parallax compensation. There are three positions for the lever that

works the mechanics of parallax compensation, one is marked with a

single dot, the middle one with two dots and the third is the

infinity symbol. Ok, I understand what infinity means and I guess

that the single dot is for the regular minimum distance setting

(90cm or something like that), but which is the distance

corresponding with the two dots on the finder? Does it make much

difference whether this finder is used on a Contax IIa or IIIa

because of a difference in camera body hight?

Regards

Peter

It's for "group" or something of the sort, likely around 2-3 m. And no, if the minimum setting is for 90 cm, the camera height shouldn't make enough difference at that distance (much less the group photo distance) to cause trouble. What *will* cause trouble is forgetting to change the finder's parallax correction from "portrait" to "landscape" when you focus on that waterfall across the valley...

Hi Peter, I did not find the 427 finder in my various vintage Contax brochures, but I assume it's the late quite odd multifocal "1950's TV-screen-look" Stuttgart silver finish one ? I might be wrong of course.

Could you post a picture of it once mounted of one of your IIa ? I'm sure it would be appreciated by many of us. It's always a pleasure to see a classic RF toy with an external viewfinder fitted in its accessory shoe.

It's even what makes RF cameras "these foolish things" (to paraphrase a Benny Goodman's 1936 standard) IMHO.

Thanks !<div>00CJtn-23734984.JPG.1a4580db93cce4f65a78a9044c42a905.JPG</div>

Ah yes, it's that odd TV-like finder. Just got some pics from a completed auction.

I'm agree with the previous comment about the red dots : one dot is for minimum focusing distance (i.e. 0.9 meter with a Contax IIa), two dots are for the mid-range distance, around 3-5 meters. And of course the infinity symbol for infinity.

Quite an adaptation of the cheap Zeiss Symbolica camera "innovation" on a high-end Contax RF accessory finally.<div>00CJvV-23735684.thumb.jpg.f00d5075a2c0f2724566381a43b45d4c.jpg</div>

@ Nicolas: You wanted to see pics of Contaxes with finders - you're welcome!

The 427 is a strange beast. It's view is somewhat cluttered as it has framelines for 35, 50, 85 and 135mm, all in one. The field of view outside the frames is the 21mm field of view, and that's what I bought it for, there's no less expensive way to get a 21mm finder. As you can see I also have a Zeiss Jena post war turret finder that came in the big package with my second IIa, but this doesn't work with 21mm, it has a 28mm position instead. The 427 is a very useful item to support the decision which lens to use, but for actual shooting the turret finder is way better.<div>00CKKz-23746984.jpg.75adde386b15c80892c862ee900a3495.jpg</div>

Schoenes Marmor Peter !<p>

:-)<p>

You might be interested at the Voigtlander (Cosina) 21mm brightlines viewfinder, just click <a href=http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtacc.htm>here</a> to see it on Mr Gandy's website. $128.00 => 100,00 euros.<p>It is said to be the best 21mm brightlines finder ever made. Have seen one on display in a shop, but never looked through it, alas.

Yep, of course you're right about the Cosina/Voigtlander 21mm finder. But.... I don't want plastic on my Contaxes, I think they get pimples from that (aka Zeiss bumps). I think the 427 will work fine for me for the moment, maybe some day I find an affordable 440...

You might also have a look at the new "Zeiss" (Cosina or Zeiss made ? Not quite clear yet) 21mm external brightlines finder designed for the new Zeiss Ikon (Zeiss/Hasselblad designed and Cosina made) Leica M clone camera.

Announced at the price of YEN 39,500.00 that is around 291 euros... nor that cheap toy actually !

The 440 (late version including the 21mm frame) might definitely be the good deal finally...<div>00CL3N-23766884.jpg.c5d74400d76913992679ad54f5fc717b.jpg</div>