All around lense

mitch_singer

I am guessing that you are using a Film camera ..in that case...a 24-85 AFS lens or the bigger AFD lens will be a very useful walkaround lens.

If you are using digital, they would still be very useful 36-128mm range.

Hi Mitch,

For indoor pictures I would use fix focals like 24 or 35 mm opened at 1,8 or 2,8 f, there is some serious option in Nikkor line up. For indoor portraits, you have the 85 mm f/1,8.

Another option, fast zooms like 20-35 mm f/2,8 or less faster 24- 50 mm f/3,3-4,5 and eventually a TTL AF independent flash unit.

For pratical reasons, you can carry only a single zoom lens, the well regarded Nikkor 28-105 mm f/3,5-4,5.

Best regards

J.A.

Assuming you have a camera body that is fully compatible with *AFS* and *G* then I would also recommend the 24-85mm AFS G lens as an everyday, all around lens. It's inexpensive in the used market and a good all around performer.

For a cruise, IMO, this lens would be wide enough on a film body, but if you are using a DSLR, you'd probably want something wider to supplement it.

KL

I had a Nikon 28-105 ED IF zoom that I loved but later sold it. Now I'm more interested in shooting wide so the 17-35mm AF-S would be my first choice for an all around lens, probably more likely to get the Nikon 18-35mm though as funds for the former aren't likely to appear anytime soon...

Dave