Aperture Priority - F1N

mark_winter3

You can get aperture priority with the standard finder, as well as with the speed finder, waist level finder, or no finder(shield the screen if you do this, as the light shining straight down into it will throw off the exposure). You just set the shutter speed dial to A, set your aperture, and the exposure will be correct. Whatever finder you use, though, you'll likely need to shield it before letting the camera set the exposure. I believe that all the finders have some sort of provision for this.

You need the AE finder, though, to be able to see the shutter speed the camera has selected. In addition, the AE finder will let you see the aperture selected if you have a new mount lens installed.

The difference is small enough these days(around $50) that I'd suggest that you just go ahead and get the AE finder. The two are fairly comparable in both size and weight(although the AE finder is a little bit bigger), and for all practical purposes completely interchangeable. I bought mine with an AE finder even though I've only used aperture priority about three times on the camera.

Mark,

It's just a matter of guessing and knowing enough about the light to have an idea of whether or not what you picked will work. The AE range goes all the way down to 8 seconds, so there's a pretty good chance you'll get good exposures as long as you're reasonable in your aperture selection based on the amount of light.

My first SLR was an A-1 on which the meter readout LEDs only worked when they took a notion to, which was once every couple of months for a day or two at a time. I learned quickly enough to have an idea of whether or not the exposure would be in range, and have plenty of well exposed rolls of slide film to show for it. Once I got my T70, I realized what all I had been missing, but I did pretty well for the year I used only the A-1.

Like I said, though, with the current prices, it's best to just go ahead and get an AE finder.

I like the the Canon F1N! and I want one. I know that for price/performance/life span, you can not go wrong. With 'Aperture Priority' is what I use most often when using my 'other' camera. I have seen beat up F1N's and near mint ones. Regardless they make a statement, and the FD glass is awesome. I want one, need one, have to have one.

MArk

You'll love the camera. As far as "shielding the viewfinder" when your eye is not pressed up against it, both the standard and AE finder have a little lever that closes a set of "blinds", so that problem is also... well, not a problem. Keep in mind that the F1 has interchangeable focusing screens, and that these screens come in not only various styles, but also various metering patterns from spot to averaging. Just make sure you know which one is in your camera so you know what your meter is reading. This site is a well of info on this subject (and almost all FD gear, as you will notice). You can start here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&viewitem=&item=120086413765&rd=1&rd=1

Have fun.

I beleive you must have an AE Drive on the camera in order for Shutter Priority to work. Correct me if I am wrong. ON my old 1984 F-1 w/ AE finder, the camera will not at all funtion when you set the Ap. for A which you must do to go shutter priority. As I understand I would have to add an AE drive on the camera before it would.

Correct me if wrong.

Dave