Digital doing serious film users a favour ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>A sculptor could produce a more technically-perfect bust of a person in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the effort by scanning their photo into a CAD-CAM milling apparatus than by using a hammer and chisel, but not all of them have gone that way.</i></p>You people seem to think that all photographers aspire to create some masterwork of art. In fact, a lot of professional photography is quite perfunctory. We shoot what the client wants and best not to presume we know better tha they what those wants are, if we want repeat and referred business. To that end, the camera is a tool and the process is a cost, nothing more.

A painting has no purpose other than to decorate a wall. The tools you use to make it have an effect on its appearance. If you paint realistically it doesn't make so much difference, or rather, the tools must be invisible in the finished work; but, then, there's no point in doing that, anyway.

I choose a type of surface and type of paint brush that will get light and colour working in a certain way which seems right to me. That choice might be either to suit one particular subject or for all subjects, though its always both, in different degrees.

The key words are "which seems right to me". And that is what stops a thing from being merely mechanical and gives it a chance to be a Titian (if you are Titian).

I agree Peter A. There are so many here who want to force their serious relationship with

photography down your throat with a verbal plunger ... as if they, and all their "serious" work,

won't be pixel dust before the ground over them has cooled off.

: -)