Next lens for street / travel photography?

qh

Hi all,

I've been playing with Canon 10D and two prime lenses 24mm f/2.8, 85mm

f/1.8 for street / travel photography. I'm quite happy with them in

the last 1 year and a half. It's now time for me to add one more lens

to my collection. I'm really confused ... prime or zoom, quality /

price trade-off, etc.

Any recommendation? Thx

Dang

Thx for your question. Well, first I just felt like I needed to add one more lens without any specific detail. Now I think I want a telephoto lens, longer than 85mm that I already own. I was thinking about the 75-300mm IS USM, then I found the 70-200mm f/4 L but not sure if I can handhold it or is it too instrusive / too long for street photography? The 70-300mm DO IS is certainly the best choice in term of size and convenience for street / travel but its price kills me ... Another choice is a prime lens, says 200mm (any?), but I think I already have 2 primes, so no more ...

I think the 35mm 2.0 fits right in between the 24mm and the 85mm. Small, light, fast and sharp. I use it for my walking around lens on the dRebel or 20D. Otherwise I might look at the 28-75mm Tamron. Good luck.

Hi Dang,

The f4/70-200 is hand-holdable in that it is relatively light for its focal length (compared to, say, the 2.8/70-200). On the other hand, it doesn't have IS, so you need to be sensible with it. I have this lens and love what it can do - it's very sharp, colours are rich... but I found myself leaving it at home quite often because carrying it was not always convenient.

Like you suggest above, I did feel a little bit self-conscious using this lens in urban situations... and I ended up purchasing the 70-300 IS/DO specifically for that purpose. I've not regretted the choice; though it cost more in relative terms, for my purposes, the saving in size was a big deal, as well as the fact that it just doesn't stand out at all when walking about with it. I won't pretend that side-by-side shots taken with the 70-200 and the 70-300 DO are indistinguishable - the DO is softer and less contrasty - but with good post processing, the difference becomes much more acceptable.

First get the Tamron 28-75mm, fits right in between your 2 primes, has great color/sharpness, gives you zoom flexibility which you lack now and costs about 305.00. Next, you could get the 70-200 f/4 which will give you the length you might want someday, together you have 2 good primes, then 2 good-great zooms for most needs and the zooms will cost about 900.00 together. Bob.

Thx all for your recommendations. The Tamron 28-75mm is really a nice surprise to me! How come I didn't notice it. However, the 70-200mm f/4 is still very intrigued. Its length and "white" are ... scary but the quality/price is certainly unbeaten. Dunno what to buy first ... Hmm, wait ... I've heard that 70-200mm f/4 has focus prob with 10D, is that right? 70-300mm DO is great but paying that much really makes me feel guilty, I haven't earned a cent from photography yet ...

So Tamron 28-75mm for more comfortable or Canon 70-200mm for a new vision with "L" quality? What a tough decision!

70-200mm F4 worked fine on my 10D. The 200mm F2.8 will give you something about the same size as the 70-200 f4, black, faster for available light and if you can find a MKI... built in hood. The 70-200F4 has an ENORMOUS hood if you use it... more than half the body length.

Best regards,

aaron

>> The Tamron 28-75mm is really a nice surprise to me! How come I didn't notice it.

You probably do not read a lot in photo.net.

>> Another choice is a prime lens, says 200mm (any?), but I think I already have 2 primes, so no more ...

Why not? I had the 70-200/4 and replaced it with 85/1.8 and 200/2.8. The prime is a bit shorter and, more importantly, black. That makes it a lot less obstructive. The problems is, like with the 70-200/4, the hood. That of the Mk I is shorter but I have Mk II which is really long. Nevertheless, as I am a firm believer in using the hood at all times. I just bear with it.

Oh, and I find the primes to be optically much better than the zoom....

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

OT: I have 5 primes (24/2.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, 200/2.8, 300/4 IS) with no zoom and no real need to purchase one.

The 135mm f/2.8 SF is really nice. In fact, it's much nicer than the 70-200 f/4L for my

purposes. I sold my 70-200 f/4 after barely using it for a year.

Tack sharp wide open and with the softness turned off, and the soft effect is interesting

but not really my main use for the lens.

Otherwise, get something that'll expand your photographic ability set, like a macro lens or

a tilt shift lens. The 45mm f/2.8 TS-E lens would allow you to make some view camera

type movements for effects unlike anything you can do with an ordinary lens.

It seems like the 70-200mm f/4 L with the hood becomes a real "chain gun" on the street, while there is no negative opinion about the Tamron 28-75mm so far.

I think I will first buy the Tamron, then either wait for a cheaper DO lens or add another prime to my bag.

Thank you all for great responses. All of the lenses that I bought were advices from photo.net and I am totally satisfied with them ;)

As I said before, I would definitely go for 70-200mm if it were shorter, or 70-300mm if it were cheaper. Both of them indeed give me a different look.

However, I am also missing a general purpose good/cheap zoom lens (for general / casual occassions). The Tamron is a nice bargain. In fact, I'm a bit unsure which lens I will use more for street photography.

I had no big trouble shooting with primes, zooming ... on foot seems quite OK with me :) I just don't want to carry so many primes in my bags when traveling ...

Yeah, it seems my third lens is really hard to choose ...