Concerned about my lens (nikkor)...

nirakara

I've tried to search this on the forum but didn't find an answer.

This is about my nikkor 28-80 3.5/5.6 D lens (yes, cheap plastic, not

good).

I've used it before on my Nikon N60, and recently on my D70s.

I've always used it on autofucus, but recently I have been using it

with manual focus sometimes for experiments, switching back and forth

between manual and autofocus. Once I forgot that it was on auto and

was about to turn the focus ring, I say 'about' because I barely

turned it since I am over-cautious and handle things very gently, but

I might've <em>very slightly</em> 'tried' to turn but realized and

stopped. <em>I did take photos after that and they seemed ok to me.

I've posted one here.</em> I might be paranoid but I feel my lens is

very slightly noisier while focussing especially when I switch between

manual to auto, which I think I didn't notice earlier. Is there a way

I can test it to be sure it is OK? What are the usual consequences? I

don't think mine is a worst case scenario. Although it is a cheap lens

I do plan on using it for sometime until I can afford a better one. I

would appreciate helpful answer/s from folks with experience. <br>

Thanks in advance.<div>00GGeu-29742184.jpg.3b7a9afeb0b805822b1051a115d66dbc.jpg</div>

Mr. Bernhard, I saw on your portfolio that these kind of answers are your specialty, but strangely, it did help. I guess, I just wanted to hear something like that.<br>

Any <em>specific</em> technical answers/experiences welcome.

As the previous -- pooh-poohed by you, no less -- poster said: get over it and take pictures. When the AF fails catastrophically, you will know. Before that happens you can interfere with the AF on the lens a whole lot more than once. But be careful anyway.

C,

A friend of mine once did it to MY GEAR, he manual focused my lens (that was on AF mode) with my F100. At that time I looked over and over, made some "test" and finally forgot it.

About noise, everytime I use my 70-300 it looks like it has problems, this happens because it is noisier than my other lenses. I need some minutes to forget it too. ;)

Thanks again all. Flavio, Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I've taken it off my mind since I haven't done anything too drastic. I am curious about the test you did. Could you please let me know what it is if you find time? Just to be more aware of these things.

The "test" I have done was very simple. I made some pictures using AF at the largest aperture to see if the focus was on the spot, and it was.

After that I haven�t worried anymore with the lens, only a little with the camera (to see if AF was calibrated), but without any apparent reason, my pictures were still in focus, it happened because I am a perfectionist.

It was a good test to see that everything was right too. I placed a tripod at the floor, put my watch at the table, focused at an edge of it at the largest aperture with a 105mm micro Nikon, but not in the center AF, at the right AF sensor of my camera (F100). When my eye found the focus, the camera confirmed that with the focus lock. So it looked like what I was seeing was what my camera was seeing too. Made the picture with the timer, developed the slide and then scanned at 3200 dpi to see if the focus was on that edge. And the answer was yes.

So I haven�t worried about calibration of AF, my technique, mirror, focus screen, camera, etc. since then.

Hope this helps!