positioning to ramp up to full time when I graduate next spring. I

knew I should be carrying insurance at some point soon, but it has

now moved up to very soon. I�ve been accepted into a photography

program in London for the summer, with a possible trip to Russia as

well, and I�m certainly not traveling abroad without insurance on

$5,000+ worth of equipment.

So, does anyone know of any good insurance companies that will cover

that sort of thing on an international basis (something tells me that

leaves out homeowners insurance) at reasonable rates?

I do not know of an american company , but the UK has many great camera insurance companies. Go to a Borders, or Bookstar book store, and look at the British Photo Magazines. Black and white photography , and Digital Photography are two that I can think of. There are many insurance carriers listed in the back of them.The prices are pretty reasonable.

Do not use E&L insurance in the UK, I've had a very bad experience with their sheer incompetence that left me uninsured and unaware for 3 months.

I'm now insured with PhotoGuard, they are more expensive but there is no excess and the terms are far more user friendly, especially for pros. You can hook up with them online, no paperwork needed, just get them to send you out the paperwork in the mail once you've sorted out a policy online.

Insurance companies in the US do not like to insuure world wide. You might try going to a independent insurance agent and look ask him for a Inland Marine policy for your cameras. I had mine insured and was very happy I did so when my Hasselblad was stolen out of a rental car trunk.

good idea... i asked my local state farm agent about it and they quoted me $100 to insure the eequipment under an umbrella policy for the year, including abroad. That would take care of my immediate need to have the equipment covered while i'm in London (and maybe Russia), but i will still need to find a long term solution here in the US that would include business insurance in case someone decides to be really friendly and sue for damages of some sort. I thought there were some specialty insurance companies that catered specifically to photographers?