the archives about film issues and some great locations to shoot, but

not about checking camera gear as baggage to Europe. Hope I can get

some suggestions.

I would normally take my LF gear as carry-on, but this is the first

time I am traveling overseas with two camera systems. I have decided

to carry my digital SLR system as carry-on because it is a more

likely target for item theft by baggage handlers than is a 4x5 camera

and lenses (I think). Aer Lingus only allows one carry-on bag 18x14x9

so that eliminates being able to get both systems in a single bag.

Here's my questions:

1) I am using a LowePro Photo Trekker Classic for my LF system (Ebony

camera, 4 lenses, meters, holders, etc) and am trying to decide if I

need to invest in a Pelican or Storm Case to protect the system. The

flight has three plane changes each way so six total...a lot of

baggage tossers involved. Has anyone made a trip like this using the

Classic or similar backpack style bag? I would really hate spending

another $200-300 if I didn't have to. I would also hate it if my LF

system arrived in Dublin in poor or absent condition. Perhaps packing

the LowePro in another piece of luggage???

2) I assume that checked luggage cannot be locked, is this true?

Nothing is stated in Aer Lingus or America West's baggage policies.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Cole

www.wildhorizonsphoto.com

on a totally unrelated post, Bill White linked to a pic of a case he bought at Lowe's (of all places), looks interesting, you might want to check it out. <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00G2PD"><u>the link</u></a> to the post, then go down a few names.<br><br>Now, I'd like to go to Ireland sometime this year myself. And, once there, I wanted to do it on foot and bicycle, starting at maybe Cork....as that is where my ancestors are from. Got any info you could link me to that helps keep the cost's down?.....are "townhomes" (i think that's the name they give them over there.....rooms in someone's house) a good idea over there? And what the heck do you do on a plane for all that time. I went from Philadelphia to L.A. and was bored to tears the last hour.......heh

You needto switch to a Thinktank Photo Airport Security roll-on case. Unless you have a large amount of gear in both systems you should be able to fit both into this case.

See: http:/www.thinktankphoto.com

I have no connections to Thinktank Photo. just recommendingthem from my experience.

If you still want to check your LF gear, get a Lightware View Camera case to protect it -and even then I'd put yourlens in your carryon.

Thomas,

Thanks for the link to Bill White's Tool cases. I'll check them out. As for keeping costs down, a bicycle will do it and if you need to rent a car rent a manual transmission one as an automatic will cost three times as much.

Also travel during off season (not April - August). We plan on staying at bed and breakfast places along the way. No plans.

As for the plane time, bring a good long book!

Thanks,

Jim

Ellis,

Thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately, Aer Lingus carry-on restrictions are tighter than those in the US. It is limited to 14x18x9 which makes the Airport Security Roll-on 4" too long.

I will check out the Lightware view camera case, and I appreciate the suggestion to carry my lenses in my carry-on. It is probably a good idea.

Thanks,

Jim

On my trips to Ireland I have had two problems: broken 4x5 camera and Aer Lingus� restrictive carry-on policy. It is a damn dilemma. Because of all my wife�s clothes I agreed to check my camera in what seemed like a good case. But it was broken anyhow. The next trip, post 9/11, was United/Aer Lingus out and Aer Lingus/United return. According to a United site or a US government site, the least restrictive rules are supposed to govern so I thought I�d be OK with United�s two carry-on and size limits. On the first leg of the return at the Dublin airport I was very nicely told to check my camera case (this time a Porter) or stay in Dublin forever. I considered staying but eventually the nice lady told me to just walk on �bold as brass� and don�t stop for anyone. So that worked.

If I were going again now I don�t know what I�d do.

I agree with Ben - go south west and experience some of the most beautiful country in the world. Keep clear of the large centres such as Dublin and Galway as they are expensive and unfortunately for visitors prosperity has changed their previous charm. Try and visit a place called Gouganne Barra which is about an hour from Cork. Has a wonderful history and is a treasure for the LF photographer. Stay at B&B's and if possible rent a car - there are some great rates available if you are patient. Enjoy.

I would not check any expensive and fragile piece of photo equipment on any airline

without it being in a hard case, preferably an ATA case made by Calzone, Cabbage or the

like, or maybe Pelican. I'm having a custom case made by Calzone now for my 8x10 Arca

system, and the service has been great so far, the design we came up with should work

great, and I'm anxiously awaiting the actual case. (I have no affiliation with the company).

