formally after the wedding of the bride and groom. They have allowed

about 1 and a half hours for the shots after the church. It is about

45 mins drive one way. All they want is the RAW data and do the

Photoshop them selves, I.e. as cheap as they can. They are both

interns in the same firm. They have also organised cousin someone to

hold reflectors and act as a assistant. So no the big question how

much should I charge them ?

Scott,

I suggest you charge them as much as you would for doing the whole job on a competitive

basis, less any discount based on your perceived level of experience.

You are part of a creative process and they're asking for you to be a mechanical part. A

CD is normally charged as an extra, and not to undermine your invoice.

Your post reads as though they would prefer you just to charge for the shutter actuation

time - 125x(1/125th), i.e. a whole second !

Gary

I usually have a minimum charge (4 hours). I had a guy that I did headshots for beg me to do his wedding for as cheap as I could. I really did not want to do it, but did it for $200 cash. I was there for an hour and a half. I told them they will not get any CD or proofs at all and that I would upload to Pictage. They could buy prints from there (so I could recoupe some revenue) These people were the biggest pains in the neck! They claimed that the site was not working (bullcrap)and kept saying they want to see their pictures. I finally just gave up and sent a CD. They never said thank you or anything. I think from now on I will stick to my guns. It used to be that people were greatful for a break, Now it is the ones that pay top dollar that are greatful. I guess that is a good thing.

Depends on how badly you want to do this job to get more experience and resulting samples.

You will have at least 3 hours of your time invested, and you are releasing the whole quality

issue over to them to PhotoShop.

IMO, just say no to bad situations where the cards are stacked against you, and spend the

day with friends and family.

I agree with everyone else.

I would also like to add that the date of their wedding will also play a factor in your price and whether you actually want to take this job. Is it a busy fall Saturday that you could book ten times over for a regular package price? If so, it may be to your best advantage to keep the date open. If it's a Friday in the middle of winter and you really want the minimal finanacial gain/experience/whatever, then go for it.

Second, what's it worth to you? Price reflects your talent, time, equipment, location, and what you're giving to the client. It would be difficult for anyone not standing in your shoes to come up with a figure.

Good luck!

Jen

I would agree to a negotiation of the fee as you claim they might want this "as cheap as they can." However, there is no way I would go cheap on giving them copyright and ownership of the images...and there is double no waaay I would give them the raw data. Absolutely do not do this, period. Why would you give unfinished work to any client, or friend for that matter. PROFESSIONAL SUICIDE.

Ugh, sticky situation. Why do you need this job? For the experience/portfolio pics? Then go

ahead, but be wary of how they edit your RAW files since your name will be associated. I'd

charge a half day rate and insist on fixing them yourself. It's your reputation after all. Imagine

if you shot film and they printed it on their shotty computer then framed it and told everyone

that the grainy, yellow cast photos were shot by you! I like the idea of posting them for re-

order online, as least then you make a profit...

Z

figure out how much you would be saving by not worryign about the RAW files. if you think that they don't know what they are doing w/ the RAW files, but you don't need to worry about them showing everyone in a small town, then I think it would be worth doing. make it a nice per hour fee and then that's it.

just make it clear to them that if they handle the raw files, you aren't responsible for anythign after that.

If I were asked to do 1.5 hours locally, I would ask for $400 or so. yeah, I'm not there for a long time, but I'm bringing $10,000 worth of gear to make their images, and I'm going to catch some good images when all is said and done. on the other hand, that's a DC price - if you are in the countryside, it's a different market.

I want the experience but I'm not going to do it for free. Some how I need to get the money to pay for all my KIT :). At the moment my guess is 2-300 euro and they can have a copy of the RAW's what they do is their problem ill do my own Photoshop to start building up a portfolio.

"and they can have a copy of the RAW's what they do is their problem"

Not neccessarily...could very well become your problem and easily involve your reputation. Why would you ever give an unfinished and unedited version of your work to clients. Almost every response on this post cautions you against allowing a client to have your raw files.

Scott I don't know whether shooting just B&G portaits is common in Germany but here in Finland wedding photography is often B&G portaits, often the couple go to a studio and have formal portraits made, traditional studio portraits are popular, some couples may choose to have portraits made outside instead. It is usually about a 1 to 1.5 hours portrait session sometimes before the ceromony and sometimes afterwards.