6x9 wide recommendation

walterh

Hello I like my 645 setup but would like to go a bit wider in film format. I am

limited by my scanner to 120/220 film so 6x9 looks like a good selection. The

legendary Mamiya 7II wide angle with its 43mm lens will have to wait due to cost.

I used to shoot 4x5 so light metering is no problem since I prefer a hand held

meter. As for the lens an excellent lens in the 50mm to 65mm range is

anticipated mostly used stopped down. So rangefinder metering is also not a

must. Primary shooting will be landscapes and cityscapes. I realize that this

format recently gained some appreciation since it complements digital Canon and

Nikon setups well. Hasselblads are cheap now but too close to my 645 and the

best wide lenses kept their price for good reason. Is there any overlooked

camera that will give excellent results but is not so popular because it lacks

some features I do not need - like light metering or rangefinder?

Cheers

Walter

How about a roll film adapter for your large format camera?<br>Mamiya Press and Fuji GW/GSW690 rangefinders cameras have nice wide angle options, but are not that common today (and might have some issues due to decades of pro usage).

Look to the later Brooks Veriwide. I say the later because it is less expensive than the first Plaubel Veriwide, although it's a millimeter or so short on the long dimension of the film compared to the Plaubel. (Somewhere long ago I posted the exact dimensions of each, but have forgotten. I can remeasure if you like.)

Both use the 47mm Super/Angulon.

The Brooks uses interchangable backs (Mamiya?), and can be found with the 47mm F5.6. The Brooks can also use 220 film, if that is important.

Some people are daunted by the viewfinder, but an experienced user can use the frame finder. It is accurate.

In addition to the comment above which would give you shifts for architecture and tilts for

landscape, if you need to shoot hand held the ALPA 12 SWA (has shift) or ALPA 12 TC (most

compact 6x9) are worth considering. Of course, if you want something completely off the

beaten path, the Glide 66-17 MST Super 3D is the ticket. Shoots 6x6, 6x9, 6x12, 6x14, 6x17

(with an option for 6x23), has shift and tilt, can be shot hand held, will accept stereo lenses -

who could ask for more? Mated with a Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 5.6/55mm this would be

one heckova camera. Goes for $8-large though.

Bueh - I did sell the view camera a few years ago. Since I do no longer live near deserts and mountains I need to travel a lot for my landscape photography. That is why a smaller (than 4x5) camera makes more sense to me now.

Considering your needs and since Mamiya 7's 43mm is above your budget, I would suggest a Fujica G690 with a 50mm lens. Its coverage is about that of a 20mm lens for 35mm format, and it's of very high quality (high resolution, nice tonality, minimal distortion). It's rather difficult to find, though.

Another vote for the later Brooks Veriwide. It's worth searching for one with the 47/5.6 Super-Angulon, a fantastic lens, rather than the more-commonly-fitted 47/8. In addition to generally having a cult following, the early 47/5.6 projects a wider image circle (less visible fall-off) and is by all accounts sharper than the 47/8. Although not the same lens, the 47/5.6 (non-XL) was probably the model for Schneider's current Digitar and Helvetar offerings. The parameters and (computed) MTFs for the old 47/5.6 non-XL are pretty much identical to the new Schnieder Helvetar for the ALPA.

The Achilles' heel of the Veriwide is the back, which besides doubling the width of the camera tends to develop light leaks due to poor trap design. You can replace the Brooks back with a modern Horseman 6x9 120 or 220 roll film back. To do this you also need a Graflok adapter plate to mate the back to the camera. The result is a small and reliable--if still somewhat quirky--6x9 wide-angle camera.

The Veriwide uses a Compur 00 shutter for which parts are scarce. However, S.K. Grimes has parts and still works on these.

Quite a few valuabale suggestions for such a short time. Thanks!

I had looked for the Fuji GW/GSW690 series but very little luck here on the German *bay.

Matthew the compur 00 shutter problem should not be so severe here. But still my main problem is that due to *bay there are no places anymore where one can have a good look at unfamiliar cameras. I travel a lot but wherever I go its the same story. Recently I have been to S-Korea und there is no ebay (at least nobody I asked uses it) and there are so many photo stores full of the greatest equipment. Unfortunately they want to keep the good stuff and prices are so high I could get new stuff somewhere else at almost the same price. I guess thats the way it is either ebay or many stores with high prices.

I wonder if I should pay KEH a visit on my next visit to the USA? Do they have a real store?

A lot of search to do and to start from these suggestions.

Cheers

Walter

Hello,

I have two recommendations. They are both extremely versatile, extremely high quality, and inexpensive. I have both of them, and use them frequently.

1. A Mamiya Super 23. Not a Press or Universal (they all look similar), but a Super 23. I say this because they have a bellows back, unlike the other two models. They take 120, 220, or 2X3 sheet film, are built like tanks, and have a fairly nice selection of lenses, but they are dedicated for that system only.

2. A Speed or Crown Graphic. You can get a 4X5 model and use it with a 2-1/4 roll film back if you want the utmost in versatility. Or you can get a 2X3 model with a roll film back. These are high quality, extremely versatile machines, and will take a large variety of lenses. The Crowns are lighter and can use shorter lenses because they don't have a focal plane shutter. You can use barrel lenses on the Speeds, though.

Keith

Walter, what's your budget? You've been given suggestions that are nearly as costly as a used 7 II with 43. FWIW, I'm happy with my Century Graphic and 47/5.6 Super Angulon. But there are many equivalent body/lens combinations, as has been pointed out, that will do as well.

Disregarding the suggestion of Fotoman,whose 6x9 offering is still listed as "to be announced," and ALPA, which I didn't take as a serious suggestion since the poster noted it was an $8K option, my sense is that any of the suggested setups could be had for less than the $1,269 KEH wants for just the Mamiya 43mm.

Fuji GSW690. Spectacular 65mm lens. Easy to use (cut off the permanently attached lens hood to make it even easier) and you're all set. Three versions I, II, III. Not sure about version I, but version II and III are pretty much the same. Counter on the bottom displays total number of shots taken. For example, if the counter reads 100, there have actually been 1000 shots taken (you have to multiply by 10). Divide by 8, the number of shots per 120 roll, and you have the number of rolls exposed.

Oh well.....his cameras have been 'coming soon' for several years now. It looks interesting

because you can mount different lenses and also get interchangeable backs.

The Fuji looks like the simplest option. I have been thinking about one for a while but I

already have an SWC.

jmp

Hello Walter,

... I guess you know already ... the MAMIYA 7II does only take 6X7 ... no chance for 6X9 (!?!)

... but my girlfriend has got one, witch i use too. Great cam (small,light,easy and fast to handle,...),

... but no flexibility (shift or tilt lenses, ...)at all!

... + viewfinder by other lenses like the 50mm!

... that is why I got a RZ with the 75shift (looking for the 50mm)

... witch is a hand-hold-muscle-centre too "(

Grueߥ aus Hamburg

Andreas V

So many suggestions will keep me busy. Thanks again.

Well the budget is "significantly lower" than the 7II. So a few suggestions are obove limit but still good to know just in case...

Yes I do know that the 7II will not take 6x9 but it was my starting point because of the impressive optical quality of the WA lenses. 6x7 is ok it does not need to be 6x9 - I just expected more hidden treasures in 6x9. I like the format also a bit better than 6x7. So back to the ebay mailing system monitoring what may come up. Best offers probably come during summer school vacations.