I've traveled quite a bit, and I'm always amazed at how poorly checked baggage is treated.

So considering that Ebonys and LF lenses don't come cheap, I would say spending a few

bucks on a good ATA hard case is money well spent. You can get one made to hold your

gear specifically, or just get one with some padding so your loaded backpack will fit

inside.

Some gear that is not fragile, like film holders, could be packed between clothes in normal

suitcases. Make sure they are unloaded, since even if the TSA agent's don't open them, the

stronger x-ray machines used for checked baggage will fog the film.

Backpacks and soft cases are fine for carrying on your gear, but for checking, I wouldn't

even think of not using a hard case designed for air travel and the associated abuse the

case is likely to endure. I would also make sure your gear is insured, since homeowner's

policies don't always cover "professional" photo equipment.

Michael...thanks for the TSA lock tip. I thought I had heard about someting like that. I'll give them a shot.

Ben and Simon... I was planning on spending most of my time in the west and south west based on previous study. My wife and I will spend 3 days in Dublin doing the big city stuff before we rent a compact car and head west to look up some relatives and start enjoying more of the real Ireland. I'll definitely check out the Gouganne Barra area. Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Noah...the ready made ATA cases by Cabbage look to be a promising solution. I am trying to decide weather to order a few boxes of Quickloads from Robert White before I go and have them ship 'em to our hotel in Dublin. Seems like it might be the easiest and most hassle free solution. I do have all my gear insured thru my business policies. Thanks you very much for all your very helpful suggestions.

Jim

I might be being naive here, but if you were to buy or borrow a hard case (preferably a

nondescript-looking one) that didn't look like a camera bag, why shoiuld you have to

worry about baggage handlers? I've travelled a bit and I've never had anything stolen - and

on my last trip, I had 4 cameras in the case. Nobody I know has had anything stolen from

baggage. I'd have said people would be less likely to steal LF gear - it's unusual and hard

to fence. Whereas a D70s should be sellable most places. Maybe you're worrying

unnecessarily?

Jim,

Here's my first-hand experience with checking LF gear and my recommendations. I live half the year in Europe and travel 4-6 times a year back and forth. I now have "stashes" of equipment in each place and have reduced the equipment I carry back and forth.

Earlier, however, I travelled a lot with two 4x5 cameras and 5 lenses. This was my method:

I got a small hard-shell (metal or plastic) rolling suitcase, one like you often see used as a carry-on. I lined the inside of this with 1 1/2-inch poly foam, not too hard. The foam I got was designed for cushioning sensitive equipment when shipping. I cut 6 rectangular pieces of the foam and simply placed them inside the case, making sure egdes overlapped, etc. The top piece was simply held in by the suitcase lid. This became the checked baggage case for my cameras (wooden folders), film holders, and other more sturdy equipment. NOTE: My lenses, light meter and other easily breakable stuff went with me on board in my carry-on bag (I have, on occasion, left a lens mounted on my Wista DX and checked it, no problems).

When loading, I always made sure that the case was full and that the equipment was well-padded or wrapped to prevent friction wear and damage from shifting. When checking the bag, I always asked for it to be labeled "fragile." You can label it yourself, but I think it is better to have the label from the airline you are flying (maybe they take in more seriously, or are more aware of liability...).

I think it is important that the case be relatively small and lightweight. Smaller, lighter bags seem to receive better treatment. The ones marked "fragile" usually get placed on top of the piles of luggage as well.

At any rate, in more than 15 years of travelling like this, I have never had serious damage to anything. Do, however, take lenses, meter and even expensive filters with you in your carry-on. You'll be surprised at how small the volume of really fragile equipment is. A wooden camera folded closed can take a lot of punishment and not sustain any real damage. Film holders too...

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

One small note. While any of the hard cases recommended will almost certainly do the job

unless they are ATA (International Airline Transport Association) rated to withstand the rough

handling of checked baggage it is highly unlikely that, in the event of any damage, your loss

will be covered by insurance. Given that it is well worth the cost of ATA rated cases.

