Free subscribtion to Rangefinder

marcin harla

Give them a "bussiness name" like "Todd Frederick Photography." They have offered free subscription for many years if you're a business, (they don't check credentials), and I think it pays off for them since they are the journal of the WPPI and they offer many major workshops throught the year. I prefer them to PP of A. The magazine used to be very thin, but has been upgraded considerably and is quite informative with great images. The are also thematic, such as a portrait issue, wedding issue, commercial issue, etc.

They also will not contact you about other services or promotions.

It's a good magazine that caters mostly to the wedding and portrait photographer. Once you get on the mailing list you're ON the mailing list. I remember reading a letter to the editor in the Rangefinder way back in the mid 1960's from a retired former studio owner. He said that after writing several times to cancel his subscription, and the magazine kept on coming, the next time they sent him some mail he wrote "DECEASED - Return to Sender!" in large letters on the envelope.

His letter described how a couple of issues later he was still getting the magazine and the latest issue had a long detailed obituary telling all about his life as a photographer. Anyway, he wanted to asure them that he was still alive, just that he wanted them to stop sending The Rangefinder.

Todd, that was 40 years ago and he was retired! If he's still alive I want to find out what kind of cigarettes he smokes...LOL At the time I had a job working at Zeff Supply Company, a stock house catering mostly to the wedding and portrait studios. I think they're out in Brighton now, still in business, but back then they were on the second floor of 36 Bromfield St. in Boston. My dad used to tell me that before WW-II Bromfield St. was where all the camera stores were located in Boston.