Canon 24-70 2.8L, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX or Tokina 28-80 ATX Pro?

glenn_cummings1

I will be purchasing a Canon 30D and would like a quality lens that

will probably be on the body 70% of the time, the other 30% will be

with a Canon 70-200 2.8L. I know that the Canon 24-70 2.8L is a

superior lens, however how does the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX and/or the

Tokina 28-80 2.8 ATX Pro stack up in regards to image quality? Both

are built well and can withstand rugged environments.

Any recommendations or personal experience with either of these

lenses would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

What help me decide to get the 24-70L was the performance wide open (F2.8). Those other lenses were not sharp enough to my eye when used wide open. Also the 24-70L provides better contrast, and color rendition. No the others are not built as "rugged" as the 24-70L either, and remember that ONLY the 24-70L provides true dust/moisture sealing. The others do not offer a sealing gasket at the coupler end. Since lenses are kept over decades, or at least over the life of many bodies, don't fret about the higher cost of the Canon. Put your $$ into the best glass, not the bodies...they come and go.

Also the zoom ring on the Canon is silky smooth, as is the AF switch in comparison to the others.

In short, the Canon provides better sharpness, color, and contrast then the other two.

OK, here we go once again:<br>

- <a href="http://www.photozone.de">Photozone tests</a> ...Canon & Tokina<br>

- <a href="http://www.photodo.com">Photodo tests</a> ... MTF-curves<br>

- <a href="http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=698">Pop photo tests</a> .. all three<p>

You should also consider the Tamron 28-75/2.8 SP XR Di which has been praised a lot.

If you're detail-oriented, you'll likely notice the differences between the others and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L. Whether or not you can live with the differences depends on your tolerance for imperfections. IMO, the Canon is noticeably better than the Sigma. I haven't looked at the Tokina, but suspect the difference is similar. Don't get me wrong, though. The Sigma lens isn't <i>bad</i>, per se. ...but, it's not as good as the Canon, either. :-)

The Tokina is out of the running these days. It's an older design that was okay in its day, but it always lacked sufficient sharpness and resistance to flare wide open. In fact, my copy made a very nice soft-focus portrait lens wide open. My Canon 24-70L and Tamron 28-75 Di are both much, much better at full aperture.

Be sure not to confuse sheer weight with better build quality. It was Canon itself, in fact, that proved the worth of polycarbonate lenses. A lot depends on exactly how the design is implemented. I would rate the Tamron Di as being equal in build quality to Canon non-L lenses such as the Canon f1.8 85mm, and certainly better than the Canon consumer (plastic mount).