Joe,

Thanks for your response. My first post does agree with you that the LF gear is less likely to be stolen therefore I'd decided to carry on my digital kit and check the LF kit. I am possibly worrying too much, but I have traveled a lot and I know several people who have had items lifted from their luggage since 9/11. I think the solution is a ATA rated case if I can find one that will accept the TSA locks. It doesn't look like the Cabbage cases allow a add-on lock. I need to make a phone call. Thanks again.

Doremus,

Thanks for sharing your travel experience with me. The idea of a hard shell suitcase is another possible option since it is more likely to accept the TSA locks. I think I will still try to find an ATA rated case that will work, and use your suggestion as a back up. The "Fragile" sticker is also a great idea. Many thanks.

Hey Jim,

How are you?

I always wondered if putting fragile stickers on items was just asking for attention from the wrong types.

Have fun on your trip.

Also if you are around May 13th and 14th I will be doing a show at my house.

See Ya,

Ian

The last time I went to Ireland, I also flew Aer Lingus and had the same problem with my 4x5. What I ended up doing was buying a cheap backpack that fit within the requirements and taking the camera itself, lenses and film in that bag as a carryon, without the usual case and put the usual cases inside my checked bag, along witht the tripod and all the other gear. Don't know if that will work for you with both digital and 4x5, but I would try that rather than check any photo gear. If you just wrap the camera and lenses in a little bubble wrap, they should be fine as a carryon. My biggest worry with Aer Lingus was the weight restrictions, but no one ever checked. Just a thought.

Also, most of the security in Ireland and Boston was not familar with large format and I was trying to get hand checks. Carry an unsealed box of film and a 4x5 transparancy or neg to show the screener what was in the box. Just be be sure, I crammed my changing tent in the backpack as well, in case that was needed. Once the film box has been opened, your hopes of getting a hand check go down significantly.

Randy,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. As for the film issue, I think I'm going to let Robert White in UK ship to the hotel for me and then I'll FedEx it all home.

My wife offered to carry the 4x5 stuff, but then that precludes her being able to carry her usual supply of things to keep her busy for 24 hours (she's a watercolorist). My LF kit is at the carry-on limit without any other goodies. I'm still going to check on a workable ATA certified case to ship some of the LF gear.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Jim

I'm pretty sure calzone will put a lockable latch on if you want.

As for the fragile sticker, not to sound jaded or anything, but I honestly believe baggage

handlers would take that as a dare...not to mention that often fragile=expensive to

potential theives.

Shipping film ahead of you is a great idea. It's almost necessary if you shoot 8x10 (the

boxes are huge), but nice for 4x5 as well. I might carry one one box of film with you on

the plane, just in case the shipment gets lost or something.

Hey,

It really blows that you can't take the LF camera as carry-on. Here are my suggestions:

1) Pelican case with that pick-n-pluck foam stuff. The foam is the key . . . none of that egg-crate stuff. With the pick-n-pluck you can make "cut-outs" close to the size (l w h) of your camera and lenses. HELLA DOPE!!!! (Excuse the language I'm a young'n)

2) ATA LOCK. Pelican sells one for $9-12 bucks. YOu set your own combo, ATA unlocks it and maybe steals a minimal amount when they make sure your bazillion dollar lenses aren't a bomb.

3) Remove your ground glass and put it in something else. I dunno why, but when I used to borrow my school's 4x5 and take it on the plane, the ground glass would break.

4) Consider paying the penalty for a bigger/heaver checked item baggage. It's kind've lame right? But would you rather spend an extra $150 to get your 'ra there and shoot with it or have it possibly broken and then try to secure spair parts/lenses, etc in a forign country? IMHO, not worth the time and effort?

For serious, if you're spenidng the cash to go to an "exotic place," why not spend te cash to bring your baby safely and in style?

My final question is this: Would you duck tape a toddler to the front passenger seat of a car instead of buying a child seat?

w0rd!

tizzle

Noah,

Thanks again for the help. I will check with Calzone on the custom lock latch. After thing about the "Fragile" sticker thing, I also decided it would be too much. I think a well padded ATA case with a TSA lock will suit he purpose. I may carry a box of quickloads with me just in case.

Tizzle,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had'nt thought about taking out the ground glass, especially now since I have an expensive Maxwell screen. That will probably go in my carry-on as well.

I will also check out Pelican for the case/lock solution. Thanks again.

Jim