Photo quota

Yesterday I had a quota of 119 photos, with 115 photos in my

portfolio. I had reached this amount my participating in forums,

and commenting on photos etc. All of a sudden, today my quota is

86. How did this happen? It would be great if admin could please

inform me ASAP so my photos are not deleted. If this is a problem

of my doing, then I will happily delete certain photos. Megan

Hi Megan,

We give photo quota for participation, based on the number of critique requests, comments given, and ratings given and ratings received. This morning we changed the formula, putting more weight on comments given, and less weight on ratings. The most important factor is number of critique requests.

Part of the reason for this change was to get people with fairly large portfolios to become subscribers. The main aim of the free quota is to give people enough photo quota so that they can upload photos to the Photo Critique forum. People start off with a quota of at least five photos, and submitting a critique request always increases the quota by one. So as long as you submit every photo for critique, you will always be within your quota. If, in addition to that, you rate and comment on photos, and receive ratings, then you will get additional quota (only not as much as before for the these things).

Of course, you can also become a subscriber. This will give you unlimited photos in your portfolio. With 115 photos in your portfolio alread, you really should be thinking about that. At the level of 115 photos, almost everybody is a subscriber. The Trial/Guest status is supposed to be so that you can decide if the site is interesting enough to be worth a $25 subscription.

Your joking right? At 2 years and 135 photos you should also think about becoming a subscriber

Quote:

"Well, we are guest user and don't have any right. So, let's delete our picture. 25 more to go. (Click click..)"

Rights? HA! Since when does a free service entitle the user to RIGHTS?

By the way, and I'm serious, please list other sites that allow free hosting, with the forums that are of equal caliber as this one. And at 25.00/year this site is the deal of the century as far as I'm concerned.

The owners of the site clearly state TRIAL - that means try and see if you like. They also state the suscriber fee is waived if you live in a location where you dont have credit/paypal/or any other means to get 25.00 to them. WHAT OTHER SITE ALLOWS THIS! What do you think would happen if you e-mailed oh, say smugmug and explained you couldn't get payment to them. Your account would be deleted as fast as the admin could hit the DEL button. PBase, another popular one at 23.00/month. E-mail them and tell them your woes - ZAP Cya later.

Bottom line is this place is the best deal, best bargain around, and it blows my mind people think that they are entitled something at the free level.

I'm not done - A quote from an older thread, either from Brian or a moderator. "photo.net receives about 3 million unique visitors per month. If only 1% of those people subscribed to the site, we would not need advertising or advertisers. Unfortunately, the only thing that people seem to disdain more than advertising is the obligation to subscribe to a site which they visit regularly -- an obligation, by the way, which if fulfilled would relieve the site of the need for advertising. So, out of millions of visitors, we have about 3000 subscribers, bless them. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to compute what percentage of the visitors this represents, but if you want an approximation, it approaches 0%"

Pathetic.

Megan. I completely understand where you are coming from. I was in college and you couldn't pry 25.00 out of my hands as those funds were earmarked for "liquid satisfaction".

OK, I'm done ranting.

I would like to sincerly thank whoever thoughfully bought me a gift subscription. It is greatly appreciated and I cannot, no matter how hard I try, to express my gratitude to you. I will now try even harder to contribute to photo.net, by critiquing those photos in the critique forum, and wherever else possible. Thank-you so so so much. Megan

You're right. My post was kind of joking. I don't have any problem with their decision. I can

easily understand their problem because I also was in various internet business and I

pretty well understood your point. Your ranting was quite resonable. I can give you

that.<br>

<br>

First of all, the word "Rights" could be my wrong choice. But..<br>

<br>

"Rights? HA! Since when does a free service entitle the user to RIGHTS?"<br>

<br>

As you can see, I said "we are guest user and don't have any right".<br>

I knew I don't have any rights in ths website. But what's your problem? Did I say something

wrong? I just restated our situation.<br>

<br>

Second of all, I was pretty big website builder and I know the problem of this kind of

business. But don't blame the prospective customer. internet was based on free service

and people loved a free service. Whatever company do, people will do love free stuff

forever! I'm not kidding.<br>

<br>

Finally, my 2 years and over hundred picture isn't mean anything. I pretty like this service

but I am not sure the quality of service. I will immediately pay $25 if I really need this

service. Do you want to know why? Because I'm "dimepincher".

Han, I see where I may have mis-understood your post, due to a bit of a language barrier. You seemed to be coming off as really upset because your quota was cut, but I now see your post as "hey, my quota just got cut, I need to delete some pics".

Anyway, I was ranting, obviously, and it just bums me out when people seem to whine about something they could easily remedy by paying literaly pennies a day.

Megan, Congratulations. It was NOT me who paid your subscription, but I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Han, you call yourself a "dimepincher", but tell us why "freeloader" isn't more accurate. It is a Trial account. Unless you have some justification, such as not being able to afford $25 because you are a student, then the proper response here is not to delete photos down to your new quota, but to clear out. Or else, subscribe.

Seems like you've had long enough to decide which. If you don't think the service is worth $25, you've decided. Don't just keep your portfolio on the site because you don't have to pay. You do. If you don't want to subscribe by now, its time to leave.

By the way, I'm always surprised by so-called "dimepinchers". I recognize that this isn't true everywhere in the world, or for everybody, but in the U.S. and many other places, $25 isn't that much money. I can't understand why someone would continue wasting their time with something that is sub-par and doesn't really meet their needs, just to save $25.00. I don't really want people staying around on photo.net because they think it is "free". It isn't, and interpreting a Trial membership as "free" is dishonest.

Yeap... I have to agree with Brian on this one. Time to end the trial & pay up.

Megan- how wonderful, a random act of kindness:) It's now your responsibility to keep that random act of kindness in motion :)

Brian said > <i> [...] We give photo quota for participation, based on the number of critique requests, comments given, and ratings given and ratings received. This morning we changed the formula, putting more weight on comments given, and less weight on ratings. <b>The most important factor is number of critique requests</b> [...] </i><br>

That's a great news for non suscribers Brian, and I think that's a good deal for making them suscribing cause they're limited by 4 requests a week (not so interesting than 4 per day).<p>

I'd like to say that being a suscriber is very less 'boring' than being not: no adds, no limitations, a 'patron' icon (wow!). I didn't suscribe myself but I've received a gift, that made my day and made me wanting to improve more than ever.<br>

I'll suscribe again next year and I'll give back the gift - <i>are you ready Mister L.D.</i> ; ))<i> ?</i><p>

To conclude : it's worth the $25.

Okay. It's time to leave. But you have to understand something. I am not a millionaire. Yes, I have only $127,34 in my bank account and have to live with that until next month. I have to live with a nasty instant noodles again. However, I am okay with that. If I can finish my master course, it will be better than this. But this is not what I want to talk about. You said "$25 isn't that much money".<br>

<br>

No. $25 is absolutely much money to everyone. Let me borrow my friends speaking. "With $25, I can buy a 2 boxes of instant noodles and live with over 1 month". You can think him as bum but he isn't.<br>

<br>

My 25$ PN subscription is the best money I have spent in photography. I tried to enrol in a

photography workshop earlier this year which cost thousands of dollars. The course was in

the end cancelled and I'm glad I didn't spend the dough because after everything I have learnt

on this website it was not necessary. I have built up much of my knowledge of photography

from here : exposure, filters, lenses, composition. Subscribe and get involved in the critique

forum. Look at other people's work and get your own stuff looked at.