last trip to the Czech Republic. The bag is

perfect for someone who takes their gear into adverse weather

conditions. It was originally designed for fishing gear. I like to be

brief on strengths and weaknesses. Additional questions could be

formed as reply to this post.

Pros:

Totally Waterproof - You can shower with the bag and no water will

penetrate it.

Velcro Dividers make it easily configurable do the size of your gear.

Velcro Attached clear pockets - For Passport and documents that you

temporarily need to have in hand.

Removable Shoulder strap - great for attaching longer strap or for

attaching the entire back to your sternum while wearing a backpack.

Square Construction - great for unzipping the top part opening and

rummaging through the bag while having the bag attached to your

sternum straps or while being over the shoulder or on the ground

Handles - In addition to the shoulder strap you have available handles

to simply carry the bag. The two handles are possible to join with

attached velcro. Could be attached over the bag but also under the bag

to store handles out of the way.

Superb quality - Patagonia's trademark

Cons

Supplied shoulder strap is too short when fully extended. Someone

might preffer longer shoulder strap but since it is removable you can

easily substitute with shoulder strap of your choice.

Non removable handles - I would have preferred to have the choice to

remove the handles.

Only one choice of color - Actually I could care less but some might.

The link to the bag is here

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=48250&ws=false

Well it means that their stuff is well made, lasts a long time and has a great warranty. The bag is big. It will take in a lot of gear. I carried with me two Canon bodies, One M3 body, One M Lense, Three big Canon Lenses (one in Canon Hard Case), lightmeter, about 40 rolls of film, a few filters, remote shutter, camera cleaning supplies, passport, tickets, Smaller One body shoulder bag from Tamrac, External hard drive and I don't remember the rest.

The price isn't too steep for what you're getting. IMHO - YMMV

I don't officially work for the company but am friends with some of the designers.

Cheers Paul. When it comes to my M carry choice I have my M3 attached to a thin climbrope loop which goes around my wrist but there are situations when you need bags like the Great Divider. It all depends on what you do and where you go.

Based upon some of your photos, Rene, I'm confident that you've communed with nature a bit more than many of us. Certainly a great deal more than I have. <p>

A few years ago, I was listening (on NPR ?) to an interview with wildlife photographer Frans Lanting, who has written, "The tropical forest may be a naturalist's paradise, ... but for a photographer it can be a nightmare. Once you are inside it is all blood, sweat, and leeches. Whatever you take into the forest becomes part of the food chain, whether it is your equipment or yourself." <p>

For guys like Rene, and Frans Lanting, rugged is required.<p>

I'm really more of a city kind of guy, for whom 'the wilds' is defined as athletic fields <i>without</i> a functioning portable toilet, or at least some well-concealed bushes.<p>

I do have 4 wheel drive, though :-)

Based upon some of your photos, Rene, I'm confident that you've communed with nature a bit more than many of us. Certainly a great deal more than I have. <p>

A few years ago, I was listening (on NPR ?) to an interview with wildlife photographer Frans Lanting, who has written, "The tropical forest may be a naturalist's paradise, ... but for a photographer it can be a nightmare. Once you are inside it is all blood, sweat, and leeches. Whatever you take into the forest becomes part of the food chain, whether it is your equipment or yourself." <p>

For guys like Rene, and Frans Lanting, rugged is required.<p>

I'm really more of a city kind of guy, for whom 'the wilds' is defined as athletic fields <i>without</i> a functioning portable toilet, or at least some well-concealed bushes.<p>

I do have 4 wheel drive, though :-)

Looks like a great bag.....but a bit too big. I'd fill it with so much that I couldn't carry it! I'd be interested in a smaller version, perhaps based on a satchel design.

I've had (and still use) Domke's...but they DO wear out, especially the shoulder straps. The rubber "gripper" studs dry out and flake off giving a useless strap that will slip off constantly. I thought about replacing them with "UpStraps", but the attachment clip will slide back and forth on the long strap lug. When these totally wear out, no more Domke's for me. I love canvas and have a Billingham so I might try some more (but they do not have a replaceable shoulder strap either).

I guess we're back to the "perfect bag" discussion!

Domke sells replacement straps for their bags. You cut the old one off and re-thread the new one on. I just did mine a month or two ago, cost $6.00 at the local camera store.

As for Patagonia, that looks like a nice bag, and all their stuff is nice. But compared to Billingham and Fogg, well, you all know about their prices.