How to tighten the old metal hoods?

anhtu

I have one of those old Leica metal lens hoods (Summitar) and was

wondering if any one has a nifty trick to make them grip the lens

better? - Apart from the obvious replacing the felt (of which any tips

are welcomed) are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

There are something like three variants of the Summitar SOOPD "barn door" hood. Some are only secure on lenses made in particular periods of time.

The oldest has a screw clamp. It will be very secure on any Summitar. However, the screw is easy to bend if you catch it on something. (Mine came that way.) If there's no distinct groove around the front of your lens, you need this version.

The later two (?) versions have spring clamps that catch in a groove around the front of the lens. The earlier one is for a V-shaped groove, the later is for a rectangular-shaped groove. Obviously it works best if the shape of the tab and groove match...

I have the screw-clamp version because I need it for my very early Summitar. But, I also think it's the best design. The whole idea of a shade clipped into grooves on the front of the lens strikes me as too clever, but not very sound.

(I much prefer shades with bayonet mounts, like the lenses for the Topcon SLR, which are also reversible for storage, while letting the lens cap still mount on the lens, not the shade.)

As for felt, get fuzzy ribbon at a craft store. Secure with Pliobond.