Telephoto lens selection (Nikon) for Denali NP ???

michaelbrochstein

I will be in Denali NP at the end of August shooting wildlife etc and am

debating which telephoto lens to rent for the trip (I can't justify buying a

very expensive lens that I will use very very infrequently). My expereince last

year in Denali at the same time of year tells me that a fast lens longer than

300mm is needed (I used the Nikon 70-300 last year and I wish I had had a

longer and faster lens). I will be using a Nikon D200.

One option is the 200-400 but it seems that no one I am aware of (and I

searched) rents this lens. The other options include the 400/2.8. (BTW, I

already own the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters for these lenses and would also

bring them). I will need to be able to fly with this lens as carry-on luggage

in a LowePro Trekker backpack.

Your thoughts?

Have you considered a 1000mm f11 Reflex-Nikkor? Not as pricey as the 400mm f2.8 lens (any variety) and if you have enough daylight, the Reflex-Nikkor should work. The AF 80-400mm VR Nikkor may be another consideration...it is lighter and will go 600mm on a D200 body, but the use of teleconverters is something you have to consider on your own.

Also, air travel with a 400mm f2.8 and a tripod is about max weight for a carry on item of luggage.

Thank you Gerald for your reply. When I was in Denali last year (same time of year) it was apparent that it can be quite overcast alot of the time and that I needed all the light I could get to yield a decent shutter speed. With wildlife that is not sitting still to pose, a fast lens such as a f/2.8 seemed very worthwhile to have. Also, the 80-400, which has an aperature of f/4.5-5.6, is not an AF-S lens and hence focuses more slowly. If the 80-400 was faster (aperature and focusing speed) then it would be the perfect lens size wise to carry (it is certainly much much lighter than the ones I am considering). Thanks again!

You're welcome. I was 'stationed' at Eielson Air Force Base (just south of Fairbanks) from June 1984 to Sept. 1987, but I cannot recall any moose or bear moving really quick.

Here is a local (NW Florida, USA) image taken with the VR 80-400mm lens and a D50 body.

My guess, you could adjust the ISO upwards for less-than-bright sunlight, and perhaps pan on a moving animal. Shooting wide open at f2.8 will get you into a 'you need superb' focus situation for good results.

Travel safe!<div>00Gkbc-30287984.JPG.e5a88255799e4d4f98de4540aee3084b.JPG</div>