D200 warranty in US

dave_osborne

I'm afraid it will be up the local Nikon company, no such thing as Nikon Europe per se, you have to go to Nikon in each country.

Generally, it is frown upon. Prices in Europe are higher partly because of higher VAT but also higher employer taxes, thus servicing a Nikon in Europe will cost more to Nikon.

Officially the Nikon USA warranty for digital products is not valid in Europe, but if you are lucky they won't care and will service it just the same. If you live in Europe, I would just buy it from Europe and save money by buying film cameras and all lenses from B&H by mail order. I currently live in the US so I bought the D200 as a USA model but if I need to have it serviced in Europe, it'll be out of warranty by the time I return anyway so it doesn't matter. I was also told by Nikon in Finland when I left that they will service my DSLR even if I buy it in the USA - however, since then that service center has been shut down so there are no guarantees.

In general people in Europe are much more reasonable about these affairs than Nikon USA.

It would likely depend if you are in a Europe (country?) location with a passport, a visa, and a return ticket: warranty work might be done on a case-by-case basis. But if you are living in "Europe," chances are a Nikon USA warranty is not going to make you a happy camper.

A tourist in Japan gets a world-wide warranty, but that may mean you have to 'ship' the item to Japan for service if the local Nikon folks do not want to tinker with it.

I'm sure the local Nikons are legally required to obey the world-wide warranty. There's no question about it; the countries which are included are listed in the warranty card.

In EU in fact, I was told the law requires that a company which imports a product have to service it under warranty irrespective of where the product was purchased for at least two years since the purchase (irrespective of how many years the manufacturer's warranty claims to cover). So in fact you should be fine but of course it's not fun to have to go to court to get the repair cost covered.

"In EU in fact, I was told the law requires that a company which imports a product have to

service it under warranty irrespective of where the product was purchased for at least two

years since the purchase (irrespective of how many years the manufacturer's warranty

claims to cover)."

I have a feeling that this may be true with regard to purchases *within the EU*; ie, if you

buy a D200 in, say, Finland the distributors in, say, the UK are required to honour the

warranty issued in Finland. I'm not sure if this is strictly true of items purchased outside

the EU, eg in the US. But in practice the european distributors may be quite relaxed about

it.

Although (turning to the Dark Side) I have heard accounts from Canon-owning friends

that cameras bought cheaply in New York and brought back to the UK subsequently had to

be sent back to the USA for repairs - Canon UK wouldn't touch 'em. So Nikon UK would be

within their rights to take the same attitude.

Thanks folk - so definitely getting the impression I'd be skating on thin ice.. a post on another board seemed to confirm that.

It's a bummer mostly because I travel a lot for months at a time, so having to send the D200 back to base for service if it went belly up would be a major bummer. But I guess that's the way it is.

Cheers again.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Nikon USA web-site (http://www.nikonusa.com)

"...Nikon USA Warranty Policy

Digital Imaging Products

THIS IS YOUR NIKON INC. ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (VALID IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES, ALASKA, HAWAII, CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA, AND THE CARIBBEAN). YOU MUST PRESENT THIS FORM TOGETHER WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE AND PROOF OF PURCHASE DATE (BILL OF SALE) TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE..."

Ans ID = 333